The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 am 
All day spannering day today.

Refitted the gearbox mount, that'll teach me for thinking I knew what I was doing...always check the instructions. It would have been a lot easier on a hoist without the exhaust getting in the way, but got it sorted. Handy that the bridged bolts that hold the plate on through the floor can be taken out from inside the car, that saved a lot of grief.

Got the washer bottle and windscreen jets sorted as well.

Fitted the speedo cable while I was in that area. Working speedo now.

But, another problem has arisen. Found it really hard to start this morning. Running really rough after an excellent trip on Friday. The only change was a full tank of premium. After filling with water and oil and retorquing the head, took her out for a 20 minute run to try and diagnose the problem. I think it is down to fuel starvation, so I tried my usual trick of blowing air back down the fuel line to dislodge any rubbish in the tank, but succeeded in pressurising the tank and could hear air escaping from the filler cap. Released the pressure and had another go. Maybe a vacuum developing in the tank ? I wouldn't think a few ml of fuel being sucked out would be such an issue. The filter was clean and I hooked it all back up, but still a very rough engine now. What on earth has happened since friday's run ? I almost didn't make it home the hesitation was so bad.

Tracked down an oil leak around the distributor mounting plate.

then removed the starter from the 2500, trying to track down why the starter isn't turning. Battery checked out okay, all connections were good, symptoms are slight dimming of the dash lights when the starter is engaged, but nothing else, no clicking, no solenoid noise, no whirring, nothing. On the bench same thing, a little bit of a spark consistent with a low amperage load, but no solenoid or motor spin even when connecting 12V direct to the motor. A hoist would have been handy ! replacement starter ordered for $40.

productive day, thanks to all the good folk who pointed out faults under the car, much appreciated.

stu

Post subject: Aye indeed......
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:21 pm 
TDC Member

'Tis a good feeling when you know you have accomplished something :D .

Back to the expansion tank,
This is what I have on my car now. It sits above the engine so the low level sensor will be triggered BEFORE the coolant level drops in the engine.
It is from a Volvo 850 but there are other makes/models that I am sure will be suitable.
The total capacity of the system is now increased from 5.4 to over 6 litres.

(Since taking that photo a couple of years ago)
I am now using Evans waterless coolant and am of the opinion that this is the way to go. :wink: A longterm test from a hotter climate would be worthwhile........

Ian.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Stu

Oil leak below the distributor mounting plate? I had the same problem here. The O-ring on the distributor body - the part of the body which slides down into the block had gone hard and cracked, which then led to the oil leak. My local O-ring supplier had a suitable replacement for the princely sum of about 37 cents!!

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:36 am 
excellent, thanks Robert and Ian.

to answer another question I had via pm on the tyres fitted, they are Yokohama S306 185/60R13.

stu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 pm 

re the starter issue, check you engine earth strap especially if the engine has been out lately.

Sprints tend to use the throttle cable as an alternative earth return which gets interesting when they overheat!.

A jump lead from battery minus to the block will do the job as a diagnosis.

Jonnners

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:28 am 
thanks jonners, i'll check that, but the problem is rough running and massive hesitation under high-ish revs and load. Typical fuel starvation symptoms, as more fuel is needed the flow can't keep up. I replaced the float valves (cured the problem with fuel coming out of the carbon filter canister we have here, same as dagget's problem). What worries me is the car went from running really well, to running like a dog in one fill of the petrol tank. I am going to check with the local petrol station and see if that fuel (premium) is okay, for that is the kind of obvious connection: what did I do last before the symptoms started ?

stu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:19 am 

The type of fuel has nothing to do with starvation. Check your fuel pressure. There are two types of float needles. Smal and big. The dimensions and looks are the same but the bore is different. The big one shave a little slot machined in and the small are plain.

This a big one with a little slot machined in:
Attachment:
imagesCANN7SA7.jpg
imagesCANN7SA7.jpg [ 8.49 KiB | Viewed 2043 times ]
Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 am 
sorry jeroen, I'm not describing it properly. I was thinking perhaps the fuel was contaminated rather than the wrong type. Car ran well, filled up with fuel, now car doesn't run well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:43 pm 
TDC Member

I had a similar problem once with a car just put back on the road, and I know Robert did similarly. These turned out to be fine rust from the tank or fuel line being churned up and getting into the fuel filter and even the float chambers. Maybe worth a check? I ended up putting a couple of those small in line filters in and changing them after they got most of the muck out of the line / tank.

Geoff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 am 
Did you put in a lead replacement additive? They are meant to stop sticky valves in cars that are from the leaded generation and dont have hardened valve seats. Maybe thats causing the high rpm problems?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:33 am 

Because it is a Sprint, it has hardened valve seats being an alloy cylinder head so the lead issue doesn't apply. It is probably best to start from scratch and check everything starting with the ignition and then moving on to the fuel system.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:55 am 
Thanks for the ideas. I had a bit of a look last weekend, too much else going on to get serious about sorting it, but I checked the piston dampers and they were both empty of oil. The carb pistons were moving up and down rather easily and falling with a decent clunk. Topped up the dashpots but haven't had a chance to start up to check if it is sorted.

I'm going to open up the float valve chambers again to check. Then I'll replace the inline filter, check the delivery from the pump, all the normal stuff. I'm convinced it is a fuel starvation problem.

stupid 2500 starter motors...at least that is fixed

this weekend a chap from Geelong (500km away) is driving across to trailer away the red 1850 and salvage as much as he can from the green 1850. I'll take what is left (probably the engine, front and rear glass etc) and call in the metal man to cart the shell away. Green is really rotten, so no loss there. The place I've snagged in Adelaide has a double garage (actually a shed, currently occupied by an XJS in parts) so room for both sprints and spares. The stag should be picked up this weekend, but the new owner looks like arriving on Thursdayu (400km drive from Mildura). Life is a tad busy at the moment.

stu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:02 am 
Quote:
Because it is a Sprint, it has hardened valve seats being an alloy cylinder head so the lead issue doesn't apply. It is probably best to start from scratch and check everything starting with the ignition and then moving on to the fuel system.
Ahh thats a good point. I'll stop using it in my cars then. Save a couple of $'s :)

Did you check for leaks underneath the car as well? Theres a couple of flexible hoses under there... to state the obvious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:53 am 
long time between posts, but news now to hand, both good and bad.

The move to adelaide is all but complete. I've scored a house on one of the busiest roads in Adelaide, which has access from a divided road and constant traffic. Beautiful old house in need of some TLC, but the road noise is something else. A sound barrier fence is one of my first priorities !

Importantly, the garage is in need of replacement. Double garage 7.5m long by 6m wide, so a bit of room at the back for a work area, but not enough to do serious work. I stand in awe of what Mart and some other can do in a limited space, but that isn't for me. A new 9m long by 6m wide shed with a 3m "lean to" on the long 9m side, meaning essentially a 9m x 9m shed. Room for both sprints in there with a decent amount of workshop space. I purchased a 1993 Mitsubishi Triton ute (petrol) to help with the move and she has already done sterling service. The Holden Commodore wagon will be sold. So two cars in the shed, one under a carport down the side of the house in a while.

Getting the cars up was fun. The first sprint, the restored one, came up without a snag, parked up in the shed. It is a 350km trip and went like a charm. I really need to get some expert help to sort out the suspension and steering though, as the more I drive her the more I realise she shouldn't be that skittish.

I thought I'd sorted the second sprint problems. A new exhaust was fitted which meant a 280km round trip "test drive" and she was running like a charm. Also a lot more precise in steering and handling than sprint#1. The fuel problems didn't come back and appeared to be solved, she was starting first time, no major oil leaks except the dissie seal and a few gearbox leaks.

I set off at 5.00am, in the dark, so I could catch a lift back home with some friends who were in Adelaide at 9.00am. All was fantastic for the first 200km except for a temp gauge that wasn't working so I was a bit nervous about overheating. I ran the car heater as it was quite cold. At 200km the heater blower stopped pumping out hot air. Warning signs, so I pulled up and found I had run out of water. The cooling system wasn't pressurised. I filled up carefully and slowly and made it another 100km before the same thing happened, except this time I caught it before the heater went totally cold. Another fill up and on my way again, running beautifully, no pinking or sign of engine issues. I made it to the first stop, running a bit late and not wanting to put my friends out, left the sprint under a carport 20km from the actual house and returned home.

I went to drive the sprint the final 20km and was delighted that after checking the water, she again started first time. However the joy was short lived as the old fuel starvation symptoms reappeared. 3/4 Full tank though, fuel filters looked okay, so possibly a more significant issue and after 2km I turned back around and just made it back to the temporary carport with very little engine power left. I'm now thinking I've done a head gasket (and therefore possibly something worse like a head warp). No mayonnaise, oil is fine, but still the issue of where the water went (no obvious leaks). I don't think the expansion tank cap was sealing properly and I'll investigate that issue as well, but for now, I'll be doing a compression test and sorting out the engine. I've since car trailered her home to here and she is sitting under a cover in the back yard. The ute was a big win here !

Unfortunately everything is now on hold while I get the new shed approved and built. My finances just extend that far, but I think the plan will be to embark on a total resto for the second sprint. The idea that I could simply replace some oil seals and hope the engine was sound was fairly optimistic, so with the technology available and a decent shed in 6 months or so, the work will start.

In the meantime, sprint #1 will serve as a daily driver (within the 90 day per year use) when I start work again. My new school is Seaton High School, about 14km away. I rode the distance there and back yesterday without too much of an issue. Public transport takes 65 minutes, I can ride it comfortably in around 30-35 minutes. I'm guessing it is a 20 minute drive. So drive on wet and windy days, ride on the others with the ute as a back up.

I'm going to drop in on the Triumph Sports Owners Assoc (SA) meeting on 21 January. They are primarily TR focussed but have a goodly stable of dolomites (some rather nice) and come well recommended. To keep historic (concessional) rego I'll need to join them and I think their events will be great value as well. They meet a stone's throw away so very convenient.

Well, that's about it. Very traumatic time moving house and a few other personal issues impacted on the move, but trying to get settled in and adjust to the noise. From a rural house with lots of space, to a house where the traffic is constant and the back yard is a gravel wasteland, I have a lot to do.

I'll get some pics up in a while. I'm hoping that all of my existing pics which are hosted at rbm.com.au will stay, I've changed internet providers and I'm kinda' wondering how I put up with the slow service in the country, it is blindingly fast here and about 1/3 the price !

stu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 am 
Well done with the move, now the exciting part fitting in to suburbia. The shed sounds ideal, i built the 6x10m shed here but it is way too small for all the cars, in the process of getting new the 6X12 with hoist.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next