The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 am 
roughly the same system in SA Martin, except we don't have the roadworthy check for any vehicle except those brought in from interstate. Same 90 day log book/club deal. Once a car is registered in SA it is almost good for the term of its life, presuming the car doesn't get defected for an obvious problem. All our club inspectors do is confirm the vehicle hasn't been modified from its original condition.

I did some analysis on road accident statistics, wondering if the less stringent SA laws result in more accidents due to unroadworthy cars. Seems not, the rate of accidents here is lower due to vehicle defects than in states with MoT equivalents.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, good to hear about your other cars. Should have guessed from the plate collection in the carport :)

stu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:44 am 
Gday Stu,
no worries about hijacking the thread, looks like i am going to have to take out the auto transmission as it dripping a large amount of oil when its at a stop.and appears to be leaking at front of auto. do you know if you can take auto out while engine is in car? if so, can you give me any hints.
do you have the one dolomite only? the yellow one?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:33 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

You can take the box out from inside the car but its a much easier job if you swing the engine and transmission out together on a hoist.

The 4 bolts that hold the converter to the flexiplate are pretty inaccessible when in the car, having done it recently.

Ar you sure its not the breather tube or the filler tube leaking? I've found other leaks pretty rare on these, even when cars have stood a while.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 am 
Hi John, i got under the car while it was running and saw that it only leaks from that rectangular inspection whole on the under side of the housing, between the pan and torque converter. does this sound like the front seal to you? as it drips for about another minute when engine turned off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:05 am 
two sprints here martin, one restored, the other a drive-able work in progress.

Can't say about taking the auto out with the engine in place, but once the engine is out, removing the autobox is a doddle.

stu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:32 pm 

Sounds like it but that's really one for Harvey as I am no auto expert.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm 

Quote:
i got under the car while it was running and saw that it only leaks from that rectangular inspection whole on the under side of the housing, between the pan and torque converter. does this sound like the front seal to you? as it drips for about another minute when engine turned off.
Sounds like a front pump seal. It will continue to drip after you've switched off because that was the fluid that was on its way from the pump to the outside world at the time.

As for removing the box, Dolomites are one of the few that I'd remove engine and box as one lump and split them on the floor. Because they have to be removed/refitted complete with bellhousing and converter fitted, it's a heavy lump, particularly removing through the inside, and IIRC removing from underneath means dropping the rear of the subframe. Reffiting is even more difficult. Plus all those hundreds of bellhousing nuts and bolts are so much easier to get at.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:35 pm 

I did it that way when the flexplate on mine broke. It is best to keep the torque converter on the transmission to avoid spilling any fluid. Going off on a slight tangent, has anybody seen the episode of Car SOS (the one starring Tim Shaw and Fuzz Townshend) where they get the autobox (I think it's a BW35 which is similar to the BW65 found in the Dolly) stripped down? It is no DIY job unless you know exactly what you are doing. Harvey is our resident autobox guru so you can take his words of wisdom as gospel.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:51 pm 

Quote:
Going off on a slight tangent, has anybody seen the episode of Car SOS (the one starring Tim Shaw and Fuzz Townshend) where they get the autobox (I think it's a BW35 which is similar to the BW65 found in the Dolly) stripped down? It is no DIY job unless you know exactly what you are doing. Harvey is our resident autobox guru so you can take his words of wisdom as gospel.
I saw it. Shame they asked for an SD1 gearbox and were sold a BW35 which was never fitted to those, along with a mismatched bellhousing and converter which meant the converter fouled, and so the box had to be removed 3 times before they solved the problem. Anyone who knew what they were looking at would have spotted that while all the bits were on the floor. As for the rebuilding of said BW35, a lot of spurious "expert" advice there as well....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 pm 

Quote:
Harvey is our resident autobox guru so you can take his words of wisdom as gospel.
I don't know about that. There's a fair bit of info rattling around in my head, but there's still room for the few new bits that come along to squeeze in there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 am 

You're the nearest we have to an autobox guru (you know more than anybody eles on here). Given the tools, facilities and tightening torques I'd strip down and rebuild an engine but an autobox is something else...

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:30 am 
Good to see another Victorian on here, 12 cars that very impressive, where in Vic are you? Nice colour dolly as well and certainly worth having, keen to see how it progresses as I really should get an 1850 as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 pm 
thanks everyone for your advice, looks like i will remove engine and transmission as one.
gday Dagget, i live in somerville, mornington peninsula, with a most understanding beautiful wife :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 am 
Somerville eh? We are way up in Trentham. Sounds like you are doing it alright though, we are only up to 6 cars here and that is about the limit I can get too without crowding the accommodation too much. Building a new shed as soon as permits arrive so might be able to expand a little.

If interested see if you can bring it out to any triumph club events, Dolys hardly ever turn up and if they do are always Sprints. We have an event in Docklands this weekend and the 2014 Concours is in March with the dolomite a feature car.

tccv.net

Good to hear about the wife, excellent stuff, my wife is the one who wants the Dolomite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:56 am 
Cant do this weekend, but the March one sounds good. can you send me details on where and when, thanks.