The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:12 pm 
when you have done that bleed all the brakes so there is new fluid in the system, old fuid absorbs moisture will will effect braking and check the brake hoses are in good condition and not bulging under pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm 
Also, brake pedal should not go to the floor under any circumstances. That will be an MOT fail on its own even if the brakes are effective*. If it does then there's either a lot of air in the system somewhere, a leak (followed quickly by empty resevoir and lots of air in the system), a flexi hose giving way, or the back shoes need adjusting. The last seems to be the most popular reason since makers introduced auto adjusters on everything.

Tighten them till the drums lock then back them off just enough to allow free rotation. Do not back off until there's no contact at all when you spin the wheel because that will be too far unless yoru drums are 100% perfectly true, which they won't be. Slight "swishing" from the pads is fine. That shouldn't mean more than about 2 or 3 clicks of the adjuster at most.

* There are a couple of exceptions but they tend to be diesels with big vacuum pumps and are all modern and (in theory) noted on the MOT system

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:47 am 
Yup, i checked all those things. The hoses are new, the back brakes are adjusted and we bled them through a few times.

I have however found the problem. We stripped out the front callipers, and the seals were in poor condition, and full of crap. We still have to test them tonight, but we're going to check the master cylinder & back brakes as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:21 pm 
Front brakes are now done, however I stripped one of the nuts putting the wheel back on :roll: :oops: :oops: (it was already partially damaged). Does anyone have a spare nut they can post to me 1st class? - I'll reimburse any costs :D. Only I need it before saturday...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:26 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

James, pop over and pinch one of my spares if you like. I'm about Tomorrow and Friday.
If the nut's bust, are you sure the stud is ok?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 pm 
The stud is absolutely fine. I'll be OK for the moment, as the wheel nuts from a Mini fit fine. Look like I'll have to get a new set of wheel nuts at some point soon (Dad wants the nut back, as it came from the trailer)

The new Seals have made a bit of a difference to the brakes, the pedal is a bit harder, but I'm still not sure if it is right :?

I've also checked the master cylinder and the seals are OK. Is 5/8" the right bore size :?:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 am 

Quote:
The new Seals have made a bit of a difference to the brakes, the pedal is a bit harder, but I'm still not sure if it is right :?
Have you got standard flexi hoses? If so stick an arm in the wheel arch and grasp the flexi as hard as you can in a fist while an assistant presses the brake pedal, repeat down the length of the pipe. You'll feel it if there is any swelling. In my experience changing to braided lines always delivers a spectacular change in pedal feel no matter how new the standard flexis were.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:41 am 
Yes, they are standard flexi hoses. I'm thinking about using braided ones soon, but is just want to get it through the MOT first [-o< [-o< [-o<

I'll try that at some point, as long as my "little" brother is around :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:51 pm 
Wheel nuts are not a requirement for the mot, just make sure the wheel trim is on secure so the tester cant see the missing wheel nut (i didnt really just type that)

I have spares but wont be able to post till after the weekend.

5/8 is the right bore size, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference if you had the wrong sized bore master unless you had driven the car with both fitted and then the difference would be hardly noticable anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 am 
WooHooo

MOT passed

One advisory for Steering column bush
:jump4joy: :jump4joy: :clapping: :clapping: :herod:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 pm 
Great news, James :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:42 pm 
Only one problem - I don't have a tax disc at the moment. :snivel: :snivel: :snivel:

I went into the post offcie to pick up the tax disc, and they tried charging m £120 something quid for it !!! - because it doesn't say "Historical Vehicle" on the V5. So i've been told I either have to post off the V5, Insurance certificate and MOT certificate to DVLA, or go and visit one of their branches. I think I'll do the latter, if i take the train to college I can do it then, plus work will be paying for the train then :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:33 pm 
Stupid DVLA, clever FWD. Well done!

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:45 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Only one problem - I don't have a tax disc at the moment. :snivel: :snivel: :snivel:

I went into the post offcie to pick up the tax disc, and they tried charging m £120 something quid for it !!! - because it doesn't say "Historical Vehicle" on the V5. So i've been told I either have to post off the V5, Insurance certificate and MOT certificate to DVLA, or go and visit one of their branches. I think I'll do the latter, if i take the train to college I can do it then, plus work will be paying for the train then :lol: :lol:
To change the taxation class you usually have to go to the main area HQ. But then they should do it there and then without having to post everything off!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:12 pm 
top result, well except the tax disc bit.