The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:38 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Ken, I saw Martin last night and I told him you'd bought LTW back from Glenn. He knew about the car being TR7 powered (he has a couple of TR7s).

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:20 pm 
Cool.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:48 pm 
Right, back on track.

It has been a while but I have been hindered by the crappy weather, flu and the arthritis. However, thanks to Nathan and Phil popping over today - the LWT has a full compliment of decent doors.

The boot lid lock has been fitted to the 1300 FWD boot lid as well.

I have yet to fit the two rear MGF steelie wheels but they should go on later this week.

LWT fired up first time after a couple of months slumber, but she was incontinent of petrol via the front carb. I quickly whipped off the top of the chamber and cleared out a ton of crud. A good blast of carb cleaner got everything looking lovely and normal service has resumed.

I just need to swap over the door cards too.

A massive thank you to the very kind and decent folk who have provided the much needed bits of late. :) :)

Piccies later in the week.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:55 pm 
Yesterday saw some more Toledo action. It was just focused on removing some surface rust that I had stupidly let bloom on some of the untreated exposed metal on the front end.

Red oxide and a little smidgeon of filler scheduled for tomorrow. Once that is done I need to focus on a dent in the front bit of the drivers side wing. This has been there for some time by the look of it. I might try and improve the dent but it is in an awkward place. We'll see.

I will take some piccies tomorrow.

Progress is progress.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:28 pm 

Great work Ken, its threads like this that inspire me to get my own tr tolly back on the road. Choosing the paint colour is very difficult i know!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:16 am 
Cheers :D

Sad that it is taking place more slowly than I would have liked but that can't be helped.

Ha, colour. Don't get me started on that. I'd love to go for something quite lairy. I love these cars in orange but I will likely go for what is on there already.

I am tempted to go carbon fibre wrap on the roof and bonnet. The paint is sound but the finish is not good. It would be cheaper and easier to wrap it I think. I'm just not sure whether to go black carbon or white.

Hopefully down the garage this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:16 pm 
Front end now covered in red oxide. Much better!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:51 pm 

i wish i could help with your choice, i have my own dilemma, all black or old english white with black roof . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:47 pm 
I think I will be sticking with the white body work and black carbon fibre wrap for the roof.

I will be doing satin black for the B and C pillars and tops of the doors.

Old English White is much nicer, much warmer than the Leyland White IMHO.

There was a lovely looking Dolly on the forum a few years back, it was black with satin black flames I think. It looked cool anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:50 am 
More time spent on the LWT yesterday. Flatted the red oxide, filled bits that needed doing, a couple of pin holes on the front and some shallow dings on the drivers side front wing, grey primer applied.

Taking shape, literally.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:48 pm 
Still plodding along. I've had this week off so have been spending as much time as possible with LWT.

I've flatted the red oxide primer, done some more sanding on the O/S doors, filled the dings on the OS front wing. There are some complex dings and ripples there, I have done what I can. I t is not perfect but such is life. I am struggling to get the dent on the lower front valance filled and profiled correctly but I will get there.

Not looking forward to laying on my back to sort out the lights, wiring and other odds and sods for the front end. If anyone is passing by North London over the next few weeks...........

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:52 pm 
Oops.

Forgot to add that I have changed the engine number on the V5C. I have now sent the V5C off again re: historic vehicle taxation class and have updated the cc to reflect the TR7 lump. I will let you all know how that goes. I sent the V5C off in the first week of April, so I should hear something soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:54 pm 
I emailed the DVLA about the delay in getting the V5C back and they are dealing with it but it may take another 4 weeks. Meh!

Not done much on the car but am struggling to get the profile correct on the lower front of the drivers wing. It is fighting me. If I had the cash I would just get one of Aluns fabulous wings and be done. Pah!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:13 am 
Brown DVLA envelope plopped onto the porch mat this morning. New V5C stating engine number and cc changes. Yay!

No hassle, no inspection or reports required. Quite easy and straightforward apart from the wait really.

Couldn't get it changed to historic at the same time as this is seemingly only possible when I come to retax the car.

No big deal but I will need to get this done at the post office who will conform the date of registration and send off the paperwork.

Good start to the morning.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:55 am 

Eyup Ken!

Ah the DVLA, always guaranteed tip top service, never have I had any issues with them. Apart from any time I've needed to have anything to do with them. Sounds like the Tolly is coming along nicely, definitely need pictures!!

Hope you're keeping well bud,

Dan

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next