The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:36 pm 
In 2009, whilst at a local classic car show, I was told of a very low mileage Dolomite 1300 that had been given (free) to a young club member. The car sounded superb: under 20,000 miles, dry-stored since 1991, only one owner etc. I was intrigued so, doing my best Sherlock impression, managed to track down the car's new owner, sending him a cheery 'if you ever fancy selling...' e-mail. A few days later the guy got in touch and explained that much as he liked the car, he preferred his Spitfire. If I was prepared to make a contribution towards the Spitfire's respray, the Dolomite could be mine. :D

Like all good stories, this one took place on a cold and dark night. I found myself back on the mean streets of Southampton, not far from from my student house of some years before. Sitting on the driveway, just yards from what I knew was a pretty dodgy pub, the car looked good. Very good. I was greeted by it's owner, a man in considerable distress as he had just consumed a fearsomely hot chilli to win a bet. I knew it was going to be an odd buying experience.

Cursory checks were made - I had already decided that it was definitely coming home with me - and a price agreed. Undamaged, unpainted, unwelded, fantastic! Deposit paid and hands shaken, I drove home happy. Happy and a little concerned. It was a little too close to that pub. What if someone decided to 'tank' the car whilst under the influence?! Stressed. When back in my own area I paid a late-night visit to my local 'friend with a Beavertail' and plans were made to collect the car the following evening.

If anything the night of collection was worse than the night of purchase, it was absolutely chucking it down. A friend of many years had decided to join us, simply as he enjoys poking fun at the ridiculous vehicles I buy. Nice. To my relief the car was there and unharmed. My recovery guy loaded it very quickly, money was exchanged and we set off home. Very quickly. very quickly indeed. It transpired that he had agreed to do a number of collection jobs that night and he was anxious to get back. he cheerfully explained that when the needle on his speedometer pointed to a particular screw on the dashboard, that meant 90mph. I despaired. Despaired and offered him more money to slow down. The Dolomite was bouncing around on the flatbed like some sort of crazed rabbit. Fortunately we got home safely and the car was safely unloaded and pushed onto my drive. Phew! :D

Then nothing. Absolutely nothing, until earlier this year. I always had the best intentions for the car and spent a fortune in the intervening period on NOS parts and accessories, but life, other cars and my caring responsibilities always got in the way. So it sat, wrapped up and protected, until 2013.

So, with time on my hands, the planets aligned and a few quid in my pocket, I decided to take the plunge and put it on the road. Fluids were changed, checks were made, a rear exhaust section fitted and that's about it. I didn't even wash or hoover it, just put it straight in for an MOT and....failed! Oh well, only a track rod and a lower balljoint, so not bad at all really. I replaced the track rod ends and balljoints as pairs and re-bushed the suspension as it seemed like a good opportunity to do it and re-submitted the car for a test: passed! Crikey, that was easy! :D

So the car is back on the road for the first time since the early nineties. I filled the boot with all sorts of spares, expecting something (hoses etc) to blow at any time and pressed it into daily use - what could possibly go wrong? Well, as it transpires, nothing. It has been used for everything and endears itself to me more each day. As you can imagine, everything on the car is tight and new-feeling: the engine needs to loosen a bit, the gearbox is slick, the rear axle silent, lovely!

Now the confessional: I still haven't cleaned it. I mean I've washed it off roughly with a sponge a few times, but I've not polished it, hoovered it or done anything of any consequence to make it look better. The paint is tremendously dull at present. However, changes are afoot! Over the course of the next couple of weeks the car is booked into a local bodyshop to have some very small areas of paintwork done: the paint has crept away from the rear wheel arch lips, there is a bubble on the bootlid, a chip on the valance etc. Once this is done I intend to remove all of the exterior trim and clean and detail the body - I want everything as new. Being white the awful 'shadow' dirt lines behind the stainless trim are even more pronounced. I have NOS grills and a NOS spoiler for the front and will also fit NOS bumpers. The interior will be removed and deep cleaned. Underneath will be steamed and totally repainted. I hope to ensure that the car is protected and really looks the part.

Now, if you have been bored by these ramblings, you may have scrolled down and seen the pictures below...the wheels...let me explain: what we have here is a set of Cosmic Mk4 alloys, as fitted to the Panther Rio Especiale. The colour, well, it was a bet: my girlfriend gave me a HotWheels Datsun 510 (in white) that sported a particularly vibrant set of blue wheels, "bet you wouldn't paint your wheels that colour..", well, a bet's a bet! Rest assured, whilst the wheels are staying (for now), the colour will soon be changed to something rather more sober and in-keeping. :D

The MGB steering wheel is a temporary (failed) experiment and will be replaced by a NOS TR8 Mota-Lita. These changes aside the car will remain standard, but a Retro-Sound iPod based stereo will be sympathetically installed at some point too - no trim will be cut, of that you can be certain! New number plates from Framptons are pending too. I'm fighting myself on fitting the redundant set of coilovers in the garage...

I hope everyone likes the car and excuses the wheels! I'll update this thread as and when improvements are made. :D

IMG_1073

IMG_1076

IMG_1075

IMG_1080

IMG_1082

IMG_1086

Last edited by 2drToledo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:27 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Ideal Sprinting candidate.....

dives for cover smirking....

Loose the wheels too,. They suck...placcy seats too. Must be an early one...Nice.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 pm 
Sorry Jon, wheels will stay for now! :lol: Their colour will change though, promise. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm 

It looks a lovely little car.

how about a nice set of sprint alloys (RUNS FOR COVER) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 pm 
Glenn, as a man who has seen some of my alloy wheel collection, you can confirm that there are no Sprint wheels, right?! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:40 pm 

sprint wheels are everywhere and everyone has got them

I think that you should actually fit that lovely set I see you had in your garage you showed me.

wheels aside it is a lovely looking car.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:51 pm 
The Cosmic Mk3s, possibly. I'll offer them up but will probably fit the MAGs (you may not have seen those) longer-term.

I swap wheels and colours regularly on my cars, but never, ever have standard and never, ever, ever silver! :D

Nice to be different. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:55 pm 

I do like alloys cosmics or slots are my favorites but on the toledo im going steelies because I don't want to be like everyone and their mother with sprint alloys and the steelies will be colour coded to the car with some nice trim rings which is far more interesting than silver.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:57 pm 
Sounds good Glenn. :D Do let know if you need the trim rings: I don't have any myself put can point you in the direction of someone who does!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 pm 

Cheers for that dude, luckily I have my old set of 13inch ones left over from my Vauxhall Viva days.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 pm 
TDC Member

Having seen this car, it really it amazingly clean. Spotted only just last weekend going round a roundabout with a fair chunk of bodyroll indicating the owner was throughly enjoying himself at the wheel :lol:

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 am 
Really Howard?! Strange, there must be another white Dolomite with blue wheels in the area. Ahem. :wink:

That said, must fit that rear anti-roll bar...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 am 
Lovely car that. As said must be early to have the vinyl seats (I have only ever seen them on R plate cars).

Those wheels are fine (if they were another colour of course :lol: ).

Great right up - thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 am 

My Dolomite 1300 had vinyl seats and it was on an S plate.

I don't see a problem with having different wheels. It is one change that can be easily reversed. I like Glenn's ideas of colour coding the wheels which would work quite well with some colours.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:04 pm 
TDC Member

Colour-code the wheels to match the interior maybe?

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6