The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sprint engine.
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:53 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Working on the Sprint yesterday I noticed when looking under the front of the car the line of the engine sump slants down towards the drivers side is this normal? Ie looking at the joint of sump/timing cover. Anyone willing to pop out and see if their car is the same?

I have now got rid of the saggy pattern mounts and now have my original ones back on, but was the same before and after.

Hope a few willing members can just confirm this is normal.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Post subject: Re: Sprint engine.
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:56 pm 

Both my sprints also lean down towards the drivers side Chris. Just make sure the oil pump clears the steering rack mount both mine only have about 8mm clearance in this area. Hope that helps Ron.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:29 pm 

Quote:
Both my sprints also lean down towards the drivers side Chris. Just make sure the oil pump clears the steering rack mount both mine only have about 8mm clearance in this area. Hope that helps Ron.
Thanks Ron, very helpful. Handy to know that clearance too, the pattern mounts I fitted sagged and the engine must have been within 2mm of the rack! I now have my old originals on, minimal delamination, so should be fine, and I’d say I have about 8-9mm clearance. Was curious about the slope of the sump, but if yours are the same that’s how they are. Thanks for the info :D
Just about to post another question now regarding Sprint rockers....

Chris.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:26 am 

I know not everybody agrees with me but some things the Triumph engineers did falls short of the mark in my opinion. These engine mounts are just one example. I converted my drivers side mount to a Cosworth Granada one as it was available and was a much more positive way of holding the engine and enabled me to do away with that annoying steady bar on the other side of the engine bay.
I suppose that when an engineer wanted to do something properly the bean counters stopped them and made them use whatever was available or out of date on another model. This is just one more example as to why BMW are now a major car manufacturer and BL was destroyed by minimal management management.
I know this does not help you on your saggy mounts but I look at a 2002 BMW and compare it with a Sprint and with some decent changes the sprint was the better car.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!