The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Levi the 1300 FWD
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Not much done this week but got one or two pics of the undersides and gave the car a quick t-cut.

Attachments:
SDC15351.JPG
SDC15351.JPG [ 271.99 KiB | Viewed 2155 times ]
SDC15353.JPG
SDC15353.JPG [ 270.44 KiB | Viewed 2157 times ]
SDC15350.JPG
SDC15350.JPG [ 268.69 KiB | Viewed 2152 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:19 pm 

Dont suppose you can see the effects of the t cut and wax so much yet with all the paint that needs doing, but here are some more pics anyway...

Attachments:
SDC15362.JPG
SDC15362.JPG [ 279.72 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
SDC15361.JPG
SDC15361.JPG [ 275.36 KiB | Viewed 2138 times ]
SDC15358.JPG
SDC15358.JPG [ 274.37 KiB | Viewed 2135 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:58 am 

Oh, and whats the story with the fibreglass valances, I am of course VERY interested! Any idea of price, etc?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:40 am 
Alun (xvivalve) is the man with that plan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:04 pm 

Well, not much to report on this week other than to say the car runs very, very nicely. I am surprised how well she pulls and just how quiet she is! My old 1300 was a racket and a half! Don't worry chaps, she's on a private gated road so no one is in any danger. Except me that is.

I'm posting this here and then also on the wanted page. Now a-haha, comes the question, does anyone, anywhere have; Indicator unit backing plates, mine are rotten. Lenses and, oddly, seals are fine, its just the metal bits. I know these are virtually non existant nowadays but I thought someone might have them, if I don't ask, I dont get... Also, I need a spare wheel. I have decided to put the original wheels on, once I have sorted the mass of studs out. So, does anyone have a spare 1300 wheel?

Final bits, I'm not the most experienced welder on earth, so is there anyone on here prepared to come to Kent and weld this Sill on for me? The thought of it quite frankly terrifies me! Payed of course! unless you want to do it for free... :wink:

Also, advice on Rotoflex replacement would be much appreciated. I have replacements but I dont think they are the best, they are marked GM and thats it.

Well I am waiting for Quiller to tell me what they want for a 1300 service kit, then its that and an oil change. Then brakes, pads, doughnuts, rear brake clean up and grease oil and top up everything! Then, the bodywork, which I'm quite looking forward to.

I have decided to keep her as original as possible less the bumpers. Then lots of little upgrades under the bonnet, poly bushes, unleaded head, electronic ignition, electric fan, etc etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:47 pm 
TDC Member

for the indicators, look on e-bay etc under Gilbern, they're used on (I think) the invader, and pop up at around £25 B I N .

I've got a couple, but they are spares for KAC

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:29 pm 
I have spare wheels, l might even have some old light units, i will have to dig through a few boxes though.
Parts are in Southampton.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:23 am 

Can't help you with the welding I'm afraid, underneath stuff I'm confident with, small patches and so on but I have a lousy eye for large panels and a tendency to overheat them.

On the service kits Wins is worth a try too, highly recomended. And on the basis that if you can't say something good etc my opinion of Quillers is

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:25 pm 

Many thanks everyone, looks like she's coming together nicely!

I may attempt the welding myself, I'm practising on an old Morris FG truck which needs lots and lots...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:11 am 

Well, have done a little bit more this week, stripped down the front end a little bit and have begun repairing the bonnet.

I have decided to replace the offside wing, it needs too much work in too many areas to keep mucking about with it. The nearside is fine and so will just be repaired and repainted.

I have, somewhat annoyingly, an NOS nearside wing. So does anyone have a the opposite for a swap? If not, does anyone have one for sale?

Anyway, some sad looking pics for you...

Attachments:
SDC15429.JPG
SDC15429.JPG [ 274.23 KiB | Viewed 1856 times ]
SDC15428.JPG
SDC15428.JPG [ 273.46 KiB | Viewed 1855 times ]
SDC15427.JPG
SDC15427.JPG [ 276.44 KiB | Viewed 1851 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:26 pm 

Well, again theres not much to report on this week. I am attacking each 'corner' at a time on the bodywork and decided to start with the rear nearside. I bought some Valencia Blue Aerosol from Autopaints Brighton and it is fantastic stuff, absolutely spot on!

I am going to remove the offside front wing next as it is beyond saving really, I have had no luck finding a steel replacement despite being told they are quite common, so might get a Honeybourne fibreglass one. Are they any good? Whilst the wing is off I am going to get the sill sorted and prep for the new wing whatever that may be. I may also have found some indicator units! I was beginning to worry there, had in mind modiying MGB type units to fit.

I am also considering giving the whole car an overspray at some point, probably after the fitting of a fibreglass valance if they happen...

Hopefully more interesting things to come soon.

So anyway, a piccie of the corner done...

Attachments:
SDC15562.JPG
SDC15562.JPG [ 272.01 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:22 pm 
Thoght I'd post some bit and pieces for Dan as he is internet challenged at the moment. I spent the day with him and Levi, just looking over the car and tidying some bits and pieces. Apart from the obvious welding, Dan reckons that some brake work, replacing the knackered fuel line, new wipers and a couple of service parts should see it ready for an MOT. I made dan a replacement 'mickey mouse ear' and that will be adjusted once the wing is in place.

Dan obtained another FWD as he wanted some spares from it. He swapped out the Matador Red interior which now resides in Levi:

Nice eh? It's had a bit of a clean but is very sound.

The tan interior that was in Levi is in the blue FWD. I think that this is quite a nice interior:

We think that this is from a 1500FWD as there is no ashtray in the rear of the drivers seat upright.

Here's the blue one again:

Isn't this some sort of Triumph mating ritual? Can I have one of the litter please?

We went on to compare the two cars a bit further:

Levi:

Blue Spares Car:

The blue car has a funny stub type thing poking up from the manifold. Anyone know why and what it is? It has also had the bulkhead rubber grommet modified. A nice neat job it is too. Fancy doing a run of these Joe? It's also had an alternator conversion.

We also fixed a tiny petrol leak on the blue car (fixed with new hose). Must say, the blue car drives beautifully and has a spot on gearbox. The bodywork is a bit untidy in places and it has had a patch underneath, a new sill at some point and repairs to the o/s inner wing. Although it is very solid, the work looks untidy and would benefit from a couple of days worth of tidying. Mechanically it seems spot on. First time starter too and some useful little upgrades.

Anyone know what the name of the colour is? It seems (to me) to have a slight lilac tint to it. Not sure if it shows in the photos. Wedgewood perhaps?

Ken

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:08 pm 
Quote:
The blue car has a funny stub type thing poking up from the manifold. Anyone know why and what it is?
Looks like something that's covering over a take-off that's been added for a servo or vacuum gauge?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:18 pm 
I'd agree with JPB on that stub - I'd always assumed that the flat circle on the manifold was there to be drilled for something like a servo upgrade that they never got round to on the single carbs.

As for the bulkhead bush, I was planning something along those lines (two part screw-through brass jobby) but didn't getround to it and ended up stuffing an electrical grommet in there with a couple of split-pins through the rod to hold it in place. Nowhere near as elegant but does the job.

If there'd be interest for something better at beer prices then I might be convinced to break the lathe out again ...... :)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:22 pm 
Could well be a servo or vacuum guage jobbie.

Any thoughts on the colour? Nath reckons Dolphin Grey.