The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Sounds similar to what happened to me, my Magnetronic failed with a MS3 coil, luckily I had points and condenser to change at roadside.

Upon further investigation I found the coil overheating had somehow left it with only about half the fluid it had from new (7 months old).

Ordered MS4, installed with original Magnetronic, all good for around 500 odd miles over a month or so. Failed on the way to Stoneleigh in the middle of the road for no reason. Not the MS4 coil, the Magnetronic this time, again the 25 year old points and condenser came to the rescue. (I forgot to mention, two year old points condenser combo, failed with a couple of months after install).

Had enough of new bits going wrong, so i decided best put the old Lucas sports coil and points back, but due to lack of future old stock availability, pushed forward with 123 dizzy and coil installation.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:18 pm 
Is this the screw that RobSun and matienzo are going on about, it seems to be bending my base plate up a little, does it need insulating underneath the screw? and does it need shorting?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:35 pm 

That looks like the screw, it fixes the electronic unit to the distributer. Try shortening the screw as it is too long and fouls beneath the distributer plate and in my case left the unit loose. In your case it looks to be bending it as you say. If you remove the unit and find signs of tracking and arcing that is probably the issue. Mine was completely black under with soot like deposits. It had been on for 3 years and the main problem was misfiring at cruising speeds with the cutting out you experience on a less regular basis.

As I said earlier I didn't fix mine I binned it only finding the potential cure later.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 pm 
Binned the lumenition, back on points with a decent condenser, when for a 15 mile road test and she runs a treat, well happy now

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:58 pm 
Hear we go again, 100 miles after fitting points and guess what, yep you guessed it, it broke down. I did however take a spare coil for when it broke down and tried that. Nope, different, this is getting a bit tedious now

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 pm 

Worth checking the coil lead to the distributor cap, and also the springed contact.

Also you may want to try another condensor and check the braided earth lead connecting the distributor base plate to distributor body.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:32 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Steve, There are a couple of other things I'd like to suggest. I assume you have the standard A.C. Delco distributor. I had a problem with mine back in 2016 I see, which is very Delco specific.
Stay with the points for now, but trace the white / black wire from the IGN coil neg to where it enters the underside of the distributor. There are 2 weak points. One is about 1/2 in back from where the sliding spade connector to the points is . As you can see on mine this had worn through and was intermittently shorting to earth :-(
The other weak point is where the white / black wire comes through the base of the casting and is knotted to stop it pulling back through.It runs close to the base plate.
To check the problem it might be easier to just completely replace the wire.
Photo herewith.
If this is O.K. let me know as I have another suggestion.
Tony.

Attachments:
wire.jpg
wire.jpg [ 43.98 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

I had that very same wire break a couple of times back in the 80's on different dolly's. Well remembered Tony, and your right, it is on delco's. :?

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:45 pm 
Had a quick check of the wire to the dizzy all looked fine, the car started up first time in the garage no problems, this only caused me more headaches. After another route around I found some red insulating tape over some wires on the ignition switch cable. I had a little pull on the wires and one came out. I'm 90% convinced this is my gremlin. Ive got a new ignition cable on order

Hopefully this is the end of my issues, but I'll keep you updated

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:21 pm 
And it breaks down again, not once but twice. The second breakdown I was able to film on my GoPro, and it was the feeling of a coil giving up. After getting towed back on a rope, I had the engine running at idle until it conked out. Coil was pretty hot. The cars charging at 14.2 to 14.3 volts. I've now changed the alternator to a known good one off my TR6 a 45amp one. and still charges about the same. The dollys wired up from the white wires of the fuse box direct to the coil, and now changed the coil to a Bosch one, but as yet haven't been out with it. Are new Lucas ones known for going tits up? Never had this issue with my TR6 or Spitfire, odd why it should be occurring with the dolly

Any more suggestions please are welcome

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:39 pm 
TDC Member

I don't think Lucas as a company even exist any more, or for many years. Plenty of Lucas boxes about though.
Good move on the bosch coil, should be a good one.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:50 pm 

Hi Steve, Have you tried fitting another as soon as it konk's?

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:43 pm 
Hi Tony, yes I put the Bosch one on it took a bit to get it going, guess it was flooded but it did run however due to where I was and no tools with me I couldn't run the car so it was on the tow rope to get it home

As a none ballast type coil running running direct from the live side of the fuse board white wire is this ok at 14v? I have the blue bosch coil now part number 0 221 119 027

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:07 pm 

Hi Steve, this might be a shot in the dark...... But i had this on a ford 100E a few years back and mounted 2 coils side by side for when it packed up, and like you the coil was getting hot. I ran it like this for a few months and at a show a chap asked why? Told him the story....... He said, get rid of the condensor in the dizzy and mount a nos bosch one (fiesta) on the bulkhead and take the wire straight to the coil. This i did..... hey presto, no more hot coil and no more breakdowns. I have passed this on to other people with same problem and it seems to work :wink:
It's something to do with the condensor getting very hot inside the cap.
It might be worth a try as a genuine bosch condensor is not that expensive.

Tony.

PS the condensors also fit a lot of vauxhall and opel cars.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:35 pm 
Got nothing to loose, I'll give it a try

Cheers

Steve

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next