The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 521 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

No luck getting her running with eazistart this morning.

So tomorrow im going to do the compression test, then start again from the beginning and check that I have everything right.

When i sprayed the easystart down the carb air inlets and cranked the engine u could sort of feel she wanted to go but something not quite right, will keep at it, I will post the compression test readings tomorrow before I go to work.

Thanks Again

Daz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 am 

Well where do i start, I will be using the panels that are fibreglass, not worth replacing when they fitted pretty good.

Now for the compression readings, well im inconsolable at mo :snivel:

Pot 1: big fat 0
Pot 2: 10psi
pot 3: 92psi
pot 4: 10 psi

Now where do I go from here as far as the engine is concerned, I got no idea so for now will carry on with the body work and get that ready while I decide what to do withthe engine.

Will post the piccies tonight off the car, with what I have found upto now.

Regards to all

Daz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 am 
Ok, those aren't really very good compression readings (master of understatement, me :)

On the plus side, if you're getting zeros with no nasty mechanical noises then it's likely to be problems with the valves (or head gasket but that's unlikely cos it would have to have blown in three places for that pattern) rather than pistons / rings. To get no seal at all on the rings they'd have to have broken up which would usually sound distinctly unhealthy! Also, did you hold the throttle open while cranking for the test? If it was closed that could explain the slightly low reading on No 3.

As a next quick check, put a couple of teaspoons worth of oil into the plug holes and repeat the test - a couple of squirst from an oil can is about right. That should give enough of a temporary seal round the pistons to improve matters if they're at fault. If you see little or no difference then it's almost certainly valve problem.

Take the rocker cover off and make sure that all the valves have clearance - at this point it's not really essential to set them accurately as long as the rockers go a little slack when the valves are closed. If you have no clearance on the exhaust valves (valves number 1, 4, 5 and 8) then the chances are it's been run on unleaded without additive untill the valves recessed to far.

Also look to make sure that when they're closed the tops of the springs are all coming to very close to the same height - especially on No 1. With the zero compression reading, if it's a sticking valve then it will be sticking quite obviously open.

If you find that there was no clearance on any of the valves then it's worth running another quick comp test - you might be lucky and find that providing clearance restores compression but don't count on it.

That's probably enough for one post cos by this point you'll either have it sorted or need to remove the head. Tha's not a bad job on these (much eaiser than on the slants!) but we can get to that if needed :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 am 

Will try tomorrow, just gonna go in and download some piccies, as soon as you think low compression you suddenly think of pistons and engine strip down.

Just a shame we have to go to work when you feel your getting somewhere etc

thanks again

Daz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:43 pm 

Hi guys some pics as promised

Regards

Daz

Last edited by DazasDolly on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:59 pm 
Seen worse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 pm 
likewise.. good luck with it mate!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 am 
Headlamp panels have survived really well - result! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:07 am 

Thanks guys,

New compression readings with the oil put down the sparkplug holes.

1) 10 psi Yesterdays was 0
2) 15 psi Yesterdays was 10
3) 160 psi Yesterdays was 92
4) 60 psi Yesterdays was 10

No 1 i realised I never had the compression tester sealed properly the only way I could get it sealed was to take the alternator off and then refit for the test.

Your help is much appreciated

Kind Regards

Daz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:15 am 

A small step in the right direction. Have you checked the rockers as per Mr Monkeys post above?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 am 

Not yet, will do tomorrow, work always gets in the way :snivel:

thank you

daz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 pm 

Bit of a labour of love there then.

Given that you now need an engine rebuild or at least a head off I'd take a long hard look at the body repairs needed and do some thinking about the likely end results and how long its going to take you.

Not trying to put you off...but its a lot of work and if you want to get dolly'ing any time soon another car may be a better recipient of your time and energy. If you have the space you can keep this for later.

In my experience wives tend to respond better to cars that can be used...:-)

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:49 pm 
Quote:

In my experience wives tend to respond better to cars that can be used...:-)

Jonners

:woohoo: :woohoo:

The man speaks nothing but the truth!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 pm 

Hi Mates

Well I always wanted a classic car, and I knew it wasn't going to be easy, the old girl was laid up since 2004 ( thats when the last tax disc run out).

In reality I paid a bit too much money for her but thats the way it goes.

In work today I was thinking of the best course of action and that is to rebuild the engine, this is going to be a big learning curve for me, but if I can strip the engine down and then get all the parts I need for winter. Do the bodywork over this summer then rebuild the engine over winter, im lucky that I built a garage/workshop last summer specially for this project.

I know its going to be hard but, and yes I thought it would be easier than it is going to be, but hey thats life, I got nothing to lose or maybe see if I can get another engine to push things along, but if I rebuild then I can get the head done so I use Unleaded petrol without additive.

Kind Regards

daz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:52 pm 
Quote:
Hi Mates

Well I always wanted a classic car, and I knew it wasn't going to be easy, the old girl was laid up since 2004 ( thats when the last tax disc run out).

In reality I paid a bit too much money for her but thats the way it goes.

In work today I was thinking of the best course of action and that is to rebuild the engine, this is going to be a big learning curve for me, but if I can strip the engine down and then get all the parts I need for winter. Do the bodywork over this summer then rebuild the engine over winter, im lucky that I built a garage/workshop last summer specially for this project.

I know its going to be hard but, and yes I thought it would be easier than it is going to be, but hey thats life, I got nothing to lose or maybe see if I can get another engine to push things along, but if I rebuild then I can get the head done so I use Unleaded petrol without additive.

Kind Regards

daz
Good for you mate :thumbsup:

My own car was laid up in someones front garden for approx 6 years, it was only few days away from being collected by the scrapman, it was in a worst state than this one that's for sure.

Here I am nearly 10 years on and I can finally say that soon I will have finished the car. :)

This is something you just can't put a limit on for time and money, if it's your hobby, you learn from it, enjoy it and above all enjoy seeing the fruits of your labour (no matter how small) then you have succeeded in doing what you set out to do.

Remember, it's not a race to finish, if something you are doing isn't going right, then shut the door on it, come inside, the car will still be there for you when you want to have another go.

The sense of achievement when you finally drive that car out of the MoT station with a brand new certifcate I can tell you is something you will never forget. 8)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 521 Next