The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Quote:
Not as far as I know. The SAAB 2.3-litre unit may have Triumph roots but it doesn't even share any components. Even the 99 Turbo engine (B / H series) would not be easy.
That hasn't prevented people fitting such units as the Lotus slant four into Dolomites. Where there's a will, etc. :)
The really early 1700 and 1850 saab engines should almost just bolt in. I reckon a B engine will fit without much hardship except getting the exhaust in, if you're turbocharging it this will be a pain in the arse.
Since saab put them in backwards the injection system will all be pointing the wrong way.

The early slant H engines are similar in terms of difficulty to fitting something like the lotus, there's a reason the sprint has such a weird head.

A 2.3 should be no harder to fit than any other inline 4, if you really want to put it in there it will fit, extensive cutting and welding will probably be required.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:53 am 
That 1700 wasn't as easy as, say, fitting a RWD driveline and transmission would have been in the 1500, the biggest issues being that the Saab's gearbox is deeper than the 1500's one, and that the timing chain sits at the bulkhead end. But given that we've seen a Lotus-powered Sprint on the forum too, and that where that engine goes, so would an FE or Magnum unit, anything's possible.

I'd keep it relatively simple if I were charged with the task; 12 port (late) Cologne V6 from a Middlebridge (or very late Reliant) Scimitar Would fit and is a strong engine. But she wanted to keep the 1500 FWD (and automatic so that I could be the guinea pig, errr, test driver) and that did restrict the options massively. :(

I'd love to see a Carlsson-spec Saab unit mated to a BW66 or similar in a Dolly shell, mucho graft for sure, but just crazy enough to work. :)
Go on, Glassworks, you know you want to..... 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm 
forgive my ignorance JPB im not too well up on triumphs,is that bw66 a manual rwd gearbox?as for carlsson spec,my engine goes beyond it,quiet a bit beyond a carlsson :D

does anyone have a definitive answer to wether the sprint box bolts to the saab engine,any engine fits any car if you put the work in,id really like to retain the original box tho.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 pm 
Manual? Good heavens no. I was thinking of myself there. :lol: Borg Warner Type 66 is a 3-speed auto as found in late TR7s, so can be fitted to the Triumph engine, whether the Saab engine's mating plate is a match without modifying is a thing I couldn't say for sure, but one of the great things about this forum is that someone, somewhere will know. :wink:

LT77 from an SD1 or TR7 (manual 5-speed) is a strong, RWD gearbox, but a bit fatter than the standard tunnel as I understand it. Has been done though, in a Manual Dolomite V8 with Rover engine.

A TR7 cockpit, cribbed shamelessly from the web:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:21 pm 
Hello and welcome.

Go for it and join the bunch of mad buggers on here who will mate whatever with anything.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14 pm 
I believe XVIVALVE has an LT77 in QuickSprint, didnt he say it was a PITA & he would prefer an o/d Sprint box?