The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 am 
Hi Lee, I'm just down the road from James in Bolsover - And I'm in almost every day as I work from home - feel free to pop over if you want to see one running/ fancy a quick blast if you want to know what she feels like...then you'll have a proper idea of why it's ALL worth it !

Pm me if you fancy a chat..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:38 am 
Quote:
Hi Lee, I'm just down the road from James in Bolsover - And I'm in almost every day as I work from home - feel free to pop over if you want to see one running/ fancy a quick blast if you want to know what she feels like...then you'll have a proper idea of why it's ALL worth it !

That sounds like a plan, I will be in touch.................... :D

To be honest, the last time I sat in a sprint, I was probably about 10 or 11, and I just thought that it was a rocket ship!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 pm 
Quote:
Quote:

That sounds like a plan, I will be in touch.................... :D

To be honest, the last time I sat in a sprint, I was probably about 10 or 11, and I just thought that it was a rocket ship!

you might be in for a shock then.......more ship less rocket compared to modern day stuff I fear. :wink:

looks a good solid car though Lee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 am 
Hmmm....as I;ve been driving my red sprint on a daily basis for the last two weeks now while Ive been doing an enormous amount of running around, Ive been very surprised at how she keeps up with ALL the moderns, noisy - yes, a little corse - indeed, but is that not part of the fun?
-even got a "Thumbs-up" from a biker on the back roads around here the other night which was nice!
...more fun than my everyday Volvo V70 - and puts more than a huge grin on yer face - just ask Racer Barrie "Whizzo " Williams...!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 am 
Hi everyone, sorry for the silence, been working 17/18 hour days at work, the beavering away in the garage when I have had chance. So, shell is in primer and will be in colour this weekend, then I want to wheel it out so I can paint the closures.
I have decided on a slight colour change, rightly or wrongly, I was looking through the colour chips and saw Vermillion (which my car is not) and it just jumped out at me, so she is going to be Vermillion. Anyway, here is where we are at the min..............

Etch primed all the bits that I had gone down to bare metal.................

Then primed and wet flatted............

Also should have a rather large box appearing from Rimmers today.......wooo hoooo!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 am 
Christmas masking paper!

its easter man !! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:36 pm 
Coming on well Lee, you know my son and I are only down the road if you need a hand...! :lol:

As we still hav'nt got an indoor garage space, we're still waiting for the snow t clear before we can work on our cars, which is a real shame,as everybody now seems to be at full steam with ALL the restorations on here... :oops:

Vermillion is one of the better colours on the late colour card, should look stunning when painted! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:10 pm 
Soooooooooo, shell has paint on it! Chuffed with the job, I have a few runs, but nothing to worry about, but the paint is about 1mm thick!..............

Not a bad shine out of the gun................look even better when I have flatted and polished her!

Tried to get the reflection of my sizable hand for a comparison, but doesn't really say much.............

Also, yesterday I had a few deliveries, and I now have a huge stack of new bits to bolt to her, she is being treated to:-full set of new wishbone bushes, brand new ball joints, track rod ends, steering rack gaitors, steering column bushes, rear tie rod and trailing arm bushes, new front and rear shockers and springs, onto the engine, new water pump, head gasket, cam chain, tensioner and guides, and damn good service including plugs, points, condenser, leads cap arm etc. Should keep me entertained for a day or two! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:04 pm 
Nice work with the gun!
..only wish I had the chance to paint one the 4 projects underway in our house... :snivel:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 am 
So, another busy old Sunday................. Got the paint on the shell flatted and cut back, and I am well pleased with the shine. Then I have started to put some bits and bobs back on, some will have to be painted so this isn't gonna be a quick job..................

Keep 'em peeled..................... :suntan:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 pm 
TDC Member

Looks great! Vermillion is a fantastic colour 8)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 pm 
Nice work... 8)

...are you keeping your old vinyl roof on Lee?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:05 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Smashing work there Lee, good to see those doors are going to be used in a good cause.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 am 
Well, very tiring, expensive but ultimately very rewarding weekend..............

Firstly, massive thanks to Lord Tolly from whom I purchased some doors, not only do I now have an excellent N/S rear door toi replace the poorly repaired one that was originally on the car, I also have a few spares so I can "cherry pick" the best ones for the car.
Sunday, I took a trip to Rimmer Bros at Lincoln, it was actually an SD1 day, as to which I attend every year, but having a 15% discount to go at, and not really needing anything for the Rover, I utilised the discount to good effect for some more bits for the Dolly. I now have a HUGE stash of lovely shiny bits to bolt to the car as soon as the paintwork is done, including a lovely, shiny stainless exhaust 8) .
The only downside, was I didn't really get to touch the car, so I need to be double productive this weekend to compensate.

Keep em peeled.......................................... :D

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:29 pm 
I have a big update looming, but in the meantime, a tech question.................

I am just making new brake pipes up, and was wondering regarding the rear axle proprtioning valve. Mine is siezed, and I notice Rimmers do not list a valve, or even a seal kit for such an item. Should I just pipe it up and hope that it is in a fairly decent position, do I attempt to free it off or do I by-pass it altogether?

TIA........................ :suntan: