Whats happened to me..................

Carsreunited

Re: Whats happened to me..................

#16 Post by Carsreunited » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:18 pm

THe first crank was Nitrided, the 2nd one wasn't and the 3rd one isn't. From what I understand its too late to have the 3rd one nitrided after its been re-ground(?)<br>
<br>
I don't have an oil temp guage fitted at present but this will be remedied. The majority of Sprint racers I've spoken to prefer the thicker oils over the the thinner synthetic stuff. It gets changed after every race anyway along with the filter.<br>
<br>
Phil, I don't understand why it works better this way. I know people say that the water pushes itself around the cooling system when the engines turned off. Try it yourself sometime, it works very well. My guage drops very slowly unless I do the above method.<br>
<br>
I'm sticking with it as you say John but this season's virtually written off as it is. I'd be happy to get out for the double header at Pembrey in Late September at this stage.<br>
<br>
Scott

<p></p><i></i>

Stephen Grellet

Bearings

#17 Post by Stephen Grellet » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:38 pm

You can Nitride a crank anytime. They heat it to approx 600 degrees C and let it soak in an atmosphere of ammonia gas to harden the surface, although not having a nitrided crank would result in wear more so than rapid bearing failure. I think it is a lack of lubricant to the bearing that has caused this. Is the crank cross drilled. There is some debate over this but I beleive it is better not to have a crsoodrilled crank, ie just an 1850 crank.

<p></p><i></i>

Stephen Grellet

Bearings

#18 Post by Stephen Grellet » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:08 pm

I have just finished rebuilding the motor in my Sprint, and primed the engine oil system using the drysump scavenge pump rotated by a small drill. I had a pressure gauge on it and as I spun the pump, the pressure went to well over 120 psi as there is no relief valve on the scavenge side.I wanted to get oil up into the rocker gear so had to rotate the crankshaft to line the oilways up on the front of the jackshaft. This sends a pulsed stream of oil to the rocker gear which is controlled by the rotating jackshaft.Further rotation of the crank aligns the holes in the block with the big end bearing feed holes which also get a pulsed shot of oil. The oil feed to the bigends and the rockers is not continuous but timed.Because of the speed of rotation of the crankshaft this will not be noticed on the oil pressure gauge. When the jack shaft is fitted it must be timed in relation to the crankshaft. If not done correctly it would be possible to get the lubrication to the b/ends and the rockers coinciding, and perhaps starving the bigends of oil. This would be far more critical in a race engine.

<p></p><i></i>

SprintV8

Re: Bearings and crankshafts

#19 Post by SprintV8 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:25 pm

Found this. <br>
<br>
Nitriding provides wear resistance and improved fatigue performance by strengthening the surface region of the crankshaft. Hardened depths up to 0.8mm are possible although 0.5mm is more common. Compressive stresses, which are generated within the hardened case during nitriding, also contribute to the improvement in fatigue life. <br>
<br>
Scott stick with it.

<p>1980 Dolomite Sprint V8.(Wanted two set's of Hayabusa Throttle Bodies)<br>
1996 Rover 115 (Diesel)<br>
2003 Suzuki GSX1300R (Suddenly everything else look's like prey!)</p><i></i>

Carsreunited

Re: Bearings and crankshafts

#20 Post by Carsreunited » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:12 pm

That's very interesting Stephen. Has anyone else found this? It's something I've not heard mentioned before. <br>
<br>
Sticking with it Phil but very demoralised at the moment. Just want to go racing again......<br>
<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>

Stephen Grellet

Oil Feed

#21 Post by Stephen Grellet » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:46 pm

It is not a problem that would arise providing the jackshaft it timed correctly, and not a problem I have experienced myself as I have always timed the jackshaft. There is a mark on the front jackshaft sprocket which aligns between two timing cover? bolt holes on the front of the engine.Perhaps people have tended to overlook this as the distributor can be timed anywhere on the jackshaft, so the engine will run ok. Given that your problem has been repeated, and that presumably all else is ok, then you have to start looking for odd things.

<p></p><i></i>

SprintV8

Re: Oil Feed

#22 Post by SprintV8 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:12 pm

Trying to remember how it work's.<br>
<br>
Oil is held in the sump pan sucked thru the strainer to the pump and filter,<br>
From there to the main oil gallery which take's a feed to the main bearing's and another to the Rocker's, Chain tensioner and Jackshaft,<br>
Unless the jackshaft has a oil hole feed thru the centre I doubt if it's the Jackshaft at fault.<br>
<br>
Anyone know for sure the oil passage on the Sprint Motor,<br>

<p>1980 Dolomite Sprint V8.(Wanted two set's of Hayabusa Throttle Bodies)<br>
1996 Rover 115 (Diesel)<br>
2003 Suzuki GSX1300R (Suddenly everything else look's like prey!)</p><i></i>

MaddMart

#23 Post by MaddMart » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:43 pm

I keep thinking about this & always seem to come back to the oil strainer/pick-up. Maybe because that's what came loose on mine.

<p><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.dolomitesprint.com/" target="top">www.dolomitesprint.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>

Mark Larmour

#24 Post by Mark Larmour » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:00 am

From the official Triumph Slant 4 Service Training Notes- <br>
<br>
Oil is drawn from the sump through the strainer into the pump and pressure relief valve. Oil then passes through the filer housing to the main oil gallery via the transfer housing. <br>
From the main gallery oil is distributed to the crank bearings, chain tensioner and jackshaft tunnel. Oil is fed to the camshaft from an intermitent feed on the jackshaft front bearing (the big flat). On Sprints the oil is also fed from the jackshaft tunnel to the rocker shaftvia the front angled head stud. From the rocker shaft oil is fed to the cam bearings and rockers. Oil is then returned to teh sump via drain holes in the haed and jacksaft tunnel. Simple isn't it!!<br>
<br>
Philip

<p><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.sprintparts.triumphowners.com">SPRINTPARTS</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>

Carsreunited

#25 Post by Carsreunited » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:49 pm

After reading that, it sounds like the crank gets fed at the same time as the jackshaft tunnell rather than being 'phased'.<br>
<br>
Does anyone else time their jackshaft in? I've never heard it mentioned before other than now.<br>
<br>
Scott<br>
<br>
Edit. I don't doubt what you are describing Stephen, just interested in other experiences as well.

<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p206.ezboard.com/bthetriumphdolo ... eunited</A> at: 23/8/05 9:37 pm<br></i>

MaddMart

#26 Post by MaddMart » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:02 pm

I always line the marks up but, as far as I know, that is just so you get the dizzy to sit in the centre of it's adjustment. If you don't line them up the dizzy can be to one end of the adjustment.<br>
<br>
Martin

<p><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.dolomitesprint.com/" target="top">www.dolomitesprint.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>

Carsreunited

#27 Post by Carsreunited » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:18 pm

Well, I've been playing with the Volvo rad today. Have modified my front spoiler to accomodate. Can't believe how small the standard Sprint rad is in comparison.<br>
<br>
The volvo rad I have has a built in oil cooler which might be handy once I've fitted an oil temperature guage. If the oil is getting too hot and therefore thinning excessively, this might have been a contributing factor too my bearing failures. In which case I'll utilise it, for now I'll leave it alone.<br>
<br>
Incidentally, what oil temperatures do the other racers observe with Sprint engines?<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>

MaddMart

#28 Post by MaddMart » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:40 pm

Can you post some pics Scott. I may go for the Volvo rad mod aswell.<br>
<br>
I've been changing rads today. As you know my fan belt keeps coming off, the reason being that under heavy breaking the crankshaft pulley is hitting the leccy fan guard. Anyway, I have now reverted back to the standard rad & modified (read bent) the brackets so it sits further back. I've also repositioned the oil cooler behind the number plate. Ready to fit the EWP tomorrow all being well.<br>
<br>
Martin

Carsreunited

#29 Post by Carsreunited » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:05 pm

I'll have to work out how to download them from my phone. If you've got a cameraphone I'll text them to you.<br>
<br>
All I've done is cut a chunk out of the spoiler as wide as the radiator is in order to accomodate the extra height over the standard rad. As you probably know the spoiler is double skinned so it took a bit of time with my hacksaw blade but I think it looks OK. It still has rigidity and I haven't upset any of the mounting lugs.<br>
<br>
Glad you are keeping busy. I wanted an ewp but the regs don't allow them.<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>

KLJ895W

#30 Post by KLJ895W » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:30 am

Any news Scott?<br>
<br>
David

<p>1980 Sprint<br>
1980 1850HL with Sprint gearbox, propshaft and axle<br>