The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am 
I recon I'll try sending a hot wire diectly to the coil when I next get the chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 am 
Hey guys!

Finally time for another update, sorry about the lack of images, but as I am 600 ks away from my car, my options are limited.

So far things are looking great! I have just bought a set of four half-moon eyelids that cover the headlamps almost 70% and look amazing. (I would show you these in pictures but they have been so carefully packed that this wouldn't be a smart idea. I have also purchased a Brand New Bosch GT40R coil to replace the used GT40 coil that I borrowed from my 2500S, which I'm starting to believe is knackered. Other items collected include Car audio stickers of all sorts :P and bullet style valve caps.

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to the Rock and Roll Rendezvous about 70ks on from Adelaide this sunday for some rockabilly fun. Unfortunately poor Dolly didn't make it this year, but will be making a star appearance next year.

Other things I have organised are solid carbie mounts, which will be made up by an automotive engineer for $80 each. Not bad at all. I still need to contact Sprintparts for a grille-mounted induction kit, which brings me to question.... are the inlets on the Sprint air box the same outside diameter as those on an 1850? Stu perhaps you could measure both of yours and get back to me?

Hmm.... other than that I have a business card from a guy who does whitewalls on tyres, a quite professional business. The best part is I will have BST Radials disguised behind a 50's style white stripe, so the best looks and the best road holding ability will be seen here. I have also included a photoshopped image of what I want the car to look like.

Modifications to date are as follows:
-Shaved door mirror positions.
-Shaved badges on C pillars and complete front valance.
-Complete car audio system with iPod link and Subwoofer.
-Modified grille frame on N/S for air induction.
-Fuctional Bulge added to bonnet, with sharkstooth inlet uprights courtesy of Racesafe Portland and AMJ Design (Myself and my Father)
-Windsreen mounted rear view mirror (makes the car feel like it had a euro 80s interior)
-350 Chevrolet Red steel wheels
-Bridgestone BST Tubeless Radial tyres all around.
-Sprint chin spoiler fitted
-High-flow rear brake lines fitted.
-Jaguar XJR Differential to body brake line fitted. (it trully is a thing of beauty to behold)
-Modified door cards to support custom audio system.
-Custom Parcel Shelf.
-Niken Alloy Foot Pedals.
-Matte Black 12" steering wheel (Apparently illegally sized, but I really dont give a toss as it steers like a dream)
-Push Button Ignition.
-Dixieland Air Horn Fitted.
-362CCA 50RC Bond Battery Fitted.
-Negative wiring to Battery upgraded to 2 guage wire. (Noticed better cranking as a result?)
-Relpaced battery terminals.
-Silver-treated radiator. (and yes... we're talking scrap sterling silver, not Silverseal :P)
-3" hotrod style "Peep" mirrors fitted to door frames.
-Mirror Effect High Beams fitted in 75w

More to come soon guys! Hope you like the pics!

Attachments:
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 263.23 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 397.42 KiB | Viewed 1827 times ]
here we go again copy copy.jpg
here we go again copy copy.jpg [ 376.93 KiB | Viewed 1829 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 pm 
you're a mad bugger aren't you ? :D

1850 intakes into the airbox are 1 3/8", Sprint ones are 1 5/8". Different alignment and spacing too, sprint ones are further forward and closer together. I'd be looking at some vacuum cleaner hose or similar to make up the change in diameter.

whereabouts is the Rock and Roll rendezvous ?

the most important question though, is your beast running ?

stu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm 
Those mirrors are very cool. Can you get 'em in the UK?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 am 
Hey Stu, it's out past Gumeracha Adelaide. Too far a drive for you perhaps? And on the subject of the car running....sadly atm that's a no, I have the engine turning over like a dream but no spark, so I'm replacing the dizzy cap, rotor button (points are new) and leads and possibly also the plugs. I have a new coil aswell so this will eliminate the majority of possible issues. If worst comes to worst I'll be looking at getting an auto elec to get her started as she has a few little issues anyway with headlamps not coming on on cue.

Ken, I'm not terribly sure, however if you have a dash by some hotrod shops, ask about 3" peep mirrors with a curved arm. I'm guessing they'll be roughly 35-40 pounds a pair?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:22 am 
Hey guys time for another update!

I've bought a new dizzy cap and rotor button as the ones i have currently are completely chewed out and therefore would prvide a poor spark if it all. You know what they say, to get to the heart of the problem, first you must eliminate all the variables. Next to come will be solid carbie mounts made to racing spec by SIMONBUILT here in Adelaide for $160.00 the pair. I still need a pair of carburretors at $150.00 and a rear drivers side door at $95.00 with glass.

I'm considerring new leads and plugs also, to see if this helps. If I cannot get the car to start I may have to get a mobile electrician to pop around. There is only one in portland and he's a bit of a toss3r so I may have to go elsewhere. I'll figure it out :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:15 am 
Not sure when I will be down next, but I'll do my best to drop in. I'm not playing soccer this year, otherwise I'd tie it in with a trip for an away game.

I'd try a simple trick to see if you are getting any spark at all, remove #1 plug and crank the engine with the end of the plug touching the rocker cover or decent earth. You should see the spark.

keep going Aaron !

stu

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:15 pm 
Hi Aaron, how goes it mate?

You managed to get her running yet? I had a look out for the mirrors, loads in the USA but nowt here, not bad prices though. I will treat myself nearer the time!

All the best.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:48 pm 
Hey stu. I've been away from my home town for nearly 6 months now but would love to have you drop by in the school holidays. (If you do please bring your gorgeous little mimosa number with you :P) I need to get the old girl running, but at this stage I may be looking at late this year before she hits the road.

Cheers for the offer too mate, I never have anyone knowledgable enough to help with spark checks as dad is quite busy with his inventing and such, and I'm still unemployed, the government has paid for ALL of the modifications to my car. (Thanks Kevin Rudd you useless sod!)

And Ken, The mirrors shouldn't be too hard to source in the UK. Have you tried talking to hotrod clubs / owners? I'm sure they would be able to help. If not give me a yell and I may be able to put you on to a Bloke at RodTech South Aus. I'm pretty sure he'll mail overseas. Let me know how things go. BTW, the car has not yet started, but I'm confident. Would running the engine with only one fully assembled carburretor have any negative effect on the starting? If anyone reads this comment meant for ken feel free to give a shout.

Thanks again guys, I'd be hopeless without this site! Happy Trumphing! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:42 pm 
Quote:
Those mirrors are very cool. Can you get 'em in the UK?
Ken you need Pop Browns for those here in the UK

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:15 pm 
Just checked out the website. They do 'em for £17.00 plus vat and p&p. Don't know if they are the stainless ones though.

That is one hell of a lot of wonderful, wonderful things:heyhey:

Cheers for the heads up :D :D :D