missing petrol cap key!!

sahlou

missing petrol cap key!!

#1 Post by sahlou » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:41 pm

hi there...i am a virgin dolly 1850 automatic owner, beautiful car, very clean with only 47k on clock! however, its not likely to increase as i cant get the petrol cap off....no key and the other 2 i have(doors and boot) dont seem to fit. the lady that owned it (2nd owner) is 92 and hasnt used it for 2 years apart from to have it mot'd and is a bit batty, bless her, so not much help.<br>
<br>
What should i do????? also, what is the best juice to use, should i put super unleaded in or use a mix?? not experienced at all this so be gentle with me,<br>
<br>
much appreaciated,<br>
<br>
sahxxx

<p></p><i></i>

Carsreunited

Re: missing petrol cap key!!

#2 Post by Carsreunited » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Hi there. Lore has it that 1850's are fine with regular 95 ron unleaded.<br>
<br>
I had the same predicament with a Chrysler Voyager at a petrol station last month. In the end, I bought a screwdriver and jammed it into the keyhole. A few seconds of wriggling it about, it turned and came off. I'd suggest a similar tactic for you.<br>
<br>
Welcome to the board. Free advice is a speciality here!<br>
<br>
Scott

<p></p><i></i>

alun n

#3 Post by alun n » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:22 pm

Is the cap lumpy black plastic or shiny metal?

<p></p><i></i>

sahlou

#4 Post by sahlou » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:12 am

thanks for the replies folks! it is a lumpy black one! im not too worried about 'breaking and entering' as long as i dont do anything that will hurt the poor beast. although, if i can get a key then so much the better....<br>
<br>
thanks for the petrol info too. backs up what she said. <br>
<br>
xxsahxx

<p></p><i></i>

PurpleBargeKen

#5 Post by PurpleBargeKen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:28 am

Yep, screwdriver works just fine. If you want a replacement they come up on ebay on a fairly regular basis. Good luck and welcome to the fold.<br>
<br>
Ken

<p></p><i></i>

sahlou

#6 Post by sahlou » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:06 am

all sorted...many thanks you lot!!<br>
<br>
sahxx

<p></p><i></i>

davepoth

#7 Post by davepoth » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:20 pm

As for the fuel, it does depend on what has been put in there previously. If it's been set up properly to run on normal unleaded (there are a couple of adjustments needed under the bonnet to ignition timing and the carburettors, but nothing major at all) there probably won't be a problem with it unless you do a lot of miles, in which case there are additives that you can buy to help. Personally I use super in my Sprint (when it works) but that's because I do a lot of motorways. Avoid LRP if it's still available, the general consensus is that it doesn't do the engine too much good.

<p></p><i></i>