The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 519 Next
 Post subject: Re: Redtop sprint
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:54 am 
TDC Member

Ian,

Sorry mate I just have not ben able to get on the forum this week due to work commitments - the odd fleeting gliumpse on iPhone has been it. I will respond to your PM's, I promise.

Darren's car has the engine right back against the bulkhead as you have positioned it. This means losing the heater airbox and fan, and that the little coolant hose on the rear of the engine becomes a real PITA to get at. Mine is just enough further forward to allow the heater airbox to fit and I can get a hand down the rear of the engine block if I need to. I have the Manta 400 winged sump like you and there are no fouling issues. Sprint engine mounts are used with fabricated brackets to attach to the block.

I am using the Manta gearbox with a cable clutch. The pedal has been modified to accept the cable and the route through the engine bay is fairly straightforward. My clutch is a Cavalier GSi pressure plate with a Carlton 2.0 litre driven plate and release bearing. The prop is a modified bespoke item with the Getrag gearbox collar at the front end, then a UJ and another UJ at the rear. The diff is standard Dolomite Sprint. The gearlever remote control has been modified by usuing a fabricated welded bracket to reposition the stick slightly and to accept the standard Toledo stick and joint so the internal appearance of the car is bog-standard. The gearbox hangs on a fabricated cross member and rear mount.

Part of the problem I have had helping you out is that the car is not here, and has not been for some time. I have been having a vast amount of work done to the car by a friendly garage on a part time basis with me assisting when I can to keep costs under some sort of control. They are also storing the car for me as, since my house move last year, I have nowhere to keep it under cover at all.

I managed to nip over to the garage on Friday to take a couple of snaps of the new water pump, timing belt and tensioner kit, thermostat, etc. The clutch has also been replaced hence my detailed knowledge of the parts comprising it above. You can just about see the nearside engine mount bracket in the first and last pictures and the offside is partially visible in the second picture. Anyhow, I hope this helps.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:30 pm 
Martin

No problem. I have plenty of time to decide what to do.

I can't figure out how yours is fitted with the big winged sump. The engine must sit quite high and I am sure that the gearbox tunnel and prop tunnel would need to be modified as the gearbox would then sit up as well.

I'll play around with things to see what's the best fit. The photos you posted are really helpful. Especially as I can see the oil filter position may be an issue to me now!

Thanks

Ian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:06 pm 
Ian, you can buy a front bowled sump with oil strainer from SBD , that will fit in between the steering rack and subframe with a bit of chopping of the front subframe crossmember.
Darren.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:23 pm 
Quote:
Ian, you can buy a front bowled sump with oil strainer from SBD , that will fit in between the steering rack and subframe with a bit of chopping of the front subframe crossmember.
Darren.

Thanks Darren. Can't find it on their website, do you have a link? What sump pan did you use?

Ta

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:28 am 
ian
just phone em.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Engine is too far forward, push it back 6 inches
Was my first thought too, but reading on its been covered. Just to add any other problems caused by moving it back will be far easier to remedy than the ill handling caused by the weight being forward of the wheels!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 pm 
Quote:
Ian
I used a cable for the manta box however I am going hydraulic on the TVR box.
Darren
Which TVR box?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:37 pm 
Quote:
Darren.

Not anymore. Apparently it was a vauxhall part for an 1800 or 2.0SE omega. This has the front bowl sump. Vauxhall say it is no longer available. SBD were very helpful though giving me the vauxhall part number which is 9041 25 82
Looks like i'll be chasing down scappers to get one.
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:49 pm 
Engine now moved back 6 inch. I fear the front subframe cross memeber is going to get chopped. Bit tight on the bonnet clearance as well.

Gearbox seems to sit in a good position as well

Ian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:20 pm 
Now trial fitted the original gearbox mount. It remarkably close to the getrag 5 speed box mounting point. Looks like I will just have to mock up a bracket to attach it to the sprint rubber mount.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:28 pm 
Also fitted the gear lever, needs a gear knob but it feels acceptable. Might have to relieve the hole in the tunnel a little but happy with the current position of the box.

Hopefully a front bowl sump from some german spec omega (1800 cc?) will be here next week (nightmare trying to locate a front bowl sump for a redtop engine!)

Then I can really set the engine in place ready to make up some mounts. Then it's out with the engine to complete the full rebuild and a full rebuild of the getrag 5 speed box as well.

Making steady progress.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:16 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi Ian,

it might be worth trying the g/box crossmember backwards to move it closer to the getrag mounting, when fitted backwards the crossmember moves a bit....... dont ask how I know!!

Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:09 am 
Good idea.
I think I would have to elongate the holes in the chassis though as the they don't run parallel and hence would be slightly out f I turn it around.

I have a go today to see how it fits.
Thanks
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 pm 
Now fitted the sprint gearbox mount backwards. It lines up pretty much perfect as to where I want to fit the gearbox. :D :D :D

Just a case of modifying the sprint mount and job's done!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:29 pm 
Pic of clearance for sump to get past the steering rack.

It's about 45mm (thickness of the two pieces of wood). This will give about 5-10mm clearance for the top of the engine against the bonnet! Tight but doable.

All hinges on the depth of the front bowl sump I have ordered.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 519 Next