The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:47 am 
Anyone have or know the best place to get hold of these, need a pair, seen them @ about £26 each anywhere cheaper (or maybe secondhand) . Thanks Mick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:54 pm 
I have a spare secondhand pair if you're interested, in reasonable condition.

Post subject: In my opinion..........
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:08 pm 
TDC Member

For the longer term,
you will be best advised to ditch the (rubbish design) rubber mounts and instead
fit solid aluminium alloy replacements. Not cheap to buy, but cost effective because of their longevity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:58 pm 
Hello,
Having gone through all kinds of poor running problems with rubber mounts I have to agree,bite the bullet and ditch the rubber in favour of the excellent quality aluminium items available from the club.
Jason.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:04 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Fair point but do you really need them?

The rubber ones are actually ill named...they are a rubber coated tube with flexible joints to the angled metal end plates. They provide a degree of thermal insulation from the manifold. They look like they are perished when the rubber coating looks manky. But the only reason for binning them is if the end joints have started to leak and seperate, which they rarely do. I've changed a few in my time only to fond the replacements looking a sight in 6 months.

Give them a squirt of soemthing volatile in aerosol or listen for a hiss....if they dont leak you wont hear or hiss or it wont pick up speed with the squirt. In which case you can leave them and fix the real problem, which often as not would be the breather tubes or a duff waxstat or float valve.

I have seen one car with the ally mounts and it did run nicely. Next time I need to I'll have a set of them.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:07 pm 
Surely if the carbs and airbox are properly supported then there's no great stress on the 'rubber' mounts? I agree that they can look pretty rough and yet not cause problems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:40 pm 
Having examined a few, I can confirm that I have never seen any which have split all the way through.

Yes they may looked cracked and crap on the outside, but they are made of pretty thick material and personally would think it would take a lot for them to break up so that they actually let air in? :shrug:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 pm 

In 25yrs of sprint ownership i have only every replaced them once,and that was because i was overhauling my carbs and they where not to expensive when i did the overhaul and not because they where perished,but if i where to need a set i would definitely buy the club ones :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:20 pm 
Hello All,
The reason my car now has alloy mounts is, I had issues with the car idling eratically,no matter what I did to adjust the carbs or timing it didn't cure the problem. After a fair bit of faffing about I noticed the condition of the mounts was poor and probably letting in air as the engine moved about. As a test I spread (quite liberally) instant gasket around the mounts and to my surprise it worked, for a while. I replaced the mounts with new rubber ones from the R company. All was good for about 10 months when the symptoms returned. All spares from there carry a 12 month warranty and I got a full refund which went some way to the cost of the ally ones I now have. The original mounts may well be built differently to the ones now on offer,however I haven't looked back since fitting mine,problem solved and the next ally thing to be fitted to my engine will be plug tubes to hopefully get similar results (fit and forget).
Regards
Jason.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 am 
Thanks for all the replies, when I had a closer look the air box mounting had broken (as Edin D suggested) so the carbs were just hanging on the rubber mounts. Fabricated a new mountain with some threaded rod and all seems well now. The car is a lot more responsive now as well, now the carbs are not getting pulled earthwards by the accelerator cable. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:57 pm 
According to a bloke i work with, rubber mounts were fitted to avoid the fuel "from frothing" caused by the carbs vibrating, which no longer happens due to the advance in fuel technology .... how true this is, i dont know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:21 pm 
just read all the way to the bottom of this forum to find its what we posted when looking for my car :D.

Does anyone have a link to the alloy carb mounts?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:09 pm 
Ive got a brand new set of rubber mounts in the garage me thinks!
Drop me a PM if you are interested.
Kato.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 am 
Well I have just replaced both carb mounts on mine as one was definetly split and the air was affecting the combustion mix. The issue seems to be the weight of the carbs and air filter. I put some plastic ties across to the head of the engine to support the lot and it seems a fine job as the carbs cant easilt pull away again splitting the butter soft mounts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:28 am 

old Forum´s thread....but instead of re-opening a new one i jump onto this:

my front carb-mount is cracked completely....looks like my mounts are still the orignal ones fom 1978...car has original 55.000miles (88.000km) so they lasted quite long

as emergency solution i ordered some rubber-ones.....but they are actually in "backorder"

can anybody name me a store/place were i can buy aluminium-ones staight away?

Engine 1850, carbs HS4