Spring Rate's

SprintV8

Spring Rate's

#1 Post by SprintV8 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:28 pm

As the new engine is going to be lighter and with a view to do a few Track Day's when it's done I need to change the Spring's,So the question is,<br>
<br>
What spring rates are you using for Road and Track use.<br>

<p>1980 Dolomite SprintV8 (Soon to be shoehorned with a 360bhp TVR AJP V8 !)<br>
1997 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v SE8 <br>
They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same!)<br>
</p><i></i>

MaddMart

Re: Spring Rate's

#2 Post by MaddMart » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:21 pm

I'm only running 175lb all round which aint great but it's ok. I believe the best setup for a Sprint is 400lb fronts & 250 rears. Assuming your new lump is a similar weight to the Sprint engine.<br>

<p>Martin<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.dolomitesprint.com/" target="top">www.dolomitesprint.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>

Carsreunited

#3 Post by Carsreunited » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:55 pm

Good man! <br>
<br>
Mine are similar to what Martin just quoted.<br>
<br>
Get some decent rear tyres as well Phil. I can't believe the difference in acceleration and grip with my new rears. Might as well do the fronts whilst you are at it I suppose.

<p></p><i></i>

Dolly racer 33

#4 Post by Dolly racer 33 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:44 pm

250 is too hard for the back.

<p></p><i></i>

Mark Larmour

#5 Post by Mark Larmour » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 am

We have tried a number of different springs over the years and it really depends on which tyres you are going to run, circuits etc, etc. <br>
On Yokohama AO32Rs we run 400lb fronts and 200lb rears. It is intreseting that on Dunlop slick we used to run 650lb fronts and 325 rears. It appears that the rul of thumb that works best on our Sprints is to have the rears approx 50% of the fronts- you just have to work out the best Front rates!!<br>
<br>
cheers<br>
Philip

<p><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.sprintparts.triumphowners.com">SPRINTPARTS</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>

MaddMart

#6 Post by MaddMart » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:31 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>250 is too hard for the back.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>
<br>
What would you suggest on the back Ken? What are you running with on no. 33 ?

<p>Martin<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.dolomitesprint.com/" target="top">www.dolomitesprint.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>

Dolly racer 33

#7 Post by Dolly racer 33 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:55 pm

When I built my car in '88 I ran 600 front 200 rear. When i bought the car back it still had this set up. I could not make tha car handle as it used to. In the 90's Dunlop changed the construction of the D84J tyre we all ran. I played with sprng rates some more & am now running 480 Front, 160 rear.

<p></p><i></i>

SMIFTER

#8 Post by SMIFTER » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:20 pm

Phil, If your happy with what you currently run, stick with it IMO.<br>
<br>
The TVR lump is going to be loads lighter than the stag engine, and probably significantly lighter than a Sprint engine too!!<br>
<br>
If its used as a road car I wouldn't recommend going mad - with 400lb springs mine did tend to fling itself allover the road when you hit a drain cover - although on track it still wasnt quite enough to drive with confidence although that could have been the tyres. When mines done I'm sticking with the same set up to start with as the XE engine and box is about 30kg lighter than a Sprint set up. If i want a bit more I've got some 525lb springs waiting to go on. The backs I was told were 250lb (they arent marked with the spring rate unlike the fronts) but they could well be something else - All I know I had to turn the dampers to the softest setting to get a decent amount of rear end traction.

<p></p><i></i>

SprintV8

#9 Post by SprintV8 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:15 pm

AJP8 is 65lbs lighter than a Rover V8.<br>
<br>
Cant remember what Rates they are on my Sprint,<br>
<br>
I'm sure they (Front's Ex Rally) came from Richard Hythe (Long time no hear?).<br>
<br>
<br>
May be a case of sucking it and see.<br>
Even thinking about going up a wheel size or two to get a lower profile tyre (Less Roll) and slightly wider,<br>
<br>

<p>1980 Dolomite SprintV8 (Soon to be shoehorned with a 360bhp TVR AJP V8 !)<br>
1997 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v SE8 <br>
They laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at them because they are all the same!)<br>
</p><i></i>

gmsclassics

#10 Post by gmsclassics » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:01 am

I've run 350lb fronts and 200lb variable rears since setting my racecar up about 4 years ago. The advice I got was not to go harder on the front unless only running on very smooth tracks, ie no bumps which certainly isn't the case in NZ. Rear needed to be lighter as much to try to keep both wheels firmly on the tarmac when running without an LSD. I have plenty of photos of my car cornering with a front wheel a couple of inches off the ground. Have thought of going harder on the rear since fitting an LSD but haven't done so yet. Anti roll bars also affect the handling so you need to think about these too. Both my front and rear are considerable bigger in diameter. You'll also need to modify camber to 2 to 3 degrees. A lot depends on how serious you want to get!<br>
Geoff

<p></p><i></i>

kojac77

#11 Post by kojac77 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Can you send me abigger pic offline if you like to me of those mean lookin headers!

<p></p><i></i>