The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:07 pm 
Well, I bought this off ebay a while back, spent some cash on it and got it thru its MOT, I introduce to you the 8,800 mile Toledo 1300:

Was bought with the intention of commissioning it as my daily driver, but then I was prompted by driving a friends Suzuki SJ to buy another one, so I bought an SJ and put this to the side and tried to sell it.

Sold off some of the spares it came with, mainly cause I dont have the space with so many cars with lots of spares for them aswell!

Insured it tonight, will goto my nans and drive it t' post office to get myself some tax on it tomorrow, ive started to fit the original brown interior, which I absolutely love, fully retro look :P

Since im a youngster i need my music, so im going to build a "stealth" shelf, with 2x 6x9's in but hidden from view just to get it so that I dont get bored on the commute!

Going to give it a proper going over tomorrow and try to get it setup as ive got a 160 mile round trip on Sunday, hopefully I dont get stranded on the side of the road!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:49 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Good luck with the project. I remember this car from this forum and then I tried to buy it when it was on eBay, but didn't bid enough!!
I am glad you are returning the original interior to the car.
I will watch your progress with interest. Are you going to re-paint the car?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:55 pm 
Quote:
Good luck with the project. I remember this car from this forum and then I tried to buy it when it was on eBay, but didn't bid enough!!
I am glad you are returning the original interior to the car.
I will watch your progress with interest. Are you going to re-paint the car?
Cheers, I love the poo brown interior, it looks alot smoother cause it hasnt got the headrest caps, proper retro look!

And yeah, Im going to re-spray it when money allows, will be done on my driveway in an enclosed gazebo but will hopefully get a relatively good finish... we can but hope!

Going to be doing prep work on it until it warms up, want to get all the dents out of it so its ready to be painted, will probably paint all the door shuts and enginebay before I do the rest of the shell.

Should be a tidy little motor when its sorted.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:20 am 
Nice to hear another Toledo project on the go, good luck with it.

Steve :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:00 pm 
Just got it back home so its now sat on the driveway, got to sort out the gearbox rattle (theres a hole in the carpet and when i put my finger on what feels like the shaft bush holder it stops rattling, so i presume something needs bolting back together.

Car drives nicely, crap top end as theres no oil in the dashpot (didnt have any at my nans)

Need to wait for my cover note to come thru so I can tax it, then i can drive it properly :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 am 
Car refused to start yesterday, no fuel pressure so I bought an electric fuel pump yesterday and it arrived this morning so thats now on and it runs again!

One issue im fighting is its useless anything above 1/4 throttle, im going to get the timing light out and see if thats out at all, adjust the points (i think they mightve fluffed up) theres 2 noisy tappets so im going to adjust them in a minute aswell as check compression.

All in all the cars on track to being ready for when my cover note arrives to tax it and then use it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm 

Did the fuel pump help with running more than 1/4 throttle? Maybe closed up points, but doesn't it have electronic ignition?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 pm 
TDC Toledo Registrar

Regards gearlever rattle, you will need a bush kit. They are the same as Herald 13/60, so I believe. Even then, the rattle may not be cured; it's a common thing with 3-rail gearbox'd Toledos.

R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:59 pm 
Quote:
Did the fuel pump help with running more than 1/4 throttle? Maybe closed up points, but doesn't it have electronic ignition?
It had a sparkrite, which doesnt remove the points, just takes stress off them...

Ive spent all day working on the car now, still no improvement, ive replaced the distributor with a brand new item that I had on the shelf, points set, new plugs, timed up and it still runs like crap, im thinking it may be the carb causing issues. basically, its a case of 1/4 throttle or nothing, there is no progression, if you mash your foot to the floor it bogs down then takes off, ive got a fair few carbs I can try on it so im going to swap the current one out tomorrow and see if theres any improvement.

On that note, what needle should a toledo 1300 have?

Ive made a plate to cover the mech fuel pumps hole and thats fitted, left side of the engine is now nice and clean.

Brown interior is all refitted, going to speak to my re-upholsterer as ive got some plans for the doorcards to make them look more retro.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:05 pm 
Think I may have found the problem...

The fuel!

the cars been sat for nearly 19 years... the petrol tank was near full but goddamn was the fuel in it crap, when i started to syphon it it tasted like water near enough, there was a tinge of petrol taste but not the regular "spit it out spit it out" taste you get!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:46 pm 
Pic of the LHS of the engine all cleaned up, still needs work but im waiting for the car to be running right before I attack it anymore!

Brand new dizzy, new HT leads, mech pump blanking plate fitted... want to sort out all the wiring and make it look alot neater!

and a photoshop of how i'd like it to look when its all done -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:22 pm 
That's close to how I envisage Nellie looking. The Sprint alloys being the exception, also I would like to try and recess the sidelights (which would also have clear lenses) and have a square number plate on the front.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:09 pm 
Hi Freddie,

Im glad youv found your way on here, im the guy you brought that little beaut off, I have such regret getting rid of her but it was probably best as I did not have the funds to finish it to a good enough standard. Im glad that it didnt sell on ebay to be honest as I know your going to do a great job on her and your resonably local to me so I may see her around. Iv since brought a golf mk4 which gives endless reliability but god there everywhere! If its not too much trouble when shes all sprayed and finished id love to come see her in all her glory again to see how I imagined she would look.

Im keeping an eye on your threads to see how shes coming along :)

cheers
Jake