The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:26 pm 
TDC Member

Hi all first time on here I've always wanted a dolomite and thankfully finally managed to get a 1978 dolomite 1500 :) all good for almost a week.
Sadly stopped working just wouldn't turn over checked battery and ignition and traced power to starter solinoid but nothing from there no sound from solinoid so figured that was my issue, I went to rimmer bros and bought one but it doesn't match I've attached photos and wondered if anyone had come across this? The original as you know has 2 threads and 2 spades the new one has 3 threads and one spade? Please help

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:51 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The starter on a 1500 Dolomite is unique to that model. I'm surprised Rimmer Bros were so readily able to supply a solenoid for one.

Will the car bump start? (rolling in gear with ignition on and dump the clutch when moving). That would help confirm your diagnosis...

The Club can supply fully refurbished starter motors for the 1500 on a sale and exchange basis; they have the correct solenoid.

Your photographs aren't visible...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:32 pm 
TDC Member

Cheers for reply, yes I was surprised but I think it's the wrong part, sorry can't work out what I've done wrong uploading image, I'm new to this stuff, will try jump starting it when I have a chance sadly I've recently moved to Newark from Essex and don't know anyone who can help me get it back up hill to my garage if it fails to start but great idea may have someone next week to help push. Didn't know the club did refurbs that's perfect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:14 pm 
TDC Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our parts list; https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=38414

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:06 pm 
TDC Member

I have purchased a 1500 solenoid from Rimmer's in the pass and it worked ok. Unfortunately I am not very mobile at the moment so it is difficult to go out and look at things in the garage.

Can I suggest you go back over some of the tests you have already done when the starter motor will not operate are as follows.
1.The 12volts from the ignition switch is not getting to the solenoid. The contact may have stopped making contact and just needs a good wiggle. It is the lower of the two contacts. Have you accidentally connected it to the wrong terminal on the solenoid.
2. If 12volts is not getting to the solenoid check the link in the gearbox connector. The connector can normally be reached from within the engine compartment and a wiggle or taking it apart and making it several times may solve the problem. See attached photo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:16 pm 
TDC Member

Going back to the replacement solenoid I suspect the smaller threaded connection will be the solenoid connection and the spade connector will be the 12v out to the ignition coil for cold starting. If you have a multimeter you confirm this (small screw connection to earth body of solenoid) but if you do not have one just make the connections as if you have got it the wrong way around you will not do any harm. All you have to do if it does not work is to change the connections around.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:33 pm 
TDC Member

That's great info I'll get on that tonight, I have got 12v at the ignition spade for the solinoid will test out to the body and see how it goes :) thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:36 pm 
TDC Member

It is me again as my copy of issue 220 of Dolly Mixture April/May 2024 arrived in the post this afternoon and it contains on pages 17 and 18 an article I submitted on both the 1500cc ignition circuit and the starter circuit wiring.

I recommend fitting a relay in the starter circuit as it reduces the current that passes through the ignition switch and ensures that the solenoid gets the maximum battery voltage available so helping it to operate. The details of what is needed and how to do it were covered in an earlier edition of Dolly Mixture. I believe it was March /April 2021

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:05 pm 
TDC Member

Have you been able to solve the problem ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:04 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Richard
Thanks for all your help, the solenoid bought at Rimmers was wrong so I've joined the club and ordered a new starter from them, so when it arrives I will hopefully have it going ill let you know how it goes and I have no doubt I'll be needing your expertise again :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:06 pm 
TDC Member

Just an update new part from the club arrived and is now up and running, thanks everybody for your help