The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Shaun - steering clamps
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:10 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Shaun, I bought a pair of rack clamps from you and fitted them ages ago. I noticed that the passenger’s side doesn’t clamp flat. Should I retain the spacer underneath ?
Thanks, Richard

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:42 am 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Hi Richard, please retain the spacer at the bottom - it doesn't really matter that the clamp isn't completely closed.

I've just been checking through some photos and can see the same type of opening. The clamp relies on two methods of retention, physical clamp force on the rack tube and the lip which also stops the rack from turning. To get the clamp to grip the tube, the diameter of the clamp needs to be slightly less than the outer diameter of the rack tube itself - if the former was the same dia or bigger it wouldn't grip the tube.

Therefore because all the rack tubes can vary in dia within a given tolerance, I didn't think it was possible to design the clamp to always sit flat when fastened, hence the small gap.

Bottom line, don't worry about it.

I drive my Hill Climb sprint very aggressively and in 6 years I've never had an issue. I can't see it being an issue on a low mileage road car.

Out of interest, if you can be bothered, have a look to see if there are any raised bits on the tube like a bit of weld or something and make sure the plastic rack centralising bung isn't in there, that can cause that - I can't remember which end that sits if it's still present...they generally aren't!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:28 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Shaun,
I dismantled both sides and had a good look. I found some insulation tape covering a small hole. Any ideas what that’s for ?
Having removed the tape, it fits much better and the clamp covers the hole.
Thanks, Richard

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:19 pm 
TDC Member

When the racks were originally built the hole had a small round plastic plug fitted in it, part number 145108. I have been told it acts as a damper on the rack shaft as obviously there must be some play between the shaft and the racks tube The plastic plug was kept in place by wrapping insulating tape around the rack in the area. When fitted to the car the racks rubber mount pressed in the insulating tape and hence the plug which acted as a damper. When most racks are refurbished the plastic plugs are left out. I do not know how much difference it makes if you leave it out.