The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Redtop sprint
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:31 pm 
Just started my redtop conversion on my sprint.

Plan is as follows

Redtop engine fully rebuilt with pocketed pistons, 276 cams, R1 carbs, bogg brothers manifold, megajolt ignition, bespoke engine mounts, bespoke exhasut manifold to 2 inch sprint sports system. Getrag Manta 5 speed box, bespoke prop. Big winged sump. I have most of the bits.

Hoping for 200bhp and for it to be done for early next year.

Hopefully I have added pics correctly showing initial positioning of engine and box. Gearbox bellhousing seems to foul rack at the moment, need to get the engine further down and remove transmission tunnel for better location.

I'll update As I progress.

Ian

Post subject: Re: Redtop sprint
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:12 pm 
looking good. i'm still doing project zetec..3yrs and counting!!!

cheers terry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 am 
Looks good, should comfortably make 200bhp at that spec, I'll be watching with interest as I also have most of the parts required for the conversion. Keep the pictures coming!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 pm 
Engine is too far forward, push it back 6 inches
Darren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:51 pm 
Quote:
Engine is too far forward, push it back 6 inches
Darren
I also thought it looked a long way forward, but then would the gear lever not be too far to the rear if you pushed the whole lot back? That might make it a tight squeeze in the tunnel or require the remote to be taken out and the lever fitted to the gearbox directly. Is that possible on this 'box?
On the other hand; with it where it is, then assuming that you can find a radiator that'll go, the engine isn't that heavy so shouldn't affect the balance of the car too much.

But these are all things that can be fettled before any permanent welds are made and the idea's a great one.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:14 pm 
excellent looking project the engine looks like its been prepped very nicely

if you get the hunger for more than 200bhp you could always pop a vauxhall pattern saab 2.3 turbo motor onto the manta gearbox :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:20 pm 
TDC Member

Nice to see it coming together, and another french blue Redtop at that!

On mine cylinder 3 sits roughly between the suspension turrets, indicating as others have alluded, that yours is a bit further forwards at the moment.

Nice to see it coming together.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:57 pm 
Guys
Thanks for all the comments.

Yes engine seems too far forward at the moment and way too high, have pm'd mbellinger for his advice. Eighties flamer - seen pics of yours as well and it is "much" further back than mine. Did you use the manta gearbox or ford type 9? Manta box would appear to foul tunnel opening if I take it back that far, would be great for balance though.

I'll keep the pics coming as I go.

Cheers

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 pm 
Ian, yes I did use the manta box but after the third power run at emeralds rolling road it leaked a good litre of gearbox oil and has done it a few times since then, I am bored of it now so am trying to shoe horn a TVR box in, the shifter was however in the perfect position, I think I had to elongate the hole a little in the removable tunnel.
Hope this helps
Darren.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:58 pm 
Quote:
Ian, yes I did use the manta box but after the third power run at emeralds rolling road it leaked a good litre of gearbox oil and has done it a few times since then, I am bored of it now so am trying to shoe horn a TVR box in, the shifter was however in the perfect position, I think I had to elongate the hole a little in the removable tunnel.
Hope this helps
Darren.
Sure does. Just deciding where to locate the box/engine. Does your use cable or hydraulic for clutch? TVr box sounds interesting.

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:16 pm 
Ian
I used a cable for the manta box however I am going hydraulic on the TVR box.
Darren

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:16 pm 
Now had a good rummage in the engine bay with the block and gearbox. I have a feeling that the best way to fit it is to get it back as far as possible and as low as possible.

There is no way that the big winged sump will fit though if I take it back so far, but this seems the best option as per eightiesflamer approach. :shock: :lol:

I think I'll be knocking up a bespoke big winged sump with the wing towards the front of the engine. That way I will not have to chop any of the subframe. Exhaust manifold looks like it will be an interesting fit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:26 pm 
And the gearbox inside the car - seems a very nice fit if a little too high at the moment

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:58 pm 
Just a thought; could you dry sump the engine as an alternative to increasing oil capacity by means of the winged sump that won't fit with that more rearward mounting position? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:08 pm 
Quote:
Just a thought; could you dry sump the engine as an alternative to increasing oil capacity by means of the winged sump that won't fit with that more rearward mounting position? 8)
Yes, probably. But they aint cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might have a go at chopping an old sump up. It would need to be really shallow right at the front of the engine (just like the big winged sump) so as to avoid the subframe cross member. I don't want to chop the cross member off if I can help it.
Ian