The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:58 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
On the Vems 2 wires just go straight back to the ECU, I think I used a piece on twin core screened.
Will you run sequential or batch injection? I'm in the process of fitting Hayabusa throttle bodies to my Webber inlet manifold and I'm scratching my head deciding which way to go. I can do batch relatively cheaply but the sequential setup requires a better ECU, I think.

1981 1500 HL man/od
1972 Series 3 Land Rover diesel
2007 MX5 Sport
2010 Citroen C1
1993 Gas Gas GT32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Sequential, there's no advantages I can think of to batch injection other than having to run three less wires and a few less transistors in the ECU. I forget exactly what spec the ECU in Neil's is but I *think* it has 8 (for staged injectors if it looks like a good idea/sufficiently shiny, not so that it's interchangeable with mine at all) injector channels and 4 ignition.
Ignition is wasted spark with a peugeot coil pack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 pm 
The only thing with wasted spark if you wanted to run nitrous
Is it can blow your bonnet off !!!!
I'm using sequential on mine now :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 am 
TDC Member

Neil, I also see you are going for a poly-vee fanbelt. This is what I'm doing however,I've yet to find a suitable crank pully/damper. Is the one on your engine a toothed BMW one?

1981 1500 HL man/od
2007 MX5 Sport
2010 Citroen C1
1993 Gas Gas GT32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 am 
yes it is indeed BMW, though I can't remember which off the top of my head. I can look it up later if you want?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 am 
A small update
Scavange tubes / strainers for the sump machined up.

Billet steel crank and high compression pistons turned up.

Airbox lid prototype made up.
unfortunately this project is going to have to be put on hold for the next 6 months to year and a half, hopefully I will be able to do the odd bit to keep it ticking over.

Last edited by Neil907 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 am 
Quote:
unfortunately this project is going to have to be put on hold for the next 6 months to year and a half, hopefully I will be able to do the odd bit to keep it ticking over.
That must be frustrating? Life often gets in the way eh?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:19 pm 
Unfortunately so. Never mind, will get back to it. concentrating on putting the Jensen back on the road next then I suspect wedding stuff will be a big distraction.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:05 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
yes it is indeed BMW, though I can't remember which off the top of my head. I can look it up later if you want?
I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know which BMW it is meant for. Did you make the adapter to fit the crank nose too?

The next think for me is to suss out how to tension the belt. I quite like the sprung loaded modern tpyes, so will see how it starts to look on my mock up engine.

Tom

1981 1500 HL man/od
2007 MX5 Sport
2010 Citroen C1
1993 Gas Gas GT32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:39 pm 

According to ebay (you can't find it Neil because I bought it) it's for an M50 engine in an E34 or E36

A Triumph crank pulley (1850 I expect as we'd have more of those laying about that we don't have a use for any more) was modified to have that fitted to it.
Belt tensioner is the cam belt tensioner from a Golf mk2 8v gti , alternator is from a mk4 Toyota Supra SZ (same as a lexus ls300) these were both very much a case of "what have we got that'd fit nicely" rather than the best possible part for the job if you spent months researching it :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:44 pm 
Thanks Steve.
As for using the 1850 damper as a boss for mounting the new damper on, I will probably make one from scratch at some point as there is not a lot of meat to thread the bolts into.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:28 pm 
Hi interesting read but is there anywhere I can view the pics, I know its an old topic cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:33 pm 

Ah, I figured I'd get away with that for a while since he wasn't updating it at the moment...

They should be back in the next week, the computer they are hosted on got evicted from its home and is currently waiting for me to plug a monitor into it (and come to think of it probably a graphics card of some sort too) and see why it doesn't work :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:28 pm 
Quote:
Hi interesting read but is there anywhere I can view the pics, I know its an old topic cheers
I have made a start, I need to change all of the links as the hostname has changed, will try and get the rest done over the next week or so

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:56 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
I have made a start, I need to change all of the links as the hostname has changed, will try and get the rest done over the next week or so
Cheers

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next