The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cam gasket leak
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:09 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Finally got the Sprint running with new head, alas I have oil covering the exhaust manifold and the cam gasket is soaked in the stuff. Obviously I will replace, but is there anything I should do to seal it properly?

Post subject: Re: Cam gasket leak
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:24 pm 
TDC Member

I had the same problem but then Alun supplied me with the proper thickness gasket and the problem was solved.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:29 pm 
TDC Member

Stick the gasket to one surface with contact adhesive and use a gasket sealer sparingly on the other face. I had this recommended to me for situations where a long thin gasket might get displaced during installation. I have used it and it seems to work. Helps too when removing as having it stuck to one surface increases the chances of the gasket being able to be reused.

Only other thing is to check both surfaces, especially the cam cover are actually flat! Also that the six 'bolts' can tighten it up and don't bottom out in the holes. I use the type that need an allen key to tighten them up and make sure they are torqued correctly.

Geoff

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 pm 

Quote:
Stick the gasket to one surface with contact adhesive and use a gasket sealer sparingly on the other face. I had this recommended to me for situations where a long thin gasket might get displaced during installation. I have used it and it seems to work. Helps too when removing as having it stuck to one surface increases the chances of the gasket being able to be reused.

Only other thing is to check both surfaces, especially the cam cover are actually flat! Also that the six 'bolts' can tighten it up and don't bottom out in the holes. I use the type that need an allen key to tighten them up and make sure they are torqued correctly.

Geoff
I suspect it could be the allen keys, so add washers. I have also had the cam cover off a dozen or so times to try and get the timing right.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:47 pm 

Yes add some washers because the pins might be bottoming out before they clamp the gasket to the head. Alun has got some proper thickness gaskets which are much better. I also did the same on my inlet manifold because they looked like they could be bottoming out also on mine and if they were not it was close. Make sure the bottom of the holes are free of crap also. Well done on getting it running also :D

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:06 pm 
TDC Member

If theres enough clamping (bolt length etc as suggested), Use rtv on the gasket to cover and leave to dry on a flat surface. No need to add sealer on the head side, in my case anyway. Squib of sealer in the half moons(not the cover side). This allows removal of the cover without disturbing the gasket and seals again. Good luck.

Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:36 pm 

Quote:
If theres enough clamping (bolt length etc as suggested), Use rtv on the gasket to cover and leave to dry on a flat surface. No need to add sealer on the head side, in my case anyway. Squib of sealer in the half moons(not the cover side). This allows removal of the cover without disturbing the gasket and seals again. Good luck.

Tony
Yep I agree and always did it this way when I had a Sprint, however I do it the way someone wants when I build an engine for them. I got fed up with oil getting on the ex manifold when using a gasket.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!