The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:29 am 
Quote:
£2k isn't too bad considering what some others pay.
Have you considered a black box scheme to keep his insurance costs down, I know some have the 'big brother watching' paranoia but I know people who have saved a large wad and of course it keeps them driving safely.
Black box scheme is something i have not heard off, please tell more? how/when/why

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Quote:
£2k isn't too bad considering what some others pay.
Have you considered a black box scheme to keep his insurance costs down, I know some have the 'big brother watching' paranoia but I know people who have saved a large wad and of course it keeps them driving safely.
Black box scheme is something i have not heard off, please tell more? how/when/why

Some insurers, co-op being one but there are others have a scheme for young drivers where they have a GPS 'black box' fitted which tracks the drivers habits, speeds etc. this is downloaded for the 'net and if you keep within the green or orange band then your payments change accordingly.
Drive like a loon and you pay top whack and they will not insure you next year, drive well and next year you can get a big discount (more than you would with one years NCB).
Some have late night curfews but this can be waived if you work shifts etc.

This link will give you some idea but it will be worth ringing around other insurers or brokers for a young driver as usually increased excess, limited mileage no stereo cover etc can make a difference.
http://www.comparethebox.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:43 pm 
TDC Member

Off the top of my head no, when we looked at insurance for the nephew a while back, we considered all options to try and find something that was somewhere near affordable, most of the black box ones we looked at wouldn't consider anything over 20 years old, thus ruling out most classics.

I wonder if a search of confused etc that offer BBI would throw up those that will and won't insure on 20+ year old cars?