The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 am 
TDC Member

Hello all,

Welcome to what should hopefully be a relatively quick recommissioning of my 1500 SE - NGC 797V.

The car has been in storage for the last 13 years and was collected by me on 27th December. Once home it spent a night outside whilst the V8 was prepared to be relegated to the carport for a while.

Yesterday the car was washed and pushed into the garage ready for its initial once over.

After putting in some fresh fuel and rigging up a temporary battery the car started with a misfire at first but this soon settled to a smooth tickover.

The car is extremely solid and although further inspection is needed there is NO welding required at all. There is a small hole in the bonnet but I have a spare that needs respraying. I will either repair the original one or get the spare one painted. The car would benefit from a respray but I actually prefer the used look that it has now. I polished the drivers door and it came up well although there are some scratches along the whole length of the drivers side that I don't think will polish out completely but a bit of time with a polishing disc on the grinder should do the trick.

After the day in the garage the 'to do' list for now is as follows:

New Battery
Replace Clutch slave and master cylinders.
(Once these 2 things have been done, the car can be moved easily to allow me to use the garage for other things when required)

Replace ignition components.
Genral service (oil and filters etc)
Flush fuel system
New Exhaust
Front subframe bushes
Top and bottom ball joints
Replace or get existing radiator recored. It has a small leak
Replace brake discs and pads.
Replace rear brake shoes and cylinders. All flexi hoses and brake lines appear to be good but I may replace anyway if time allows.
Replace tyres.
Repaint the wheels while tyres are off.
Remove the seats and attack them and the carpets with the industrial wet vac that i've acquired

I'm sure I will come across plenty more to do as we go along but my main priority is to have the car on the road. Being optimistic as usual I would hope to have been for MOT before the end of January.

I will get pictures up as soon as I can. Keeps telling me that file is invalid so will try again later.

stewart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:12 pm 
good luck with it. A lot of the work you're doing sounds similar to the sort of stuff I need to do when I finally get my hands on the TC I'm looking at :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:07 pm 
Hi Stewart,

Best of luck - i'm sure it'll be lovely once it's done. I have a red 1500 in Brum so looking forward to (hopefully) seeing you at a few events in 2010.

Regards
Angie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 am 
the uber nerd in me comes out. NGC is a system for identifiying galaxies, and yours happens to be:

http://server1.sky-map.org/starview?obj ... &locale=EN

good luck with the recommisioning, sounds like it is all planned out well.

stu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:13 pm 
TDC Member

I can't get photos up onto the site directly, so I've uploaded them into photobucket and will put the link below.

Hope this works. - never done it before

http://s909.photobucket.com/albums/ac29 ... 0and%20V8/

Stewart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:50 am 

okay, here's how !

on the photobucket page you'll find a "direct link" code pop up when you hover the mouse over a pic. Right click on that, "select all", then "copy"

back to here, right click "paste"

then, enclose the direct link in image tags, they are square brackets that tell the forum to display an image and have img in 'em. So, the above pic is shown by using:

*img*http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac29 ... 1.jpg*/img*

simply replace the * with [ and ] as needed. The forward slant in the end tag is the end of image tag. You can get the same automatically by clicking on the image button on thge menu bar, Img, then pasting the direct link in.

If you can't get the direct link working, then try right clicking on the pic when it displays, the address of the pic is under properties.

good luck.

stu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:25 pm 
TDC Member

About to extracted from its last home.

Loaded now and just needs strapping down for the journey home.

Just arrived home. Time to clear the garage.

In the garden waiting for ......

....The V8 to be relegated to ......

....here for a while.

Making a nice space for the SE. Can easily fit 2 cars in here after a good tidy up, but I prefer just 1 in with a lot more room to work.

Now in and ready for initial once over

Interior just needs good clean. Will be taking the seats out so I can get at the carpets properley.

It does run but has a small leak from the radiator. Clutch slave cylinder removed as it is siezed.

Last edited by covcourier on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:26 pm 
TDC Member

Many thanks to Stu for the picture tips.

And thanks for the support received so far.

Stewart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:11 pm 
Sounds a fairly easy project this, no welding to do, what a bonus. Nice to see the interior has survived intact. Good luck with your SE.

Steve :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:20 pm 
Quote:
..Nice to see the interior has survived intact...
Seconded. I love the 1500SE's trim materials and there cannot be that many cars with such light coloured seats whose coverings have survived in that good a condition.
I'm envious of the room you have around the car in that garage, so much more civilized than working under a tent when trying to get a car serviced in this weather we're currently having. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 pm 
I nearly bought this car off david but ended up coming away with a inca sprint instead although if the trailer was bigger and garage i would have jumped at the chance of the se just because how solid it seemed good luck with it and keep up with the pics as you go on :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:59 pm 
There are two more SEs for sale not far away from David.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm 
oh what sort of condition?and for what sort of money?not got the time to restore at the mo but could store it for a while till the sprint is done, picking up a 1850/sprint next week complete but rotten as apear just for the parts so you guys get first dibs on bits if wanted :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:27 am 
Ive PM'd you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:48 pm 
TDC Member

Got a few bits done today while tucked up in the garage out of the snow.

Put on a new battery and had the car starting and running.

Changed the clutch master and slave cylinders but I have a slight problem. Maybe because I was rushing, I may have missed something but the problem is that although I now have travel on the clutch pedal, it won't let me select gears when fully depressed. I can start the car in gear and the clutch bites right at the bottom so I can at least move the car.

I bled the system again to make sure that was ok but have had to call it a day for today and will investigate tomorrow.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Stewart