The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:44 pm 
TDC Member

I have today received my halogen headlamp conversion kit from Rimmer Bros and was disappointed to discover that the "Fitting Instructions" is one - barely legible - drawing relating to the H4 wiring harnesses supplied with the kit. There is nothing which describes what to do with the other wires, connectors and fuses.

Can someone direct me to the correct place on the forum where there are more details on the installation of this kit? In particular, where does this kit connect back to the existing headlamp wiring? At the main light switch? At the flasher unit? Where do the two 15A fuses fit into the picture?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:40 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Robert, I have the Rimmers halogen kit on my 1850 as well. Good choice.
This is the mechanical fitting sheet I got with mine. The outers are a drop in mechanical replacement. You need the wiring adaptor for the inners. Here is something I wrote for the mag; some time ago.
HTH,
Tony.

Attachments:
Dolomite headlamp relay mod2.jpg
Dolomite headlamp relay mod2.jpg [ 66.37 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]
Dolomite headlamp relay mod 12.jpg
Dolomite headlamp relay mod 12.jpg [ 57.53 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]
halogen fit1.jpg
halogen fit1.jpg [ 102.5 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:10 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Tony,

Thanks - this is very helpful. A couple of questions.

When you say "connect to the stalk" I presume that you mean the main/dip/flasher unit on the steering column? Also, the kit that Rimmer Bros have supplied (which seems to differ from what you received) has two 15A mini fuses pus a couple of items which look like (but aren't!) holders for these fuses. All the literature, including yours, says that 35A rating is necessary, so I cannot understand what purpose the 15A fuses are meant to serve.

Thanks again.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am 
TDC Member

I think that I have now figured out the fuse parts supplied by Rimmer Bros. The plastic parts ARE holders for mini fuses, and while one of the 15A mini fuses will work fine for the DIP relay, the MAIN BEAM relay will require a 30A mini fuse.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:00 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

30a fuse seems excessive.

30 x 12(v) = 360 watts

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:43 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Mahesh. Thanks for your comment. On main beam the power required is 60 + 60 + 55 + 55 = 230 watts. The fuse is rated roughly 50% higher to allow for poor contacts and increased resistance losses.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:15 pm 

Depends how you are wiring but looking at the diagram the load is split.

Also 30a capable cabling is pretty thick to get on crimp terminals.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:01 pm 
TDC Member

Hi again Mahesh. Yes, the load is split, but when the main beam (left hand) relay is in use all 230W are required. On dip, when the right hand relay is in use, only 110W is required so I agree that a 30A fuse is excessive in this case. The kit from Rimmer Bros had two 15A fuses. 15A is fine for the supply to the dip relay (again, 50% excess), but the main beam relay will draw more than 19A.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Robert, Couple of points. I would agree with the 30A fuse for the main beams as the peak current when first switched on is a lot higher than running current. I seem to remember a figure of 8 x running current for some mS. So the fuse has to be capable of withstanding this current surge to avoid nuisance blowing. Somewhere I have the data on this. And a 15A fuse should be fine for the dipped lights.

Ref; your question " When you say "connect to the stalk" I presume that you mean the main/dip/flasher unit on the steering column? " what I was trying to say was that it should be connected to the wire with that colour code running to the lighting stalk, in as few words as possible for the diagram. Sorry about that. I may have to mod that bit.
Where the relays are mounted depends a bit on which Dolomite model you have and how the wiring loom runs between early / late models. For instance on my 1977 1850 the main beam relay is wired near the bottom of the steering column.
Tony.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:45 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Guys. I completed this conversion on May 4-5. Quite a lot of learning took place, and I am starting to write up what I found out. I located the blue/red and blue/white wires from the column stalk by unravelling the wiring in the "rats' nest" along the front of the car and working backwards from the headlights. On my 1975 Sprint the column stalk wires can be accessed on the off side, just in front of and underneath the battery where a fairly large wire bundle heads towards the headlights, sidelights, horn etc. If anyone has a specific question, I'm pretty certain that I can now provide the answer, especially where the kit from Rimmer Bros is concerned!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:48 pm 
TDC Member

Save yourselves the hassle and get a bespoke kit from Jeroen (minus the headlamps). Complete with COMPLETE instructions.
His username on here is SOE8M.
Don't think that if you don't use HALOGEN lamps you don't need relays.......