The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fuel Ethanol content
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 pm 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

Does anyone know if there is more ethanol content in Super unleaded then regular unleaded ?
I have used Super unleaded in the Sprint for many years, but with ethanol now being used in the fuel and the potential for causing problems for older engines is it worth reverting back to regular unleaded ? I do use the Millers additive which apparently helps to protect against the effect of ethanol fuel. Can i save myself a few pence in the process ?

Post subject: Re: Fuel Ethanol content
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:35 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

If you are using additive then there is no need to spend the money on super unleaded.
With Shell fuels the E content in the regular and V-power is the same (less than 5%). Esso has nearer 10% in all the petrol variants.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:55 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

The content varies from brand to brand and even from station to station depending on where the base fuel is refined or whether it's summer or winter fuel.

Actually getting specifics from each manufacturer is tricky as very few (if any) can actually give you an answer. Most people source their information from Pistonheads or other similar hearsay. The only fuel I can be sure contains a significant amount of ethanol is Tesco Momentum 99 as it requires a higher ethanol content to achieve the 99 octane rating, though I can't actually give you a percentage.

I don't know where the Esso 10% claim came from? I'm not aware that any fuel in the UK is actually using more than 5% ethanol, using such an E10 fuel would require it to be labelled accordingly and I don't recall seeing any labels on pumps for E10 in the UK. In Esso's case they do actually state that their super unleaded fuels do not contain any ethanol, except if you buy it in Scotland, Devon, Cornwall and Teeside.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:04 pm 

Quote:
In Esso's case they do actually state that their super unleaded fuels do not contain any ethanol, except if you buy it in Scotland, Devon, Cornwall and Teeside.
I changed to Esso after reading in Club Triumphs mag a couple of months ago, more info there if anybody has a copy.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 pm 
TDC Member

Ethanol in petrol isn't new, used extensively during WW2 and prior and the good old Ford Model T was designed to run on it neat, actually that last part is an oft quoted myth. Anyway, all unleaded petrol will have up to 5% Ethanol (E5) as mandated by law (no E10/E85 outlets in the UK that I'm aware) but Super 97 RON isn't covered so can have none. Most suppliers seem to quote real world ethanol figures as 1-2% for 95 RON and less to none in 97 RON. Stick to Esso 97, Avgas or invest in a couple of metres of R9 fuel pipe!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 am 

Quote:
The content varies from brand to brand and even from station to station depending on where the base fuel is refined or whether it's summer or winter fuel.

Actually getting specifics from each manufacturer is tricky as very few (if any) can actually give you an answer. Most people source their information from Pistonheads or other similar hearsay. Teeside.
The info is on the fuel companies websites but yes it does vary which is why they don't give exact percentage just usually 'less than 5%' or '8-10%' etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:43 am 

Quote:

I don't know where the Esso 10% claim came from? I'm not aware that any fuel in the UK is actually using more than 5% ethanol, using such an E10 fuel would require it to be labelled accordingly and I don't recall seeing any labels on pumps for E10 in the UK. In Esso's case they do actually state that their super unleaded fuels do not contain any ethanol, except if you buy it in Scotland, Devon, Cornwall and Teeside.

My bad I was looking at a non uk Esso site, the UK site states as you say no E in Super U/L except in those areas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 am 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

Thanks for the response, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information, i think i will try and search out the Esso Super unleaded for now but still use an additive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:58 am 
TDC Member

My son who has been using my MGBGT as an every day car for the last 4 months rang me with those immortal word. " Dad the car has stopped ". The problem being the entire fuel pipe system had basically dissolved. Everything from the tank to the carbs had to be replaced. Running again now, but how long will the O rings etc in the carbs last ? Only Esso premium fuel will be going in the Dolly and the MG from now on. There is no doubt that ethanol is nasty stuff.