Rebuilt gearbox troubles

gmsclassics

Rebuilt gearbox troubles

#1 Post by gmsclassics » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:05 am

Have finally got my race car back together after new paddle clutch, rebuilt gearbox and a Capri rear axle transplant.<br>
<br>
I am presently running the new clutch in - I'm told I need to do 500-1000km - but am having problems with the gearbox. Have never driven a freshly reconditioned Sprint box before but am finding the gearchange quite stiff, the change slow even on the up but significant difficulty getting from 4th down to 3rd without massive crunching and grinding. Will work at low speds / revs but higher up requires double declutching and matching revs before it wil engage quitely. Clutch is working fine with no apparent drag. G'box had all new bearings and synchro rings in a pack from Rimmers.<br>
<br>
Anyone had similar problems ever? Any thoughts anyone??<br>
<br>
Good to get back behing the wheel after car being laid up for 5 months though.<br>
<br>
Geoff

<p></p><i></i>

Carsreunited

Re: Rebuilt gearbox troubles

#2 Post by Carsreunited » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:57 am

Mine was completely rebuilt. The only gear I have trouble selecting is reverse. Everything is very tight but nothing as extreme as you describe.<br>
<br>
I've no idea on how the paddle system works but if it was foot pedal actuated I would ask: Has everything been bled correctly? Was the clutch system bled off the car or in-situ? Are you getting correct travel on your slave?<br>
<br>
I'm sure the more technical guys may have other suggestions.<br>
<br>
Scott<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>

george

change

#3 Post by george » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:18 pm

if it's coming down the box thats a problem it's usually<br>
syncro related ...faulty ring ,gear spacing etc<br>

<p></p><i></i>