The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:24 pm 
TDC Member

My 1977 1850HL has the standard exhaust with the cross-ways silencer box and the tail pipe on the RH side of the car. I have checked and rechecked the exhaust and it is perfectly intact with no leaks. And yet the exhaust note is crummy, and doesn't sound at all sporty. It sounds for all the world as though there is a leak in the system. Everytime I start the engine I think how awful it sounds. In all other respects the car is very pleasant, comfortable, reasonably quick for a 46 year old car, but with horrendous wind noise at 70 mph.

What is likely to cause the non-sporty noise? Is it the curious drainpipe of an exhaust manifold, or could the silencers be breaking down internally? I'm tempted to buy the earlier 1850 system that exits on the left of the car, even though my exhaust seems to be in good order, but would it make an improvement?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:27 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

If I remember correctly, the stainless steel Sprint sports exhaust systems can be fitted to the 1850, with an bore increaser on the downpipe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:52 pm 
TDC Member

I don't think I would describe the 1850 exhaust note as "horrible " . MPD never sounded sporty except when the back box was blowing and SWK with the original system on it sounded very similar. I have subsequently changed to the Club's stainless steel system, and that sounds just the same to my ears.
The one that was different was the " Sports " system from Moss on the Sprint. That sounded much more throaty but the centre boxes seemed to fall apart internally and rattled horribly.
Apart from that the Sprint Sports systen lasted quite well.

Tony.