The Spitfire's MoT runs out in a couple of weeks, so I've spent a number of evenings going over the car to make sure it was in the best possible condition for the test.
1. Fitted a new indicator arm as the old one burst in to flames along the M4. Inside the old switch I found the rather charred remains of a spider! Poor thing.
2. Tightened up both front wheel bearings one flat on the nut to bring them back up to the correct tolerance.
3. Removed and refitted the wiper spindle boxes the correct way round to cure the wiper parking issue detailed in a previous post. Not an easy job as they're right up underneath the dashboard with pretty much everything obscuring access. For the first time ever I now have windscreen wipers that self-park!
4. During the wiper spindle reassembly I somehow got tangled up in the windscreen washer tubing which promptly broke off where it connects to the electric pump (and covered me in washer fluid!). It was an ugly modern bottle (with a built-in pump) anyway, so I was rather glad to get rid of it. I've now fitted an original washer bottle and electric pump from a late Spitfire 1500.
Anyway, the MoT was this morning.. and it passed! Flying colours and not even an advisory
Photos to follow, but I've been working on the car in the dark!
1978 Triumph Dolomite Sprint (project thread
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV (project thread
1966 VW Beetle 1300 (project thread
1962 Austin Mini
1962 MGA MKII
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5