The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:22 pm 
TDC Member

Wotcha!

Here we are - end of Mar 2010 - some five and a half months since the last thread on the TDCIR 2010 (even longer since the thread was first started) and there seems to be a crescendo of....................silence!!! At a skittles night on Saturday between the South West Dolomite group and members of the Triumph Sports Six and TR clubs, I was asked where are we at with this event? Last I saw was Mike Groom had kindly offered to look at taking it on but despite a PM or two haven't heard anything. Not seen anything in the last DM either. Anyone have any info?
:P
YB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Its April next week. A lot to do in not a lot of time...

Tempus fugit!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am 
TDC Member

Tempus what? Oh.. Tempus FuGit!

I recall seeing something about this in another thread last night (from TDCUK) in response to someone that TDCIR 2010 hadn't yet been decided on... but can't find it now so perhaps I was seeing things!. :?
Perhaps this is being looked at secretly by other groups. Perhaps TDCHQ can advise us where we are at?

YB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 pm 
I thought that Mr Waldenberg (did i spell that right?) was keen on hosting TDCIR this year but reading back through this thread there is no mention fron Mr W and a lot of folk mention Bletchley park!

I would like to know whats going on so SDD will not clash with TDCIR.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:13 am 
With two fledgling businesses plus part-time employment then I'm in no position to organise but if it is Bletchley Park you go for then I can do some local recceing and liason to suss out suitability.

I've also attended a BMW event here - http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/embertonpark which has camping facilities as well. I'm sure they have had other car events there as well.

I can't volunteer to organise at all - I'm already too busy and working too many hours (so frankly I'd let everyone down) but if it's a matter of a few phone calls to local venues to MK then happy to help.

I also think Gaydon offer facilities to clubs? Cost is £275 http://events.heritage-motor-centre.co. ... rally.htmlAgain a fairly central venue for most people to reach, happy to call if there is interest.

Also Coventry Motor Musuem offer facilities as well http://www.transport-museum.com/groups/tours.aspx for about £60 which again seems fairly convenient for many people.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 am 
Just read earlier threads.

What do people think about pm'ing me proposals for locations and then I'll put up a master list for people to vote on?

It seems some of the venues I mentioned have been used before and there is also a strong desire for other activities for other folks to do.

In terms of volunteers, perhaps having a venue relatively near a cluster of members might make getting volunteers easier and therefore less for each person to do?

As a newbie I might be out of line proposing all this to tell me to butt out if I'm treading on toes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:45 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Bletchley Park just a few miles from me so I would like to help in any way as well if it is here :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:41 pm 
Voting on a location would not be suitable for this thread as there are only a small number of people who use this forum.
what is needed is for someone to say they will organise it (with help) and confirm a location and date. theree will always be a number of people who do not like a location or date but at the end of the day you can not please everyone.
mondeo owner.... Your sugesstions are good but the idea was for TDCIR to a move around so it not in the midlands/ coventry area again (although that would suit me fine)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:51 pm 

Come on I need a date (time and day I mean :D )for this

I might just have a get together in Bletchley Park anyway!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 pm 
TDC Member

TDCIR is traditionally held in September - I think this is on the basis that there should be fewer conflicting events which might produce a higher number of attendances - something which the past few years (not last year) has been suffering from. Having just checked with TDUK the advice is that we don't need to flap too much yet as it
is early days. Having said that it can't be left to just a few weeks before either! I canvassed the Plymouth based group at the beginning- who all seem to think that Bletchley would be a great choice (reasonable distance and a place of not-just auto related).

Until we can be certain if Mike Groom (or even Nutter 81) who mentioned they would be keen to take it on then perhaps Ron it might be best left for a month or so which will take us to almost May by which time we may have some movement. Ho hum!

YB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:08 am 

In all honesty, as has been said before the first thing to sort out is who is going to organise TDCIR. Once we have that, they can organise the venue to suit them.

For some time it was held in the midlands every year. Then as others volunteered the location was opened up. The majority of this club are still in the midlands (I say that with a southerners perception of where the midlands is) so a venue in the midlands is likely to attract the most members/attendees.

A while ago the committee suggested that a venue plan something like, the midlands, the south, the midlands, the north, the midlands, the east, etc etc might work well, this with regional dolly days would give the maximum cover, but tbh, the committee would be happy to accept any reasonable location based upon the willingness of someone to organise it.

So lets not think about where we would all like to go for a meeting and focus on who would like to organise it. I know times have changed for various people who have volunteered in the past and I know some have volunteered in the past have had their noses put a little out of joint, but the key thing here is we need TDCIR and we need an organiser who has the time and commitment to commit to the basic requirements which seem to be:

A venue where the car admirers can park and chat dolomites - this should be free or cheap.
Toilets
Food
Something to amuse those who do not wish to talk dolomites. (for this its reasonable (in the majority of cases) to assume wives and children)

Distance largely irrelevant, some people will prefer every venue picked, some will dislike it for various reasons. You cannot please all the people all of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
For some time it was held in the midlands every year. Then as others volunteered the location was opened up. The majority of this club are still in the midlands (I say that with a southerners perception of where the midlands is) so a venue in the midlands is likely to attract the most members/attendees.
Funny thing perception, I thought the membership bias had migrated southwards in recent years! :D

I did think of the Black Country Living Museum which is a grand day out and has good car park at the entrance, but even with party booking its a tenner in per head. Possibly too rich for those with families to cater for?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:03 am 
What about Beamish? OK, so it's a little further North and they no longer pay exhibitors but they do still allow people who have cars on the show field free access to the museum, the trams and the pub. It's just off the A1 which is dual carriageway down there, so an easy drive from anywhere really. The Nearly everywhere club for pretty well anything (NECPWA) has one of its meets there as do the local Scimitar crowd and Stags have been known to assemble in the car park, 'cos parking on grass would be infra dig for those chaps. :wink:

Click me.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:44 pm 

John, is that you volunteering to organise TDCIR then ?
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm 
I guess I just did that very thing, yes. But I'm almost sure that any venue that far North of the Midlands would never be sanctioned! :lol: :wink:

However, if someone would care to prove me wrong, then why not? I once organised a drinking contest in a pub so, as
Quote:
how hard can it be?
:oops: