The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:01 pm 
Have decided to keep the owners name for the car. Nice thing to do as his children named her.

I have a clutch master and slave cylinder in the wings for her as well as a master brake cylinder. Hope to make some templates for the boot repair. May as well get as much sorted as possible I suppose before she goes to a new temporary resting place with other Triumphs. I will give her a good clean internally and externally to try and preserve things before she toddles off.

Wing almost sorted

Interior: awaiting the rears and maybe some Rover fronts :wink:

Hopefully I'll pick up a sill at some point

There you go Ian, I've amended the title

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:27 pm 
TDC Member

I have been trying to keep up Ken......
Ellie is the blue Toledo?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:50 pm 
Yes, it is but confusingly, there was mention of another little blue tolly which was for sale on ebay. This has been bought by Nick in Scotland.

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:12 am 
Oi you thiefing little barsteward, Ellie is the name for my sangloww dolly 1300, chosse your own name or i'll set the bear onto you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:17 am 
GGRRRRRRRR, GRWOOOOOL and other scary noises.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:07 pm 
You think that is scary? Yet you use my a mug as an avatar??

You are a very mixed up bear and bear associate :(

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Ken,
I'm looking forward to reading about Ellie's return to the road. I have even more reason to be interested now. You need to put some pictures up here to sort the confusion!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:07 pm 
Right. This is the Tolly known as 'Nellie'.

Here's the A pillar after sorting it out with the electric file and rustproofing

I hope to be doing some more on it at the weekend.

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:32 pm 

Looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you there Ken. There is something special about Toledos. I think it is that they are simple unassuming little cars! I wonder how many different blues there were. Looking at the registration number shouldn't she be called Nellie?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 pm 
Don't you mean RUSseT? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rust on the A pillar was actually just superficial. Has all been removed and treated.

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 pm 
Actually thinking about it.... Ellie could well be Nellie. I think I misheard the bloke. It was raining quite heavily. Ooops :oops:

Name now changed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:42 pm 
TDC Member

Nellie would make more sense with the car being NLE! A London reg too. Woo!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:15 am 
Yeh Nellie sounds much better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:06 pm 
Spent some time today cleaning off the algae and cutting back the paintwork to see what needs doing. Overall not too bad, some shallow dents and rust spots but nothing to write home about. The two n/s doors are a bit wounded but bearable. I also filled the 3 small holes along the C pillar and the couple of bits on the wheel arch.

Cleaned up the dash a bit which will hopefully protect it whilst the car slumbers a little longer. Replacement carpets and seats will make a huge difference to the car. The crash pad on the parcel shelf will need replacing at some point. The steering wheel will be replaced with a Dolly item for now. The original is quite worn and moth eaten.

The clutch and brake pedal are solid. If I get the chance, I will remove the cylinders and replace hopefully.

The drivers wing will need to be replaced. I think the passenger side wing will repair, but the lower section will need cutting out for sure. Apart from the sill and a patch underneath and the boot patch that might be it. The rest is cosmetic. Oh and a couple of new screen seals wouldn't go amiss either. All in good time.

The engine bay will need the most tidying :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:44 pm 
Quote:

The engine bay will need the most tidying :roll:
being a complete and utter car cleaning anorak, i use, and thoroughly recommend the Meguiar's Super degreaser for cleaning engine bays, engines and grease from pretty much any surface that is in need of such treatment.

It comes in a 1 us gal bottle and can be diluted upto (iirc) 10:1 water:SD so it makes for an economical product. Don't let it dry on paint tho as it is very potent.

Good luck and I hope there's no nasty suprises for you :)