The cost of Motor Sport.

Mark Larmour

The cost of Motor Sport.

#1 Post by Mark Larmour » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:47 am

With our local racing season starting here in just over 2 weeks I thought that it would be interesting to do a comparison on the cost of motor sport from different parts of the world.<br>
<br>
Anyone who competes regularly knows that it is expensive, but which country offers the best value (bang for your bucks) in motor sport?<br>
<br>
I have listed some of the fixed costs of motor racing in our race series (in Australian $’s) and some of the features that you get for your money in our race series. If you race in the UK, NZ or wherever please respond and see where we all need to be so we can afford to do more value for money.<br>
<br>
1. Car Club Membership, required to hold a race license. $60.<br>
2. National Competition License. $385. (plus cost of medical examination)<br>
3. Race Series. We compete in the NSW State Championship series. There are 6 meetings during the year, approx 1 each 4 weeks, with 2 meetings at 3 different circuits.<br>
4. Entry fees. Cost varies from circuit to circuit, but the average cost is around $300.<br>
5. Entries. The number of entries vary from circuit to circuit but a “small” entry list would see total entries of 200 cars and a large entry of 300 cars across all categories.<br>
6. Race Meeting. The NSW State series is run for 10 categories with each meeting run over 2 days. Each category has a approx 20 minute qualifying Saturday morning and Saturday PM gives a race of around 6 laps. Sunday AM is generally sees an 8 lap race and Sunday PM a 10 lap final race.<br>
7. Each car must be fitted with a “Dorian” (brand) transmitter. This is used to time the cars during competition by triggering the timing loop which is set into the surface of the circuit. I think the current cost is around $500 but it is a one off cost after purchase.<br>
8. Fuel. We use Premium Unleaded Petrol, which costs around $1.30/litre. Generally I spend more money on petrol for the tow car to get to and from the race meeting than the race car uses all weekend.<br>
9. Tyres. We us a control tyre in our series, a Yokohama A032R, although from this year we will be using A048R. Cost for a 205/60x13=$200.<br>
10. On top of these costs there is the cost of preparing and running the car, but that is a whole new subject.<br>
<br>
Mark.<br>

<p><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.sprintparts.triumphowners.com">SPRINTPARTS</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>

gmsclassics

Re: The cost of Motor Sport.

#2 Post by gmsclassics » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:40 am

I think we get better value in NZ.<br>
Club membership $50<br>
National race licence is $121 which incidentally is the same for a joint race/rally licence that I have. Also another $34 to use a full caged vehicle on the road.<br>
Race entry varies from $130 for one day to $160 for whole weekend.<br>
I race in 2 series, one of 7 and the other 5 rounds, but both overlap. Also do a couple of 'club' events and another hillclimb or two. A single day meeting will be practice and 3 races, a weekend adds another 2. Double that if in 2 series. 6 or 8 laps depending on circuit length.<br>
Local circuits charge about $85 per 'test' day per car. 20 mins cars, then 20 mins bikes and so on until everyone has had enough.<br>
Timing here is still manual so no transponder costs. Have used one but hire was included in entry fee.<br>
I still use Avgas at about $1.75/l at local aerodrome or up to $2.50 at gas station by the circuit. Premium is now $1.55/l and rising daily.<br>
Tyres are just over the grand for set of 4, most brands very similar.<br>
Lets not talk about repairs and running costs, gets too depressing - and no-one mention rear axles please!<br>
<br>
Geoff<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>

Stephen Grellet

Race Costs

#3 Post by Stephen Grellet » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:40 pm

I would concur with Geoff. As a memeber I can hire Teretonga Race circuit for $40.00 per half day and that could be with just myself out there. Race entries for a 2 day classic meeting are $200 -210 and for a hill climb (3 runs sealed road) $60.00. Race Entry for the Dunedin Road Race was $200 which is one of the very few road races run on public roads. Last time I bought Avgas it was $2.00 /litre. I have just finished 4 race meetings (3 x 2 day, 1 x 1 day) and one hill climb, all in February. One race meeting and the hill climb were in the Sprint, and the others in the M3

<p></p><i></i>

Carsreunited

Re: Race Costs

#4 Post by Carsreunited » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:57 pm

Over here the costs are:<br>
<br>
£42. Race licence. (Don't need a medical now for the next 10 years personally)<br>
£90 Club membership.<br>
£45 Compulsary BARC club membership (to race with the CTCRC)<br>
£170 Single race entry. 20min practice, 20 minute race generally. Double header race around £250.<br>
94p per litre for 99RON fuel.<br>
<br>
That's about it I think. As ever, the UK looks expensive!<br>
<br>
Scott

<p></p><i></i>