The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dolomite ? Toledo wanted
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:34 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi People. Newbie here and just joined today. Now happily retired and looking for a project. Preferably twin headlight but not crucial. A running restoration would be better but as long as it starts and stops(for loading and unloading from a transporter) and is solid about the chassis then a non mot'd car with some bodywork required would be ok.
I live in Preston Lancashire. The cost of transporting the vehicle would determine the distance / condition and price of car etc
I have brought back to life a series 111 land rover and converted a VW T25 van to a campervan so I actually enjoy getting in amongst it all. I enjoy simple bodywork but I have no welding skills for skilled panel work so that would have to be farmed out before I tackle the mechanics. I look on classic car and ebay etc but joined today to get guidance.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 am 
TDC Member

Good luck with your search.... I'm sure something will turn up before too long.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am 

Thanks youkshire_spam

A bit more north than where you are but what about this?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1068054

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:28 am 
TDC Member

What do you plan on using the motor for? Or just for the fun of working on it?
Some of the Tolly/Dolly options present "interesting challenges" with regard to the parts availability, others less so. For example the 1850 engined models have fewer parts in common than say a 1500 (with the rest of the Triumph/BL range) so you find 1500 engine parts pretty easy to source, but some of the 1850 ones less so. (But the club is great at helping out with parts.... once you get a car well worth the membership fee for access tot he parts alone!)
I have an 1850 Auto, which I'm very happy with! But for "sporting" activities I revert to the Spitfire.

Might be worth getting yourself along to a localish meeting if you can and seeing a few cars?

With regard to the 1850 you link to on C&C... looks ok at a quick glance. overdrive definitely desirable on a manual if you plan on doing any significant distance.
Price doesn't seem outrageous, but well worth seeing it in the flesh and playing hunt the rust on the underside/wings etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm 

Thanks again for the info.
I will be using it for fun, going to meets and the occasional touring in the UK. Possibly 4K miles per year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 pm 
TDC Member

Sam is correct, decide what you really want from the car, and go from there.
On the dolomites, panels and associated repair can be expensive, so buying one with good bodywork is essential. Especially front wings and panel above/around the headlights. Fibreglass wings are available from the club, and fit well. But still not a cheap repair once everything is done.

The car in the advert does look a sensible proposition. From your original post I was thinking you were expecting to pay £1000 or so for a car, but obviously I was wrong! It looks like a car that needs little doing (I said that quickly) and Sam has made all the relevant points about choice of car and so on. 1850 would be my choice, a much more refined engine and capable of serious driving with little effort. And without the hefty Sprint surcharge (for more power, and more perceived worth)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm 
TDC Member

In my opinion the 1850 engine is a GOOD match to the size/weight of the car. Good torque and reasonable power - making it fun to drive, although I'm sure the 1500 owners round here will tell you just the same.
The upsides of the 1850 to me far out weight the downsides, but opinions vary.
If you fancy a sprint you'll need deep pockets! (Or be prepared for a LOT of work/investment)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:39 pm 

Thanks for your input cliftyhanger. The price on that advert is about what I would like to pay. --and expect to add to that over the years to keep it on the road!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:16 pm 
TDC Member

My Toledo came with a 1500 engine and overdrive. After a few engines, including a superb balanced/modified one, I gave up and fitted a TR7 engine (essentially the same as the 1850, very little power difference once you have used the 1850 exhaust manifold). It is a totally different engine despite being the same power as the modified 1500. Smoother, more economical and just feels better. Plus I haven't smashed it.
Downside is the stupid water pump and head stud design. But if OK they are pretty trouble free, and in reality perfectly do-able by a competent home mechanic.