The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Looong term 1300.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 pm 
Ok,

thanks for your help, Jonners. :)

thanks for nothing, Jeroen. :wary:

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:24 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

You're welcome.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:51 pm 
Quote:
I suggest you take a look under your car so you know how it looks like. Spend some time investigating how a dolomite is build, open the bonnet and boot for example. buy a workshop manual and a partsbook and all your question you can find yourself the answer.

Jeroen :wary:
I thought Jeroen gave you some good advice Dave before starting a project as big as changing the engine it is a good idea to get to know the car very well indeed.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:04 pm 
I do realise that I might have asked for some information that could have been obtained by reading books or documents elsewhere, but since this is a forum set up to discuss dolomites, I fancied asking you lot.

No?

:?

Please don't worry. It won't be the first car I've stumbled across/known nothing about before I start etc etc...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 am 
Davey I don't know why people are taking this stance with you, but I can assure you that you can ask as many questions as you like here (no matter what the subject) and someone will endeavour to provide you with an answer based on their own experience rather than the text in a manual written 30 + years ago when the cars were new.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 am 

You ask a question, get the answer and need another confirmation again?

There's no stance but if you're planning to fit another engine and don't take the time to see for yourself if an anti roll bar can be fitted by 4 bolts just by a quick look under your car????????

Jeroen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:47 pm 

Dont worry Jeroen...

I think something sometimes gets lost a little in transalation in either direction...:-)

If you look under a car that doesn't have a bar, how are you going to see it only takes 4 bolts to fix it?...:-)

It can actually be a bit of a pita getting a spanner down the gap in the radius arm while threading a bolt through a narrow hole in one fixed and one dangly bit of car. The bolts are always rusty...so clean them up first and make them as close to finger tight as you can before fitting...my advice.

And I totally agree with Jeroen that getting a manual and then taking time to peruse same is money in the bank in saved time. And it means you then ask
more intelligent questions that is more fun for us "experts" to argue about...

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:59 pm 
Hi Dave. No intention to be unfriendly on my part. I've found this to be a brilliantly friendly forum! I'm also no expert!
Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 am 
OK.

Time to clarify and make friends.

Jeroen reckons that I asked, got an answer and asked again.
It's pretty clear that four bolts will do it. My 're-asking' should have been worded: "Does the ARB bolt straight to the trailing arms, or are there any bushes involved?" - I see the four holes.

I think Jon Tilson might have a point when he mentions translation.

Also, my first post clearly states that this is my first Dolomite (it's actually the first Triumph I've ever been in!) and that it's a very long term project. I have no intentions of flinging in a huge engine without thinking about it. I fully intend to get the rest of the car up to speed first. Hence the question about lengthening the final drive, for instance.

Again, please be assured that this is not the first car I've ever worked on.
I will admit that it's the first time I've seriously THOUGHT ABOUT (remember LOOONG term) a cross-manufacturer engine transplant.
I have performed 'in house' ones in the past.
I've also undertaken a couple of true nut-and-bolt restorations.

So, please, let's start again.

My name's Dave, and I'm hoping to do some cool things to a Triumph Dolomite that landed in my lap at a Christmas party last year. I've never owned one, so I hope you'll help...

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:06 am 

Welcome Dave,

I'm Jeroen.

At school i was a real pain in the sss for the most teachers but nowaday's i'm more mild.
Not everything can be dismissed with lost in translation because most of the time i do know what is written and what i have written. Sometimes i'm in "that" mood and can't stand people who ask and ask and don't try and look first. Guess i was wrong about you.

So, that's mild.

You can ask all.

Jeroen :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:53 pm 

I've just had a look at Jeroen's first post on this thread and I agree that you should get a workshop manual (even the Haynes is better than nothing!) and the parts catalogue. You will learn a few things which will save you some time and grief but in some cases there's no substitute for experience so please feel free to pick our collective brains even if it is something obvious.

I don't know if you are going to fit the same engine as somebody else or do something different. I know that Jod mentioned the 1.25 Zetec lump as used in the Fiesta but what about the 1.3 Duratec? This is descended from the Kent engine as used in older Fords and I'm sure the Type 9 gearbox would fit. There's no shortage of these engines with plenty of Kas & Fiestas in scrapyards. Another to consider is the Rover K series which is fine once a decent head gasket has been fitted and the plastic dowels have been replaced with steel ones. There's an abundance of Rovers in the scrapyards that will yield a suitable K series. I'm sure the Type 9 would fit this engine as well. Just a couple of engines to consider.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle