The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:29 pm 
TOP work there fella :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

...good progress on the welding -fabricating your own pieces is a black art - excellent work!
( wish I would've learnt when I was your age - I would of had photo's from back then of MUCH healthier cars!! :lol: )

...very true about the discs - we cut up a car with just grinding discs...it took a while :lol: :lol:

Keep the updates flowing - you know how we all love pics!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm 

Last edited by Down&Out on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:15 pm 
:lol: Love that hole making device - spot on!

Were you good at jigsaws as a kid Jono? :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 pm 
TDC Member

Hole flaring is genius!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 am 
Quote:
:lol: Love that hole making device - spot on!

Were you good at jigsaws as a kid Jono? :)
Cant even remember, if not, making up for it in later life ;)

Dad can take credit for that one, i was just going to hammer it into shape, but by swinging the hammer of course, so hes saved me a tonne of time and stress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm 

Last edited by Down&Out on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 pm 

Last edited by Down&Out on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:41 am 
...don't fret jonno - you're making fine progress!

...at least you're under cover, my son and I are still out in the rain...and snow - can't really use a welder when its snowing...!

Good work - a little fettlin', and you're there...nice too see you banging loads of primer on the " under" bits - most people forget...ahem....well, I did some 20-odd years ago...18 months later...all had to come out again... :sadsack:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:43 am 
....and where did you get the cruise control? was it already fitted? the box looks " Proper" retro,

...I want one ! :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:59 pm 
Quote:
....and where did you get the cruise control? was it already fitted? the box looks " Proper" retro,

...I want one ! :eyes4u:
The bit in the engine bay was already fitted yeah, could never work out how it worked, then retro rides found me the module!

Thanks for the kind comment, we had hail today that layed a blanket like snow, so no progress of course ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:16 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Looking good there. I wish I could weld as good as that. My previous efforts were compared to the excrement of a certain type of bird (pigeon sh*t). Where did you get your balljoints from? The price you paid was less than from Rimmer Bros. I could do with a pair of top balljoints before the MoT is due. Don't use Hammerite on your suspension parts. It won't last and is prone to chipping as some on here will already know. I recommend using Super Flex bushes. I did when I rebuilt Brown's front suspension with the exception of the upper wishbones which had brand new rubber ones. Don't forget to renew the tie bar bushes as these are prone to wearing which will cause premature tyre wear. The bush in the lower arm is available in Super Flex but you'll need a big vice to get it changed. I had to take them to my mate's because my puny vice wasn't up to the job. They can also be prone to wearing.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:32 pm 
Quote:
Looking good there. I wish I could weld as good as that. My previous efforts were compared to the excrement of a certain type of bird (pigeon sh*t). Where did you get your balljoints from? The price you paid was less than from Rimmer Bros. I could do with a pair of top balljoints before the MoT is due. Don't use Hammerite on your suspension parts. It won't last and is prone to chipping as some on here will already know. I recommend using Super Flex bushes. I did when I rebuilt Brown's front suspension with the exception of the upper wishbones which had brand new rubber ones. Don't forget to renew the tie bar bushes as these are prone to wearing which will cause premature tyre wear. The bush in the lower arm is available in Super Flex but you'll need a big vice to get it changed. I had to take them to my mate's because my puny vice wasn't up to the job. They can also be prone to wearing.
My welding isnt that great, at least i dont think so. It would be if the metal was a decent thickness but thus far its just blowing holes!

Balljoints came from here beleive it or not, NOS ones.

Im not using hammerite as such. I used hammerite hammered effect on bits of my mini and smooth on the brake calipers and its crap. All the black paint i have been using and the blue i used for the suspension is enamel that costs me £1.11 a tin from the garden center i work in. The black is iron gate paint and gives a nicer finish in one coat than hammerite does in 4 or 5, the blue is the same, just not for iron gates. Not sure how it'll fare on the suspension but its better than hammerite so i can only hope it'll be ok.

As for bushes im poly bushing the entire car. Most the original rubber bushes are knackered so i might as well do the lot to be honest!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:19 pm 

Last edited by Down&Out on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:07 pm 
Excellent progress Jono, the especially when the weather conspires against you right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:13 pm 
Thankyou!

This is probably the last of the work considering its not going to go above 2 degrees over the next few days so it'll probably be next week when i do some more.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next