The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:43 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Well I'm nearing the time when I will be able to start doing a little work on my Sprint, when I got it back and into storage a few months ago I only had time for a very quick poke around before the doors were shut and for me not to easily be able to get to it until a couple of nights ago when I had to move it to a new storage place where access to it will be a lot easier and I may even manage to find some time to start work on it 8) 8)
I once again only managed a quick look and poke around at it. Last time I did the obvious and dipped the oil and it never showed up on the dipstick at all which was more than a little concerning, especially as when I last owned it I'd had a full and thorough engine rebuild complete with rebore and crank grind, tuftride (spelling??) and balanced which would of been around 1985 and it has not been taxed since May 1989 so not done huge miles since all that work but who knows what standing in sheds and barns all these years has done to it :shock:
Anyway the other night I crawled underneath while it was on the trailer to find the sump plug just finger tight and oil filter removed so that made me feel better about the lack of oil on the stick :D one of the previous owners since it's been off the road has done quite a bit of messing stripping bits off and out ready for remedial work along with purchasing a few new spares. I found a new in it's box and plastic bag, Unipart oil filter cartridge so obviously between the old oil drained and filter being removed they were on the way towards an oil change which would hint to me that all was well with the engine, the water has also been drained and a full set of new hoses in bags is with the car complete with stainless hose clamps 8)
So back to my original question, I've not seen any sign of the oil filter cartridge cup and bolt although I've not properly searched yet so they may be there. If not which is the preferred option these days, the standard cup and cartridge filter or a conversion to a screw on type oil filter as I'm sure I've seen mention of? If I've got to source a new cup and bolt would now be the time to just do the conversion if that's the preferred way to go or stick with the old way?
Next I guess is who does the conversion kit if that's the way to go or has anyone got the cup and bolt that I 'may' need to fit my new cartridge filter for me to buy off them please?

Once I do manage to start work I'll start a restro thread :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:22 pm 
TDC Member

General thinking is that the original oil filter design is far better as whilst the spin on adaptor is less messy it restricts the flow.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 pm 

Quote:
General thinking is that the original oil filter design is far better as whilst the spin on adaptor is less messy it restricts the flow.
Thanks for this...... and so I better have a search for the filter cup and bolt assemble over the weekend if I get a chance then if I fail to find it in the car stick a wanted add up :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:54 am 
TDC Member

213172 is the bowl part and used on the Stag and TR7 as well. See Rimmers have used (complete with bolt) ones at an eye watering £42, so worth searching!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:21 pm 

Quote:
213172 is the bowl part and used on the Stag and TR7 as well. See Rimmers have used (complete with bolt) ones at an eye watering £42, so worth searching!
£42 :shock: :shock: :shock: think I'll be making one out of a baked bean can before paying them that much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the heads up on the options though :thumbsup: Would I be right to assume that the 1850 would be the same also?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:55 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
£42 isn't that bad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:59 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:
£42 isn't that bad.
Yes it is. There were two amongst Jon's things, they both went for less than £15!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:00 pm 
TDC Member

I'm from Yorkshire and we expect value for money, so £42 for a rusty metal can plus P&P is expensive! :lol:

The 1850 one is the same part.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:04 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
£42 isn't that bad.
Yes it is. There were two amongst Jon's things, they both went for less than £15!
That's because you were selling to to tight northern Dolomite people, if you went on the Stag owners club it would have probably gone for more!! :lol:

(It was a joke, I understand that not all Dolomite people are northern) :wink: :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:05 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
That's because you were selling to to tight northern Dolomite people, if you went on the Stag owners club it would have probably gone for more!! :lol:

(It was a joke, I understand that not all Dolomite people are northern) :wink: :P
I resemble that accusation!
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:14 pm 
TDC Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:03 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

£42 isn't that bad.

Oi!
I'm Scottish not Northern :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:07 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
£42 isn't that bad.
Ahh bugger I wish I'd of checked sooner.......well you know what they say, 'Snooze you loose' :lol: :lol:
Is there anymore in Jon's stuff coming up?

I'll try and get over to the car later today and take a proper look in case it's in there, I don't really understand why if you'd go to the trouble of draining it and putting the sump plug back in all be it just a couple of turns into the threads why not do the same with the oil filter cup???........fingers crossed it's inside and I've missed it!!

Ohh and being Welsh means also being a little tight :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:08 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oi!
Anyone north of the M4 is Northern to me! Don't go across the bridge to the west either, that's where dragons live! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:14 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oi!
Anyone north of the M4 is Northern to me! Don't go across the bridge to the west either, that's where dragons live! :lol:
Yep there's plenty of Dragons over here......obviously not enough though because I 'imported' my wife from Opp Norf in Manchester and she also turned out to be a dragon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: