The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: '76 Dolomite 1850HL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:43 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

You know when you probably shouldn't buy a car but one crops up for sale locally so you go over for a look?

Well...

It's a 1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL, it's finished in Inca Yellow with vinyl C-pillar trim (peeling) and black sills (Hammerite). It's got a 1854cc slant-4 motor (also used in Saabs) and has twin carbs, its done 84,000 miles and has a 4-speed manual gearbox, without overdrive sadly. It's also sitting on Sprint alloy wheels, which set it off nicely. Oh, it's also filthy in all the pics as the PO was using it as his daily driver and he had a 1975 Rover 2200TC in the garage.

I bought it last night (having viewed a few days ago) for the princely sum of £850 and used it for my commute today and it seems to be a pretty solid car. The 1300 has been SORN'd and taken off the road for winter or until after it's engine rebuild... Setting aside the fact I just spent the engine money on another car...

Dad broke the aerial within 5mins of me buying the car, it's now stuck inside the front wing until the rain lets up and I can retrieve it...

This is the current ICE setup, the radio (original MW/LW unit) isn't connected and I don't know if it works anyway...

I have no financial sense and this will be a disaster, but fun for you to watch... :wink:

Post subject: Re: '76 Dolomite 1850HL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 pm 
Now that is very, VERY nice indeed...! You are one lucky chap...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:03 am 
Very nice - just remember when you're driving - it's a proper car, with power, and rear wheel drive. It's not your 1300!!
Looks great. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:34 am 

Okay the greatest fear on this for you will be coolant loss.

If warm air EVER stops coming out of the central heater vent or any sudden upward movement of the temp guage stop immediately.

Carry a plastic can of coolant in the boot and the odd length of heater hose and you will live forever....well almost.

I've now done over 30 years behind the slant 4 of various types.

If you see a cheap TR7 engine up your way buy it.

Keep an eye on the boot floor and dont let it get wet. Put waxy oily stuff over the seams...

Rear light seals are the usual boot leak point.

Now you have a real one....:-) Lovely.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:05 pm 

What sort of temperature should I be getting? The original dial works but isn't accurate, it goes all over the place. It's got a digital gauge fitted that displays the temp in degrees Celsius and that sits pretty stable, what should it be reading?

Boot is dry and rust free, which is nice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:27 pm 

Nice....good news on the boot.

Thermostat should open at 82 or may have an 88. You should get away with an 88 in the frozen north. Make sure you have antifreeze in (Bluecol is my favourite)
and also keep an eye on dribbles from the water pump slot behind the alternator. I usually find the water pump seals on these last about 80k miles
but less if the car has stood for a while...

Do an oil change with a good 15W 50 oil and make sure you get a proper filter with the raised metal sealing lip and no paper ends. You will find your
first oil change with the old style removable element an interesting experience....but good for you.

Be sure to change the sealing ring.....lol. Stick a needle in it and it will pull out.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:24 pm 
The thermostat will open at 82, so the coolant must be above this temperature?
Or does it open and close as the coolant heats/cools when the car is up to temperature?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:30 am 
Glad to see someone bought it. Does it have an electronic temperature gauge? Might've been the one I was interested in and talking to the owner about a few weeks back. She's a nice motor... I'm very interested to see what you get up to with her! :D

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 pm 

It's the yellow one with the electric temp gauge that you mentioned about finding somebody to view a while ago. Cosmetically it's awful, alright from 100 yards but it's wearing a cheap re-spray with over-spray all over the place, a finish the is rough to the touch and crazed/cracking paint that is down to the primer in a few areas.

Seems to drive well enough, certainly a strong pulling engine, perhaps a little tappety but far better than the 1300. Bodywork is probably a bit better than the 1300 in terms of rust but it's had more welding done in the past, some of which is pretty ropey, the passenger footwell in particular is a bit of a mess. But as it is living outside this is ideal as I won't feel guilty if it rots out, as its an ideal chance to re-do the work to a decent standard. :D

Due to me spending all my money on it the car 1850 is currently my daily driver, as it's got the most fuel and I'm conserving the Corsa's fuel for if the 1850 goes wrong. :lol: Done over 100 miles already in various weathers and it's coping well.

A few issues:

1: The steering wheel is off centre. Also, the wiper stalk is positioned too low so only the first setting works, it won't go any further without hitting the surround. It's like the whole mechanism has twisted around the steering column.
2: The passenger side footwell is a lake, same as the 1300 but more of a problem as it lives outside. I'm guessing clogged up drain passages.
3: I tried attaching the radio and only caused a burning smell and accidentally making the aerial cable live. :shock: Tested my two spare radios indoors on the 1300s battery and they seem to work without setting on fire. Must be a problem with the 1850s wiring.
4: The rear view mirror fell off and won't go back on, it's one of those suction cup ones. :lol:
5: Driver's side rear door won't open from the inside, it's not the child locks. ;)

Also, couldn't help myself... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:38 pm 

Quote:
Very nice - just remember when you're driving - it's a proper car, with power, and rear wheel drive. It's not your 1300!!
*sigh*

Well, despite my examination of the car before purchase I neglected one thing. Tyres.
I had a look at one of them, notice it was a Dunlop all season jobby and thought nothing more of it, of course just because I always ensure my tyres are matching, replaced together when possible and under 7 years old doesn't mean anybody else does.

I feel that running on 4 completely different tyres, at least one of which isn't manufactured any more, coupled with my lack of experience of unintentional oversteer in the wet might have contributed to my brief trip backwards into a fence on Monday morning...

Destroyed a wheel, bent a half shaft and drive flange on the curb, buggered the steering rack the same way and put a massive great dent in the rear wing with the fence, the bumper side mount also sheered for good measure. :( Was rather an unpleasant experience, between other motorists laughing at me or the one lorry driver that got very annoyed that it was still partially on the road forcing me to limp it to a parking space on a buckled tyre that looked like it was going to explode.

It's now sat at the local garage while I wait for parts to arrive and I'm left to reflect that I now have 2 Dolomites and neither are drivable...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:53 pm 

The crucial thing is do not let the insurance company write it off.

A wheel is 25 quid, diff about 50 and rack about the same. I suspect though with the diff you could get away with a new hub. Are you sure its even bent?

I'd stick another wheel on and try it first before condemning it.

Looks to be about 2-300 quid of wing damage at a decent body shop.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:25 pm 

Thankfully all I hit was the curb and a 1960s council fence that came away completely unscathed, so no need to go through the insurance.

I have a spare set of steel wheels that came with the 1850, I've swapped those for the 1300's wheels which have nearly new tyres, those will go on the 1850 until I can afford another Sprint wheel and a good set of tyres for them.

I've sourced a half shaft and hub from a breakers yard, although the garage said there is no damage to the axle or differential and the the steering rack should be fixable with a new UJ and some mounting rubbers for good measure. Although you can't see it the rear wheel does actually sit with a toe-in stance and doesn't rotate smoothly. I got off pretty lucky as I just caught the edge of the wheel with the curb, had the curb been taller it'd have caused more damage, the fela' also said if I'd done the same thing in a newer car I'd be looking at much more damage and a lot more cost...

The wing is of no great concern to me currently, it already had a dent anyway that had been badly filled in. I can have that sorted later, I hope to get all the bodywork issues rectified in one go at some point rather than doing bits here and there. I'll just sand it back and paint it for now, to stop it from deteriorating as much as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 pm 
:( Sorry to hear that, at least you're OK, it could've been worse.
I got my first 1850 as a teenager and put 50k on her before scrapping it, driving in all weathers. I also rolled it in snow/ice and it went through another MOT!
Fast forward over 30 years and I am shocked at how easy it is to provoke a lack of grip from my 'new' 1850.
I blame it on less than optimum tyres, 30+ years of front wheel drives and - the crazy speeds everyone (including me) has gotten used to doing in any weather conditions. 30mph on roundabouts in wet weather - no problem. But not in my 1850. At least not in the wet :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:57 pm 

As long as the brake unions come undone getting the half shaft out and swapped is no big deal.

I would advise looking at another rack, or swapping out the one from your 1300 too. Also be careful the 1300 wheels are 4.5J and not 4J only. The size is stamped on the rim about where the hub cap goes.

I have a spare sprint wheel in need of a polish if you want it - not dear. I'll stick it in the Golf when we visit MaryCulter at Christmas.

Suggest a set of winter spec tyres...probably more easilly available in 175/70, which would fit better on the Sprint alloys.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:42 pm 

as Edin said, it could have been much worse!

glad to hear that you are ok and the car is fixable!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23031

Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport YL08 XBZ with factory fitted Performance Pack - Sold 22/05/21
BMW 330d Touring M-Sport WN63 XPY - best daily ever

Proud TDC Member!