The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:15 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I would do this....whip out the plugs so as not to overload the startet.

Whip off the rocker cover. Spin it over and see if you get a visible pulse of oil out of each rocker finger. If you dont.....dont run it until its sorted.

You can take the rocker off by just undoing the angled bolts. Yes you do risk the head gasket, but if its cold and you have no water in there you will get away
with it 9 out of ten times.

My 2 cents...:-) but a head gasket is also cheaper than a cam shaft, and you can sort this if you strip and clean it.

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 am 
hmmm, too much time between updates and certainly lacking some photo goodness in this thread.

prompted a bit by plainsgirl who is running a dolly in tassie viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23908&p=233495#p233495, here is what I have been up to:

firstly, checking down the oil feed to the camshaft as recommended by jonners. Took the rocker cover off and fired up the engine to observe the camshaft. Predictably, I got oil everywhere but was pleased to observe oil covering every cam lobe. For good measure, I blew compressed air down each journal and I'm fairly confident it is okay. I should put up a vid on youtube of this, quite funny spraying oil from the timing chain and trying to film it all happening.

The fuel tank was internally sealed using a product called KBS "Gold". Just a small 500ml tin did two tanks (with some left over).
Attachment:
File comment: the sealant, KBS gold. cost around $35 i think, you can also get a complete kit with tank cleaner etc.
sPB250023s.jpg
sPB250023s.jpg [ 59.41 KiB | Viewed 2670 times ]
I had previously repaired the holes by getting george to weld a patch on the bottom of the tank. I washed out the tank with water and dried it thoroughly with a hot air gun. To prevent the sealant blocking up the outlet tube, I made up a plug using an old paintbrush handle and a bit of timber. I wedged this into the outlet tube (inside the tank) before pouring in the sealant.
Attachment:
File comment: the device for blocking the outlet tube. This is essential, the sealant appears capable of blocking substantial holes and could easily get into and block the pipes.
sPB250024.jpg
sPB250024.jpg [ 51.32 KiB | Viewed 2670 times ]
It seemed to work well, the finished tank got coated nicely.
Attachment:
File comment: Looking inside the tank after treatment. Thick silver coating, almost plastic and claimed to be impervious to every known solvent. A bit ended up on the shed floor and I reckon it is indestructible !
sPB250033.jpg
sPB250033.jpg [ 98.09 KiB | Viewed 2670 times ]
Work is progressing slowly on the rest of the car. I sorted out the rear lights, resprayed the black around the boot and back of the car. Currently working on the front lights, but next job will be rubbing back the bottom of the front of the car and respraying with yellow, just to get rid of the obvious rust marks. Oh, and the seats are back in, waiting on getting the doors back from George who is hopefully thinking about repairing the bottom sills sometime this year.

The 2500 is taking up much too much time actually, having replaced all of the front suspension bushes and sorting the electrics (except the overdrive) so now I have lights and indicators.

stu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 pm 

So why not ad a thread on the 2500 too. I'd love to read that....and we've even had mk1 Astras on here...

Go for it...

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 am 
This is really great.. Thanks especially for the pics. Nice to know something works well :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 am 
another few months and some more progress.

doesn't seem like I've done much, but looking back:

the front of the car, under the bumper was rubbed back and given a dodgy spray pack coat of paint, which, unsurprisingly, doesn't match the rest of the car :)

the indicators were refurbed (with the best available selected from my stock).

headlight surrounds and headlights replaced

George finished the two left side doors, which had rotted out sills and rust around the wing mirror holes. I collected them and rubbed back the primer he had applied a bit too generously to get the black side stripes back, then sprayed yellow to at least make them fit in with the rest of the car. This was dead dodgy as well, I brought out the air gun and attempted to spray from the leftovers George gave me from the original sprint. Having watched George and used plenty of thinner, not being too worried about the final finish, I was pretty confident it was a no brainer, but it appears brains were needed. I used enamel thinners and the paint was a 604 poly. It went on okay, but will need fixing in the future, when the car gets a full reco. Still, at least the car is generally the correct colour !

I refitted all of the door glass, rubbers, fitted new inner and outer weatherstrips. Still got a problem with the right hand rear door striker as the door sits about 3mm proud and wobbles, no more play left to get it to sit closer. I did realise, after fitting the doors, that the hinges were a bit rubbish, too much vertical play due to wear, so that is also on the list of things to do. Doors took forever, but at least the windows go up and down !

then, onto the bumpers. I smile every time I think of top gear getting the rear bumper to fall off their sprint, because they are a bugger of a job to get off with an assortment of hacksaws, vicegrips and skinned knuckles. I stole the decent rear bumper off the red 1850, but I'm still short of a good number plate lamp, I have 5 and only 1 has an intact base. Front bumper was also refitted. I took the time to rub back the inside of the bumpers, treated them with rust converter and sprayed them with black zinc. Captive nuts my ar$e.

Brakes checked and bled

float valves replaced (thanks sprintparts)

Then it was time to invite the local bobby over to do a vehicle ID check. We are so lucky in not having an MoT here, for all he had to do was verify the engine number and VA#, accept $58 and make some pointed observations about it needing a bit more work before it gets back on the road. The historical vehicle club had already visited last January to verify it was in fact, a 1976 dolomite sprint and was pretty much original, so yesterday I went in, paid my $168 to get her registered and picked up the new number plates. So, if I'm careful, I can now legally drive her on the road.

Today's effort was bits and bobs, stripped back the air cleaner, prior to spraying with that dove grey colour. Waiting for the rust converter to work while I type up this.
Attachment:
File comment: engine has at least been running
P7100003s.jpg
P7100003s.jpg [ 646.11 KiB | Viewed 2487 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: a left a bonnet around here somewhere...
P7100002s.jpg
P7100002s.jpg [ 657.86 KiB | Viewed 2487 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: 604 poly paint with enamel thinners, who's to know ? Traces of grey primer in the centre of the black stripes as well.
P7100004s.jpg
P7100004s.jpg [ 546.07 KiB | Viewed 2487 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: brand spanking new number plate
P7100005s.jpg
P7100005s.jpg [ 544.23 KiB | Viewed 2487 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: rear plate, the exhaust is merely for show, nothing else is under the car.
P7100007s.jpg
P7100007s.jpg [ 532.9 KiB | Viewed 2487 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: needs a bit of a clean as well. The "to do list" stuck to the car !
P7100008s.jpg
P7100008s.jpg [ 620.8 KiB | Viewed 2487 times ]
a question: I've been reading about people setting the float levels differently between the front and rear carbs. I'm not sure how this is achieved. Not that I've noticed any problems with the carbs (yet), but how ?

The other bit of news is that we are moving to Adelaide in 6 months. After 17 years teaching here, I'm acutely aware of the declining numbers at the school and professionally, it will be more rewarding to teach my subjects to bigger classes. So, goodbye shed and likely, goodbye stag, both 1850s and the 2500. I intend to hang onto both sprints and, depending on facilities in the new house, possibly, just possibly the stag.

stu

Post subject: Aye......
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for the update Stu.
When you go to Adelaide will you be taking George too........?

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:17 pm 

Aaaargh....
Leaving the shed.....no you can't.....

I'm surprised you say numbers are declining, cos everyone I know wants to move to Oz.

Great read as always Stu. Did you ever do anything on the 2500 for us to read?

What needs doing to the Stag?

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:35 pm 
thanks Ian and Jonners,

The 2500 is used as a runabout, after replacing all of the front suspension bushes, she is dragged out every now and again for a run. The only car I have with a tow bar, so quite useful now we have sold the ute. She is very nice to drive, but what appears to be terminal rust problems everywhere I look.

The stag is running soundly but the bodywork is the problem. Rust in all the main places, bonnet, boot, rear wings, doors. The po did a great job bringing the mechanicals up to scratch but along the way someone has resprayed (in carmine) over the original carmine without doing a skerrick of prep work. So the paint is flaking off everywhere and the rust bubbles are quite alarming. Given the chance, I'd hang onto all the cars, but it will depend how we go finding a place in Adelaide.

Refitted the rear seat belts and rear seat today and went for a start, but the sprint wouldn't fire, so waiting overnight to bring the battery back up to full charge and I'll give it another go.

You guys are slipping a bit...you walloped us in the Lions vs Wallabies series (well, you walloped us in game 3, the other two were very close), you've just won wimbledon and Froome is leading TdF. You are slipping as I've not heard a word from you all ! Actually, the rugby was some of the best I've seen in a long time and TdF is just fantastic this year, why oh why didn't movistar attack in the Pyrenees when they had froome isolated ? As for Cavendish wiping out the rider, shame ! Rivetting. Do Ligget and Sherwin provide the commentary in the UK ?

stu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:29 am 

Sorry Stu I'm just not a Rugby person.....

But Murray's win at Wimbledon has lifted my mood, if not the entire country.

I thought cars didn't rust so much down under? I'm sure you could have the Stag back to bodilly heath soon with some flapwheels and a leccy drill...
Can you get Bilt Hamber down there? Its now my rust converting jollop of choice...

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:57 pm 

Stu, maybe you could commute to Adelaide. (I don't know how far you live away from there). If so the 2500 or maybe the Stag could be the car of choice on a normal rego. It would cost more than the Historic rego but there would be no restrictions. I commuted 50 miles (80km) each way to York and back for 7 months in my Acclaim. I didn't have any restrictions (unlimited mileage on the insurance policy - one good thing about insuring through Footman James) and had to pay road tax (no Historic taxation class being a 1983 car).

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post subject: Aye......
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Do Ligget and Sherwin provide the commentary in the UK ?
They do indeed :D .

Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm 
just off to bed, but TdF has captured my attention again. Flat stage, the field is currently split into 4 pieces with Valverde caught out by a puncture and Kittel looks like he will miss the sprint finish. As will Goss :( I'm supposed to be driving 800km tomorrow, leaving at 6.00am, and I'm watching men on bikes....aaaaaaargh ! But gee it's a good tour !

Adelaide to here is about a 3.5 hour drive, so a bit far for a commute. We thought about renting a place in Adelaide, commuting on weekends, but my wife already has job offers, so with a transfer guarantee for me, seems smart to up stumps...

talking about which, cricket has so blotted its image down here, with team sagas, punch ups, homework disciplinary action, coach sackings and failure on the pitch, I'd given up on the whole franchise/corporate/marketing thing. But, channel surfing around, I'll confess I linger over the cricket for an over or two.

got the engine started today, nice healthy roar. Lack of exhaust helps :)

I don't think cars rust here as badly as they do when driven around on salted roads in a country that rains 300 days each year, but 30+ years damages most iron.

while I'm waxing lyrical, just been watching a great doco on TV about Australia's geological history. Called "A time traveler's guide to Australia", one of those docos that reveals how little I knew. With no big mountain ranges and being the flattest continent on earth (and no big dinosuars), we get a bit blase about geology, but dig down a bit and it is awesome. It'd put my students to sleep in 5 minutes, but really excellent.

...back to le tour :)

(thanks Ian, the reason I ask about Sherwin and Ligget is that they are mighty knowledgeable and great to listen to, but their cock ups are legendary, worth every second !)

stu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm 

Yeah, I thought it might be a bit far for you to commute. Hope you find a place with a decent size shed. Your current shed is bigger than most peoples' houses over here.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:37 am 
Good to see progress, enjoyed reading your Stag adventures on the triumphowners forum when i had my yellow stag. Too bad you have to leave your shed. My 6mx10m shed is now full here and I need another one, thinking a 12m by 7m with carport on the front.

If you need to find a home for a displaced Dolly might be able to help out. Finally managed to get my self a 1300 and have never had a dolly and am pretty impressed by these cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:45 pm 
I didn't know we had the 1300 in Oz, so pleased to hear they exist ! :) Good to hear from you and thanks for the offer on the dolly. I've had a bit more of a look at them and come to the conclusion that the green 1850 is beyond saving, but the carmine 1850 is possibly worth it, still lots of rust in her though. I'm not sure what plans Aaron (Portland) has for dolomite ownership now, he was going to have a look but his plans changed. Bendigo/Ballarat often throw up dolomites, bit nearer to you !

nice stable of cars as well, what happened to the stag ? what do you think of the skoda ?

It is a shame triumphowners doesn't generate more traffic, I've yet to find a healthy Oz forum for triumphs, even the Sports Owner's forums are quiet.

stu

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next