The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Scruff the FWD
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:34 am 
Conifer it is then. The engine code sounds about right to me.

Don't know about the DVLA check though. Digits crossed. When is that happening?

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:55 am 
RD*****E is a 1300FWD engine code and not a goldseal unit, im interested in how the DVLA bod could tell its a true car as with no chassis plate there is no way whatsoever to tell if its stolen or a ringer (except the engine a g'box number)!?

Conifer is code 25.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:44 am 
With a car of that age, where a chassis number isn't even required, all that'll concern the DVLA is that the car actually exists! They'll simply be making sure that the identity is required to keep a genuinely old car, rather than to create a handy, tax-free identity for a newer one as often happens with minis, Land Rovers, Beetles and Trabants, to name the ones I most often spot when bored enough to have a quick game of "Spot the eBay ringer." :wink:

The fact that the 1300 wasn't being built after the deadline should make this a simple formality, would that it had been that simple with one of my Rebels, which was built in 1972 but registered for the first time in 1976 as they were overstocked with the things and took years to shift the last dozen cars. :wary:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:16 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Not too sure what he looks for myself, but should find out before too long. I assume it will be for the purposes John stated more then anything. I had to have an MGB verified a few years ago and the DVLA said I needed a representative from the MGOC to come and verify the vehicle. So I did and after a little bit of paperwork all was sorted.

I have seen many cars with identities that dont belong to that vehicle, even on our 1300's. Some claim its done legally, which it isnt with that sort of switch, but as long as the car holding the ID is the same type of car as the ID displays any legal bod would have a bloody hard time proving it and at the end of the day, if its MOTd and safe where is the problem? My question would be where's the point of switching IDs on pre 72 cars? Is there kudos for earlier plates? All rhetorical, don't worry! In my position, I need to and want to do it properly.

Minis are THE worst culprits. "I reshelled it with a later shell, new engine and gearbox, new interior, etc" so theres a late nineties Sportspack spec with a 67 Mk2 chassis plate, logbook and V5. Criminal I tells ye!

Will let you know what this inspection entails.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:26 pm 
Sometimes its just because the owner likes a plate because it has their birthdate on it or it 'spells' something (in the dark after drinking 7 bottles of vodka)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:21 pm 

So, have done a little bit in the boot today as there has been a small animal living in there at some point and its left its nest of paper, plastic and 'fluff' nestled tight behing the tank.

The lot came out, tank and all. Drained the petrol and found it looked like this...
Attachment:
File comment: Its petrol, apparently...
15082010145 - Copy.jpg
15082010145 - Copy.jpg [ 193.1 KiB | Viewed 903 times ]
Still the metalwork is all quite sound.
Attachment:
File comment: Nice solid boot
15082010144 - Copy.jpg
15082010144 - Copy.jpg [ 128.44 KiB | Viewed 903 times ]
The trim had a quick clean and was put back in place, need to scrub the mat down again, it has a fair bit of oil on it but nothing that won't come out.
Attachment:
File comment: Matador Red bootlining
15082010146 - Copy.jpg
15082010146 - Copy.jpg [ 120.27 KiB | Viewed 905 times ]
I will, weather permitting, attack the carb tomorrow, give it a good clean up. Then perhaps some fresh fuel and attempt to get her running.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 pm 

:) thats some very tidy boot trim