The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Millers CSS 20W/60
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Out of interest, how do you think the quality of oil today compares to that from 50 years ago when these engines were first cobbled together?
Quality / viscosity. Different things
+1

Personally I do not think that the 1850/Sprint engine was 'cobbled together', I think that they were very well engineered by some very talented people. I would suggest that if you need to use a high viscosity oil to maintain pressure that you should be looking to rebuild your engine rather than mask the problem.
Yes, exactly that, cobbled together. Wasn't this the very reason the car was never called the 135 because they couldn't manage to build engines to a consistent standard?: and just like when I removed the cills, one side had red lead inside, the other was bare metal.

My engine was built by Trackerjack and has done 2000 miles, I'll let him know you're calling his abilities into question! ;)

And btw, the engineering and design of the engine isn't being brought into question, the building, manufacture and supply of the parts is.
Triumph was run by accountants not normal people...er.... I mean Engineers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:01 pm 
TDC Member

Don't care if Spen King himself built your engine! If you have to use a 20w/60 to maintain the correct oil pressure then there's something wrong with it.

What's the correct figures, back of a fag packet thinking 30psi idle then 10psi per 1k RPM when hot?

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:08 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
Don't care if Spen King himself built your engine! If you have to use a 20w/60 to maintain the correct oil pressure then there's something wrong with it.
😁

Hehe, made me smile that!

Post subject: Hmm......
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:09 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

What's the correct figures, back of a fag packet thinking 30psi idle then 10psi per 1k RPM when hot?
I think that slant fours should be about 45psi at running speeds?
Somewhere in service notes I am sure I have read that.
Anyhow I can confirm that the oil pressure relief valve is 54 to 60 psi
(page 12.60.32 sheet 3 BL 1850 workshop manual (AKM3628A)).

Ian.