The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:15 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Drilling the Waxstat Capsule on the bottom will drain the wax and as result it has the same effect than the 2 penny conversion.

http://www.dunlopclassics.co.uk/waxstats.htm
https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/22 ... bay?page=7

people in other forums are reporting that its a small mess when the wax is flowing out.
but i cannot find any pictures.

i drilled a hole from the bottom, completely through the capsule....but nothing was flowing out...the only debriss / metal filings i had, were from the copper-capsule.

watching through the drilled hole i could neither see a chamber where the wax could have been located.

even i understand the general principle, i dont understand the dedicated-principle after what i recognized above:

there is this copper-capsule, looks like a turned-workpiece, made of solid copper.
how this capsule expands? where is this so called "wax"?

what i also recognized is: why the 2 penny conversion, leaving the spring inside the jet?:

the spring could be removed and replaced by some washers, same thickness as the compressed spring, than the copper-capsule, with "drained" wax (where-ever the wax is located) . no messing around during assemly with jumping-out pennies due to the spring-force.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:13 am 
TDC Member

I'm a bit confused at your description of the waxstat capsule arrangement. Forgive me if I have got this all wrong, but have you got a spring on top of the capsule, between the capsule and the jet? There was no spring in my carbs. There was a small steel cylinder that formed a solid connection between the waxstat and the jet. In my photo I was trying the trick of replacing the waxstat capsule with two one penny coins, and you can clearly see the small cylinder on top of the coins.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:08 pm 

below pic shows where the spring is located, usually.

with the 2 penny conversion or a capsule with drained wax the spring is nearly fully compressed.

i guess with your waxstat somebody has already removed the spring and replaced it by a spacer (exactly how i would do it as well, but instead the 2 pennies i would have used the drained capsule)

my question is: where inside the copper-capsule is the wax? (please disregard the black marked plunger in below pic)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:50 pm 
TDC Member

I will attach a photo of a new unmodified waxstat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:51 pm 
TDC Member

Yes I see the spring now. I've forgotten what they were like.

Where is the wax? I've no idea. I didn't try to find out. But they do expand, quite a lot if you heat them with a hot air gun. I'm just pleased to have got rid of them. The standard jet is so simple and has worked for many decades before the waxstat was invented.

The other components I got rid of were the butterfly valves with the poppet valves. My carbs now have plain discs there which should improve the air flow as there is less restriction.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:14 pm 
TDC Member

The copper container is probably a pressing and rolled round once it is full of wax, The wax expands in the same way as the thermostat in the cooling system. The wax expands and presses out the silver plunger.

if there was no wax when you drilled a hole in it, it is likely to have leaked out.

Malcolm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:43 pm 

Quote:
The copper container is probably a pressing and rolled round once it is full of wax, The wax expands in the same way as the thermostat in the cooling system. The wax expands and presses out the silver plunger.

if there was no wax when you drilled a hole in it, it is likely to have leaked out.

Malcolm
my waxstats are new, by the way.

so...like most time...if you want to have a definite info...you need to investigate yourselves:

the wax is behind the silver plunger. it must be a very small amount, just behind the plunger...i drilled both my new waxstat copper capsules and nothing was flowing out (even i drilled them when they were still hot from my former heatgun tests).....neither i could find a noticeable cavity inside the capsule...it looks to be made of solid copper, just in the recess , where the plunger sits, there must be some wax (somehow)....

so after drilling i made a 2nd test with a heat-gun and there wasnt any expansion anymore. so, job done...no pennies necessary and no messing around with finding the correct thickness (amount of pennies)

the waxstat thermostats for the cooling circuits have a quite huge amount of wax, a flexible rubber chamber and its more clear how they work:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:13 pm 

wax wil only be runny when its heated up, or am i over thinking?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:10 pm 

This week i got hold of a set of carbs with "old" original waxstat jets fitted.

those are totally different than the reproduction parts:

on the repro´s the Wax is just a small amount underneath the plunger...without a noticable chamber.
on the orginal ones the chamber is quite big and the seal could be seen from the bottom.
drilling in the centre of the jets , after around 5mm depth, you wil break through into the chamber and a quite huge amount of wax flows out.

so with the original ones its even easier to convert to "fixed" jet...as you just need to drill the jets insitu...no dismanteling necessary, no pennies necessary....so wondering who intervented this penny solution and why?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:05 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
drilling in the centre of the jets , after around 5mm depth, you wil break through into the chamber and a quite huge amount of wax flows out.

so with the original ones its even easier to convert to "fixed" jet...as you just need to drill the jets insitu...no dismanteling necessary, no pennies necessary....so wondering who intervented this penny solution and why?
So your basically saying that with the carbs still on the car, you can simply drill up from the bottom through the copper and drain the wax out, job done??

Dave