The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:20 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Cracking job has gone on here....

Well impressed.

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:32 pm 
Quote:
Cracking job has gone on here....

Well impressed.

Jonners
You're very kind!. First proper restoration this one, too.

I also thank you for your previous information on the early rev counter. Ive actually just purchased the proper type, could you put it into laymans terms exactly what i'd need to do to fit it into mine?

I.e. what i need to swap about, add, remove etc. Im a bit dim with technical terms until ive actually done a job.

In other news, stripped a brand new rear cylinder, bought a new one in error that was wrong, bought another one, fitted it today, bled the system and at last, for the first time since i bought it, it has brakes.

Sheared both downpipe bolts so i bought a new manifold, then sheared a bolt getting the manifold off. So ive got to wind that out somehow. For the MOT, which i theoretically have to have within 7 days, i need to finish the welding, fit the fuel tank and fuel lines, fit the exhaust manifold and exhaust system, fit an accelerator cable, repair one tyre and fit another, fit the front and rear lights and do a full fluid change.

I can probably do it, but i cant afford to insure it because ive been faffed about with jobs i was supposed to have but now dont for some reason - so its academic.

Last edited by Down&Out on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 pm 

Jono, you should get away with one sheared stud on the exhaust manifold. I replaced the exhaust manifold on my 1850 because my old one had 2 different sized threads on the downpipe studs and Rimmer's were selling brand new 1850 exhaust manifolds at the giveaway price of £20 so I bought one with brand new downpipe studs, spring washers and the brass nuts. Make sure you use gaskets with the exhaust manifold and it should be fine. The exhaust manifold was originally fitted using bolts on to the head but being alloy, the threads in the head can strip so you will need to be careful.

Looks like yours will be back on the road before mine...

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:21 am 
Yeah i bought a brand new one plus studs, nuts and gaskets. The bolt has snapped off in the head so ive got to address that but other than that im hoping it should be on soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:17 pm 

Never ever had that with an exhaust manifold to head bolt. They usually tear the thread out of the alloy head before the steel lets go.

Which one is it? Take off the manifold and maybe you can get hold of the rest with a stud extractor? Total sympathy....this could be a git of a job to sort.

Rev counter....grey and white wire goes to coil plus and the same in the loom goes to the single tacho terminal. May also be a black earth on tacho case.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:26 pm 
Quote:
Never ever had that with an exhaust manifold to head bolt. They usually tear the thread out of the alloy head before the steel lets go.

Which one is it? Take off the manifold and maybe you can get hold of the rest with a stud extractor? Total sympathy....this could be a git of a job to sort.

Rev counter....grey and white wire goes to coil plus and the same in the loom goes to the single tacho terminal. May also be a black earth on tacho case.

Jonners
Manifold is off. Its the top right hand one if you're looking down at it from the manifold side. Tried a stud extractor but it cant get enough purchase on whats left.

Im going to try and weld a nut to it and wind it out, seems the most logical solution, and the heat will help.

Everything on this car seems to shear. Even one of the rods that holds the battery retainer on went earlier.

Ive already accepted im never going to get it through an MOT within the next 5 days, and im potentially about to start a job, so i'll probably insure myself on our defender for a month which gives me a bit of leway to get everything working as it should as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 am 
Quote:

Everything on this car seems to shear. Even one of the rods that holds the battery retainer on went earlier.
My '76 Dolomite 1300 was like that, every job would turn into a marathon as the bolt would either round off or shear - damn frustrating when doing a simple 5 minutes job on a Sunday afternoon, then having the drill it out and then run around to try and find a suitable replacement before Monday morning when the car would be needed for work.

I believe it was down to a case of cost cutting by BL to find the cheapest source of fastenings around that time. You have my sympathies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:38 pm 

Try a smidge of a turn in the "do up" direction. It may break the corrosion locking it in. Also try a good squirt of plus gas.

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:35 pm 

Last edited by Down&Out on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm 
Every thing crossed here Jono :). I bet it felt odd actually driving it on the road to the MoT station though?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:21 pm 
TDC Member

Ooh that's a nasty bump on the nose, was the rad OK?

Bloody annoying when something like that happens, atleast you weren't on the road.

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know.

Have you sorted out the servo, you don't want it to happen again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 pm 
Quote:
Ooh that's a nasty bump on the nose, was the rad OK?

Bloody annoying when something like that happens, atleast you weren't on the road.

Good luck for tomorrow, let us know.

Have you sorted out the servo, you don't want it to happen again.
Yeah the servo was the vacuum tube collapsing leading to loss of brakes.

I bring good news, ive just got home and its passed its mot!

Just insuring now then tax then its drivey time!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 pm 
TDC Member

Well Done Jono

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:47 pm 
:mrgreen:

Another one back on the road. Made my day that has.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:57 pm 

Nice one Jono! Contrats on the pass. It is a testament to all your hard work.

Do you wanna come "up north" and give me a hand with mine? :)

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next