The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:18 pm 
Hey guys, I figured it was about time I posted up some pics of my car. And the progress pictures I have taken along the line.

I will apologise in advance for the picture heavy nature of this post, I'm quite pictoral hehe!

I must warn you however, I did crash this car a few years ago, leaving a MINT Dolly literally frowning at me, so if you have a sensitive stomach, some of the following images may induce mild nausea or threatening taunting towards my person :snivel: believe me I was not happy with myself.

Anyway onto the story, which is well worth listening to.

When I was 16, I had my heart set on finding an awesome car, but I wasn't like all the other kids, in fact I dreaded the thought of Donning a "Dada" hoodie, driving a Commodore (Vauxhall Nova?), so I looked everywhere for the "dream" car. I originally looked at H series Holden utes, even toranas and at one stage was incredibly inspired by an EH wagon shell in full primer at a wreckers yard. Problem was, it was just a shell, there was nothing else there, to which dad simply said, "Mate....you're aiming a BIT too high..."

After almost giving my hopes up, Dad told me he was going to the new auction shed in Portland to have a look at a 1940 Massey Ferguson Te-20 tractor they had up for sale, and asked if I wanted to come have a look too. Apon arriving at the shed, nothing really caught my eye, until I got bored and started to wander.

Nothing was special, and dad was about to leave (as the TE 20 had no exhaust updraft pipe and was poorly kept, so was far too much work for $4500.00) I spied a roof line behind an old teardrop caravan. I said "dad, hold on a tick, come have a look at this!" And there she was, the most gorgeous car I have EVER seen, a Frost white 1850, in orginal trim with a virtually un-touched interior, minus a few scratches from the removal of some rear venetians.

Dad was quite impressed with the little Dolly, so we aranged an in-house test drive for the following saturday. She started first turn, a little wheeze it has to be said, but something told me she was happy to have my attention. She drove very well, brakes were a tad sad in that the pads hadn't been done in some time and the kick down cable was too tight, but otherwise I loved her.

Weeks passed, and I endured year 11, and the constant teasing of others, which lead to a horrible 17th birthday spent at school. However, to my delight, after getting home and having a bath as suggested by mum (this was her distraction.) I wlaked back into the living room, and sitting outside the bay windows was my girl. Dad had gone and borrowed my bank card, luckily picking her up for $2000.00 down from an asking price of $2500.00, considerring my estimated worth was $8000.00.

So I got her home and imediatley set about getting her sorted for roadworthy.

Attachments:
File comment: The aim of this project.
S1NN3R.jpg
S1NN3R.jpg [ 138.42 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]
File comment: As I said, the interior was, and still is virtually untouched.
Our Pictures 131.jpg
Our Pictures 131.jpg [ 211.65 KiB | Viewed 3520 times ]
File comment: Wrapped in ACTUAL police tape, nothing suss here boys!
Our Pictures 129.jpg
Our Pictures 129.jpg [ 314.48 KiB | Viewed 3507 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 pm 
It didn't take long for me to get used to the car, as the driveway at my house is an oval shape, and I had spent many of my younger years piloting go-karts around it. Trust me, young children plus an underweighted go-kart with a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton is not smart, that bloody thing did wheelies!

Anyway more to the point, I was watching television on a Saturday, and came across a show called D1 Drift Racing Championships (I suppose you can see where this is going...) at which point I said to myself, "bugger it, I can bloody do that!"

The result was not exactly pleasant......

Attachments:
File comment: We managed to get the drivers wing pannel pulled out a bit by dad's new found TE 20 :)
Picture 169.jpg
Picture 169.jpg [ 471.93 KiB | Viewed 3488 times ]
File comment: OUCH!!!
Our Pictures 143.jpg
Our Pictures 143.jpg [ 273.85 KiB | Viewed 3457 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:34 pm 
Dad wasn't "too" upset with me, but that afternoon bought me some overalls, and about thirteen cutting discs for the 9" angle grinder, so I set about getting her in the then back shed and cutting out all the irrepairable pannels.

Unfortunately, I need to re-size these pictures in order to continue with the story, I'll nut them out asap and post up more of the progress work soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:48 pm 
TDC Member

At least you crashed doing something really stupid an irresponsible. It would have been rubbish if it had been caused by a reversing BMW in a carpark. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:09 pm 
True that, but that way there would have been less damage.

Anyways, the Photoshopped pic is basically my project guideline. I want the car to look just like that, kind of 30s/50s hotrod style.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:02 pm 
drifting on the driveway :D

looking forward to seeing some more pics. The damage you did resembles what I did when I piled into the rear of a volvo.

I reckon you'd be close (in Portland) to the Barnetts who picked up the 2500 motor from me. They've got a mimosa TR6.

I take it you've fixed the damage already, otherwise I'd suggest what people suggested to me, get a second hand wing off one of the cars at Newport motors in Adelaide.

stu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 pm 
Stu, I have replaced the damaged pannels, I just need to re-size the pictures for this forum as the pics are kind of on the large side.

A full analysis of the project thus far looks like this:

-Crashed
-Cut out "T" section from grille
-Half-cut the drivers wing pannel and removed from front of car all components from there forward
-Re-fitted all required pannels thanks to Pickards to the tune of $1500.00
-Body filler, much sanding and spray prep happens here
-Bonnet damage is too much to get straight again, so we cut in a bonnet bulge
-Bonnet is finished in primer and car is sprayed Code 1427 Spectrum Fan Blue Metallic with ghost flames
-Car is prepared for roadworthy
-Car fails roadworthy due to modified parcel shelf and bent rhs chassis rail
-Car sits under a poorly covered outdoor shed for 26 months
-Commodore (current hack) is on it's last legs and my 2500s is costing too much to maintain
-Dolly goes back in shed
-Interior removed bar dash and correspodning wooden panelling
-Bodywork begins on front end due to rust filled body filler
-Brake lines removed for replacement

This is the story so far, pictures soon!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:35 am 
Here's the rest of the pics up until now guys.

I know the body filler looks shocking, but it was my forst EVER go at it, and now I am much better :P

I'll have more pics when I return from study, as all I can do for now is photograph my new brake lines. :roll:

Attachments:
Picture 188.jpg
Picture 188.jpg [ 59.21 KiB | Viewed 3255 times ]
Picture 209.jpg
Picture 209.jpg [ 67.89 KiB | Viewed 3242 times ]
Picture 381.jpg
Picture 381.jpg [ 64.63 KiB | Viewed 3216 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:37 am 
More progress on body work........

Attachments:
Picture 211.jpg
Picture 211.jpg [ 52.51 KiB | Viewed 3210 times ]
Picture 203.jpg
Picture 203.jpg [ 64.43 KiB | Viewed 3197 times ]
Picture 199.jpg
Picture 199.jpg [ 54.72 KiB | Viewed 3189 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:41 am 
Preparing for paint.......

Attachments:
azza.jpg
azza.jpg [ 33.18 KiB | Viewed 3179 times ]
Picture 223.jpg
Picture 223.jpg [ 37.62 KiB | Viewed 3170 times ]
Picture 224.jpg
Picture 224.jpg [ 38.92 KiB | Viewed 3170 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:44 am 
The Dolly, now painted, brake bleeding and final checks commence......

Attachments:
wheel on car2.jpg
wheel on car2.jpg [ 126.06 KiB | Viewed 3167 times ]
bonnet clip.jpg
bonnet clip.jpg [ 31 KiB | Viewed 3160 times ]
As she stands.jpg
As she stands.jpg [ 37.96 KiB | Viewed 3151 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:52 am 
The next set of photos will be up soon, when I get a chance to find them haha! I'm actually supposed to be at the gym today but I'm knackered after soccer (football) last night so I'll just eat less come dinner time to make up for it I suppose! :lol:

Project update:

I'm in the process of sourcing a musical air horn, The Godfather theme to be precise, as I have always wanted an air horn kit, and well, I do have an italian herritage! Other than that, provided those checks from my grandparents clear, I'll be looking at getting my brakes made up "while u wait" style, so I assume they won't be too expensive, and if money permits I may also order my air filters which will be about $136.00 the pair.

Failing that, I'll wait a bit until money catches up to me, then save for Koni Ds. I've heard good things. Springs are going to be a bugger to source, but granted the opportunity I'd love to sit a lot lower, we'll see how things go.

Cheers for the support guys!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:21 am 
I feel for some reason i have had a similar situation.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5523&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 am 
Ouch, yeah very similar damage there newguy. Its a bugger as these cars weren't exactly made to be easily repaired, there built like tanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 am 
Time for an update guys, after roadworthy I was told by the tester that I had a mild bit of chassis warping in the damaged side. They did however say that under a gas torch and a hammer this should quite easily be re-shaped, however, I was wonderring... should I drop the engine and sub frame free to do this job?

Also, my radiator hoses were filled with what looked like white and green jelly crystals, and there was stuff all water in the radiator, but what there was was a nice clean green, what does this mean?

Cheers again guys. Being stuck at uni sucks, I'd rather just work on my Dolly day in day out!