The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: NEX - Fast Road Sprint !
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:10 pm 
So I may have been a bit bored and bought myself another sprint.....

Basically for those who don't know much about us, it's me and my old man on here after we restored our first sprint a few years ago now. We started it when I was 13... some kids got expensive bikes or ponies but there's me with a dolomite! Think we know who had the better childhood :wink: :lol: . So after the sprint was completed we were thirsty for more and ended up getting a Triumph 2.5PI saloon as it was that car that even got me into classics after our old one. The PI is all finished now so were giving the restorations a break for now! But i passed my test and quickly got bored of modern cars so got myself a lancia which ive now sold to get another dolly! And here we are!

So this isn't really a restoration project (well not planned to be!). The plan is to turn her into a fast road sprint as a toy basically so i can hopefully use on track days (if i can raise the funds!) Here's some pics next to our first sprint. (First sprint being KNJ mimosa yellow, new one NEX inca yellow)

Now no offence to previous owner but she is quite doggy despite how she looks in the pictures.... Mainly doors and inner wings. Underneath is sound though!! Like a new car almost! Needs a few things doing to it but is expected for the price so im happy with it !! :D :D

So let me know what you think! If theres anything you would / wouldnt do?
Ill do my best to keep it updated :lol:
Cheers,
Shep

Last edited by shep on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 am 
Quote:

So let me know what you think! If theres anything you would / wouldnt do?
The only thing I would do is put the strap back around the washer bottle and then drive the car as much as possible! :lol:

Looks terrific, well done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
Cheers Alan! Yeh dont worry I will definately be doing both of those things!! :D
Will update when photobucket lets me upload more pics :evil:

Cheers,
Shep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 pm 
So here's a quick update:
The car came with another parcel shelf so replaced that because the old one was a bit battered!! Managed to bolt some good carpet around the cd player to hide the silver back unit. Also had a steering wheel which came in the boot of our original one so swapped that over as well.

Interiors is all up together now. I do have these bucket seats but whether ill put these in or not well see! Would rather more period seats to be honest!

Also found these second hand K&N's for £30! So cleaned them up and put them on! Think it may have slowed performance down a tad tho so carbs might need a tweek.....

After driving back with everything working I get home and wipers, washers, overdrive and rear demist STOP WORKING!! Simple fix though just needed a link in the aftermarket fusebox! Connector must of just temporary bridged off the other fuse :? I plan to neaten it up eventually....

That's about it for now I think, will update soon!
Cheers,
Shep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:43 am 
TDC Member

If you're going to be doing track days then I would fit the Sparco seats and get harnesses.

You may need to fit richer needles unless you already have BBTs fitted. Try to get some cold air ducted to the K&Ns.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am 
Yeh I have 4 point harnesses to go with the seats. Might just put the standard box back on for now but am looking at picking up ducting for a cold air feed. Hopefully over the winter we can build up another engine we have to a higher spec.

Cheers,
Shep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:32 am 
Quote:
So here's a quick update:
The car came with another parcel shelf so replaced that because the old one was a bit battered!!
Hi Shep, don't suppose the vinyl covered foam bit along the front of your old one is still in good nick is it? If so would you sell it to me?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:08 pm 
Sorry mate it has started peeling off. If you like i could send you some pictures and if your still interested you can have it for the price of postage?

Cheers, Shep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:05 pm 
Yes please, as long as the vinyl isn't torn I would be interested. Could you PM me a picture please?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:03 pm 
Hiya just been out to take some photos and the vinyl is torn a bit :roll: I will PM you the pictures just let me know if you want it.

Cheers, Shep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:27 pm 
Thanks for the pictures, as you say it's a bit too far gone.

Very grateful for you giving me the opportunity.

Good luck with the car, as I sad before - it looks a cracker.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:15 am 
No worries mate! Cheers !! :D

Okay so another update! When I bought the car the prop centre bearing had gone on a bit so took a gamble and swapped the whole prop with one we had spare. The spare prop was fine fortunately tho! Heres a pic of the old one:

Also, bought myself a lil present which arrived yesterday morning, Goodridge braided brake hoses :D

Paid a little more for red ones even though there not really seen but ah well, I know they're there! :lol:

Before

During

After

Just got the back one to do now which hopefully get round to doing at some point today!!
Also removed the front bumper as it was somehow held up with just two remaining nuts!

The bumper isn't in the best condition so bit reluctant to put it back on but well see!! Now I know removing the bumper isnt to everyones taste but it needed to come off and the more I look at it the more I like it!!

Next on the hit list is lowering springs but need to sort out some pennies first!!
Cheers,
Shep

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:45 am 
both cars look good shep and great to hear what you are doing with the new one. Cracking project, well done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 am 
Cheers mate! Much appreciated! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Looking good, i have the same with my own prop, lucky i managed to win a good second hand one off ebay last year ( centre bearing rubber like new :) ), just got to fit it now :x