The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:11 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Received my Gaz front shocks for Betty recently. When checking the spring seat diameter I have found they are too large.

The internal raised piece that is supposed to sit inside the bottom of the spring is 81mm = 3.2 inch approx.

The OD of my springs is approx. 90mm/3.5in, and the ID appears to be around 2.75in.

Gaz only lists one set of fronts for the Toledo (part GP6-5174), years 70-76. When enquiring with them through the distributor I purchased fron they have said:

"According to our records they should have a spring that is 3 ¼” id, this spring seat size is what we have always supplied on both the adjustable height & fixed height dampers. The fixed height we have been supplying since 2002 & the adjustable since 2017."

I understand that at some point the Toledo got larger size front springs as per the Dolomite, which appears to be the size Gaz are using for the seats.

1.) What size spring seats have other early Toledo owners received with their Gaz?

2.) Is there any evidence that can be cited to prove that earlier Toledos has smaller front springs as stock?

I realise I can get the spring seats turned down on a lathe, however that will be more expense on my pocket on something that has already cost me the equivalent of £300 (delivered to NZ).

I'd rather the distributor and Gaz sent me the correct size spring seat, but it appears they are going the direction of saying that my car has had non stock springs fitted, which I don't believe is the case.

Sorry for the long semi ranting post.