The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:24 pm 
Hi james I'm sure I have the required spanner, give me your address and I'll pop by.If you want a lift to the TDCIR I can do that as well :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:41 pm 
Hey Everybody

Update Time :D

I Passed my test today \:D/

And as for the car, it's nearly MOT'able. Things I have now done

- Refitted all carpets
- Fitted rear seatbelts
- All electrics fixed
- Some more bodywork - Grey roof, rear offside door finished, and primed any other bits of metal
- Temporary Speakers, amp & portable CD player 'Installed' (shoved on the parcel shelf) :lol:
- And a few other bits

Still to do for MOT

- Change Oil (will have to get car up on ramps, as the drain plug has seized
- Check Gearbox Oil
- Check Tracking
- Give it a wash :lol:

Other 'To Do'
- Fit decent Stereo system
- Electronic Ignition
- Finish Bodywork
- Fit Towbar
- Replace Parcelshelf (It's a bit saggy) :lol:
- Replace bushes with polybushes

And a few other bits which I can't remember.

I will be insuring with Footman James (they gave me the cheapest quote). Is anyone able to give me a rough idea as to how much it would be worth, as there's no point doing a valuation until i have actually finished most of it (especially the bodywork)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 pm 
TDC Member

Many congratulations James. I remember that feeling and its great!

Good to hear the car is coming along as well.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 pm 
Congratulations on the test pass mate, lets hope your Triumph soon follows suit :D

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 pm 
Great news - back on the road just like nature intended :thumbsup:.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Well done James. That is great news. I bet you can't wait to get the 1300 out on the road.
I notice no one is giving you an idea of value. I'll start the bidding at £800! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 pm 
Well done James, soon be driving it now :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:08 pm 
Well done on the pass James, its been a long wait. theTDC can do you a valuation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 pm 
Well done James. Won't take long to sort the car out I think.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:35 am 
Well done James

Steve :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:40 pm 
Now ready for the MOT

Bits I've done over the past couple of weeks

- Changed Engine Oil
- Filled Dif with EP90 Oil - There wasn't any in there :shock:
- Fitted a spring to release the handbrake on the brake drum (or whatever)
- Stoped the steering wheel from squeaking :lol:
- Given some of the paintwork a polish - took me a whole afternoon to do half the bonnet...
- Checked wheels for play etc - passenger side front had a small amount of play, probably due to the bearings settling in - cured by tightening up the centre nut

The brakes don't seem as effective as they should be, I'm guessing that they'll get better over time, as there are new pads, seals etc. If not, any ideas?

And I now have insurance - £1175 full comp with unlimited mileage :D . I put down £2000 as the value of the car and FJ seemed OK with that, and never asked for a full valuation.

Hopefully an MOT next weekend :D - I'll let you all know how it goes, and stick a few more pics up of my multicoloured paint :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 pm 
James the brakes on a 1300fwd will; never feel right compared to a modern car or even a dolomite, no servo assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm 
Damn, I missed the post that you'd passed - congratulations!

Like Justyn says, the brakes will feel weak by modern servo standards, but they aren't if you press them hard enough. In a period Motor road test, maximum braking needed a leg-crunching 120lbs of pressure on the pedal. But they were capable of 96% braking if your leg's up to it (MOT pass is 50% and the Highway Code "good brakes" figures are worked out on just under 70%).

Curiously, they also showed negative fade - after 20 stops in a row they needed less pressure than at the start. That would be affected by lining materials though, so please don't rely on it too much with your shiney new licence ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 pm 
I know that much, however it certainly seems a bit soft. The back brakes are fine (they quite happily lock up), however overall they dont stop the car very quick. I'm guessing the pads on the front will take a while to bed in? - at the moment they are rubbing a bit. Also I can push the pedal to the floor, and it certainly isn't anywhere 120lbs (I didn't think I weighed that much... :lol: )

And Dad's booked the MOT for 10 o'clock on saturday.. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:17 pm 
Just took the car for a 4 mile road test - up and down the road a few times (sssshhh...)

And succeeded in cooking the front brakes...

They certainly stop the car OK, but I haven't rebuilt the front callipers myself although they have been done by the previous owner (or so he says - if it's anything like the other jobs he's done, then it's not suprising)

So i'm gonna have to get a new set of seals & fit (or recon callipers) them before saturday. I'm thinking the second option - it'll be quicker to swap them over, then can rebuild the original ones as spares. Unless someone has a spare pair or recon callipers around?

EDIT: I'm a Numpty, as I forgot that I ordered a full set of seals about 18 months ago, and have just found them in my spares box :oops: :oops: :oops:
Guess what I'm doing tomorrow evening :lol: :lol: