The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Nice lamp! i used ontario blue to paint my transmission cover. halfords dont do sapphire blue off the shelf but they can mix it in rattle cans for you, i think its under paint code BLVC 96 on their computers, i used that to paint the inside of my boot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm 
Not allots been done to Eeyore this chapter. Due to me having an MGB GT, an MG Midget and a Triumph Herald which all need restoring, Eeyore's had to take a backwards stance in the list of priorities.

Some of you may remember my Thread about putting a Triumph Herald Engine into a Toledo. Well i was going to do this as Eeyore's engine has started to make a rumbling noise at idle caused by the big ends. Well, i found out having done an autopsy to the Herald engine that it wasn't in good health at all!! So i decided to stick with the engine that in the car. The Big end bearings are on order and i should hopefully be able to fit them in the forth coming weeks.

Also, i saw this on eBay a couple of days ago:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130743977438? ... 500wt_1203

I thought it'd look good in Eeyore so i bidded and won.

I've fitted the Smiths Mini-Tac this evening after the torrential rain we had here.

Thats all really folks this time

Thanks for reading

Jordan

:D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
Hi Guys,

Well Allots been done to Eeyore since the last time i updated this thread. Here's some photos which i've taken over the period to show whats been done.

^ What started as cleaning the car on a Sunday afternoon, soon progressed to a full unplanned respray.
Eeyore had a few blisters appearing on his bonnet, so i started angle grinding them and treating them to some rust prevention liquid. A few hours later and i had realized that i had started something which was going to take a lot longer than expected!
I got it all done and resprayed within a week though so it wasn't too much trouble
Eeyore had a few blisters appearing on his bonnet, so i started angle grinding them and treating them to some rust prevention liquid. A few hours later and i had realized that i had started something which was going to take a lot longer than expected!

^ Having found an MG 1300 fuel, temperature and oil pressure gauge on ebay going cheap, i thought i'd buy it and retro fit it into Eeyore. I had to buy a oil pressure kit for the oil pressure gauge to read, but other than that it was a simple swap.
The new gauge doesn't have the indicator or Main beam warning light, so i had to drill into the dash to fit these chrome rimmed warning lights. They looks quite period i think.
I also fitted a new choke cable and fitted a 70's retro clock, which i think came out of a mid 1970's Ford as it had the dating stamp of 1976 on it, and Fords logo.

^ Having visited a local car boot sale back in September, i found a store who sold thin carpet which i thought would be perfect for me to try and make a new carpet set for Eeyore.
The finished set fits quite well, even if the Colour is a bit too 70's and vibrant! Still for less than £12 for everything including the caret, glue and bit and bobs, its not bad at all compared to the £100+ they want for a new kit.

^ I thought i'd add this Austin/Morris 1300 badge which i bought off eBay for £7 i think. I tried all sorts of positions for it, but ended up liking this position.

These are some reasent picture s of Eeyore.

Mechanically i haven't had to do a lot to Eeyore, I think i fitted a new distributor to him in September, which had really improved running.
So has the K&N filter which I fitted a few weeks ago, the improvement in full throttle acceleration now is massive!!! He's a proper little pocket rocket now!!

The Future

Well having purchased a Morris Minor Traveller in September as a new restoration project, i was intending to replace Eeyore with it. This would mean i would have to sell Eeyore come the new year, but i'm still undecided whether or not to put Eeyore in storage when the Morris is complete.

For starters i dont have a clue what Eeyore is worth? Also, i think I've grown quite attached to the dear old thing.

If i do keep Eeyore, i intend to do some more work to him;
- like replace all the bushes and suspension components.
- Do a bottom end rebuild (as the top end was done earlier in the year), as the oil pressure is pretty terrible!! Cold starts are usually around 60 psi, At 50 mph on the motorway its around 40 psi and at idle when warm its around 10 psi. I've got he parts all ready for the rebuild it's just having the time doing it.
- Fit a new headlining
- Fit a new stainless steal exhaust.
- Replace both out sills
and a few other little bits and pieces.

Fuel Consumption.
My fuel consumption around town in Eeyore had never been that good. I'm currently achieving around 25mpg around town, These are really short 4 mile round trip to and from uni, in heavy traffic and cold conditions. This is with gently driving.
However, on the motorway at 50-60 mph, he'll happily achieve 35-40mpg depending on how long the run is.
So i don't think i have a problem, the Rover 25 and Austin Maestro my family had both achieved around the same, in the same conditions.

I thinks Thats all for now, sorry for such a long thread haha

Kind regards and Thanks

Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:49 pm 
Looks nice Jordan! I like the Herald hubcaps and the polished bezels on your dials - much nicer than flat black, albeit more reflective. The dashboard vent looks familiar too!!!

Any idea why your steering column nacelle has two grommets, one either side of the wheel?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:58 pm 
Great update, I like the dash fitments.

Please keep Eeyore - I promise you'll only regret selling her mate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:31 pm 
Quote:
Looks nice Jordan! I like the Herald hubcaps and the polished bezels on your dials - much nicer than flat black, albeit more reflective. The dashboard vent looks familiar too!!!

Any idea why your steering column nacelle has two grommets, one either side of the wheel?
Hello Jim, Yes thank you for helping me out with that vent :) Almost new condition!
Regarding the two grommets on the column surround, I originally had my warning lights mounted in those holes (which i drilled for purpose), Left hole had the Indicator warning light and Right had the main beam warning light. It looked good, but after week or so i decided to drill the dash, so i bought some 1/2" grommets to fill the holes. I was intending to fit a choke warning light in the left and a Hand brake warning light in the right.

Yes i never did like the standard Toledo gauges, and i had some spare Herald 13/60 parts (from one of my previous restorations) so fitted the Heralds hubcaps and gauges (Combination gauge was then changed again for the MG 1300 one).
Quote:
Great update, I like the dash fitments.

Please keep Eeyore - I promise you'll only regret selling her mate.
Thanks Pal, I'm starting to lean towards keeping him, (I think he's a boy, or could well be a girl?) Haha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 am 
Try to keep hold of the car is you can Jordan, they're pretty thin on the ground now and you're unlikely to find another early car with such a nice colour-scheme.

Perhaps alter the car's look by reverting to the 5.5J 'GT6' steels?! :twisted: They look great on period rims.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:02 pm 
Looking as good as ever sir...!

I like what you're doing to this lovely Toledo, it all looks just so 'right' and you obviously know what you're doing.

I agree with the above coment on the wider Spitfire steels, I think they'd set this little gem of a real treat!

What happened to the Smiths rev' counter you fitted? I thought that looked fantastic...!!!

Anyhow, don't sell this car as you will instantly regret it and you've doen so much to make it your own it'd just be a waste of a lot of TLC on your part... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:03 pm 
I have to agree about the Smiths Mini-Tach...so much so that Jordan's one now resides in my car! It had been on my wish list for years, so when Jordan kindly offered to sell it to me I was delighted! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:48 pm 
Quote:
Try to keep hold of the car is you can Jordan, they're pretty thin on the ground now and you're unlikely to find another early car with such a nice colour-scheme.

Perhaps alter the car's look by reverting to the 5.5J 'GT6' steels?! :twisted: They look great on period rims.
Quote:
Looking as good as ever sir...!

I like what you're doing to this lovely Toledo, it all looks just so 'right' and you obviously know what you're doing.

I agree with the above coment on the wider Spitfire steels, I think they'd set this little gem of a real treat!

What happened to the Smiths rev' counter you fitted? I thought that looked fantastic...!!!

Anyhow, don't sell this car as you will instantly regret it and you've doen so much to make it your own it'd just be a waste of a lot of TLC on your part... :wink:
Thanks for the kind words guys, Regarding the wheels, there now on my Dad's Triumph Vitesse.

Quote:
I have to agree about the Smiths Mini-Tach...so much so that Jordan's one now resides in my car! It had been on my wish list for years, so when Jordan kindly offered to sell it to me I was delighted! :D
I'm glad your happy with it Jim :)

Guys its not looking good for poor old Eeyore, I've recently found a Triumph Herald 1200 which i really quite like. If i do get the Herald Eeyore will be up for sale come the new year.

I really don't have a clue what Eeyore's worth? Would anyone like to tell me what they thing he's worth?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:45 pm 
Shame you are thinking of selling. Love what you did with the dash and dial. Ya gotta do a 'how to do it' guide so that I can do the same. Details of the dial?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:28 pm 
Thanks, the Speedometer is a Herald 13/60 item, and the combination gauge can be found on either a Austin/Morris 1300 GT, Riley Kestrel (i think) or a MG 1300. The gauge comes with a little chrome button in the center, so i took that one off and glued on the center button of my old unit.

They match each other really quite well. Similar scripts and fonts used.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:21 pm 
It's a shame that your Toledo will be moving on to pastures new but I suppose you've got to keep moving on when you're in to old motors...!!! I really like how it looked when those GT6 wheels were on it by the way, they looked perfectly purposeful...

On the strength of one of your comments above I purchased a K&N air filter for my Toledo and I just wondered if you'd be kind enough to get some under-bonnet shots just so I know how it'll look once fitted... :wink:

All the best sir...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 pm 
Hi Guys,

Unfortunetly this could be of my last updates on this particular thread, as i've bought the Triumph Herald 1200 and i'm collecting tomorrow.

This means that Eeyore will have to find a new home. We've been through allot over the past year. Getting stuck in the snow last January, not being able to get up a hill when cylinder number four failed and then having my first car accident.

He's been a great first car and companion.

Because of this I decided to take him to the park today, for one last good old blast about. Here's some snaps;

Quote:
On the strength of one of your comments above I purchased a K&N air filter for my Toledo and I just wondered if you'd be kind enough to get some under-bonnet shots just so I know how it'll look once fitted... :wink:
All the best sir...
I've uploaded one for you mate, the K&N made a huge improvement on full throttle openings.

Thanks for all the support you guys have given me throughout this last year.

Kind regards

Jordan :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 pm 

:snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel: :snivel:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next