The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: The Ho
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:22 am 
I aim to get it on the road ASAP . First problem , I have been let down by the truck picking it up tomorrow .

My transit has a tow bar , now looking for a trailer in Bournemouth area by tomorrow morning .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:43 am 
TDC Member

I hired one from Canford Recovery in Poole for £30 - but that was near on 10 years ago!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:25 pm 
I got a friend with a Transit to collect the car ,and have spent the day cleaning it and trying to make a basic plan and schedule of works .

I have sorted through various parts and bits that came with the car , and photographed and catalogued them , some will be going on E-bAY later - petrol tank , rear screen , side window glass x 6 , and some wheel centres from a non sprint dolomite I think.

The car came with some interesting reading material , including an original sales brochure, the manual, some old magazine articles(1982) , and a wad of receipts for parts from rimmer brothers , many of these parts were in the boot unfitted , still in wrappings , notably , window rubber seals , sprint stickers, a rear roof panel, loads of fasteners, etc.

There was an old log book showing one owner from new until 1996, when the father of the man I got it from bought it.

Looking underneath there has been lots of welding done to a good standard , all the suspension is polybushed at the front , there are new shocks all round , and ver good tyres.

I have taken pictures of the main bad rust areas, I have poked it with a screwdriver and it appears to be surface mainly.

On the surface rust , do I simply wire brush it , clean it , treat it , then paint it?

On the hole in the front panel , what would anyone recommend?
Attachment:
front panel rust.jpg
front panel rust.jpg [ 216.22 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]
Attachment:
bootlid rust.jpg
bootlid rust.jpg [ 141.76 KiB | Viewed 748 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:46 pm 
Here is another underbonnet shot , mainly to see if I have got the sizing right, the photos were taken woth a nokia N8 phone which I use for work , taking pictures of property damage incidents , 12.8mp camera , on a phone.
Attachment:
underbonnetrust.jpg
underbonnetrust.jpg [ 32.21 KiB | Viewed 738 times ]