The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:50 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Fair bit of work but all "doable". I would have a good look at the front and back edges of your " at least it opens" sunroof. I recently recovered/rebuild mine and the front and back plates were pretty badly rusted:

Ended up remaking the metalwork as well as recovering it.

Roger
I can almost guarentee mine aren't in much better shape! They give a very defined crunch when pushing those end plates. The vinyl has split on them and have been letting in water for a while. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:32 pm 
TDC Member

Cracked on with a few minor jobs. Door removal first. Wish I could have done this when I worked on it last.

Six bolts came out easy enough

This had been "repaired" before. I knew it was there but foolishly thought it was welded. Not sure why, because welds don't look lumpy. Anyway I poked.

Next up was removing the steering column. This bolt is a right bugger to get at and remove.

Once that's out, undo the column height adjuster and remove the pin that holds the bolt in. Then lift the whole column out.

Then next up was the dash out.

First job was to remove the clocks. Easy enough. Then couple of bolts and screws to remove the whole dash section.

With that out, you can see where I was at last time when I had to pause. No better than it was but no worse. Big difference this time is ok going to cut out the windscreen. That way I can cut out the riveted plates and sort all this properly.

Bit more disassembly and then I can get on with putting fresh metal in.